Neel's Palm Beach 22 build

Designs for inboard or outboard power

Moderator: BruceDow

neel thompson

Re: Neel's Palm Beach 22 build

Post by neel thompson »

We just got back home to PA after two months of perfect weather in Punta Gorda, FL. So I will clear the cob webs off the PB and get back to work. Not much more to do on the second (final layer) of Okoume cold molding on the sides and transom. Then a third layer of 6mm will go on the bottom from the transom forward to where the mahogany planking will start. The hull should be ready for planking sometime in April. Progress reports to follow….. Neel
Attachments
20191123_131447.jpg

Hercdrvr

Post by Hercdrvr »

Good to hear from you Neel,
Matt B

mrintense

Post by mrintense »

Welcome back Neel. Good to see you back on the PB. Looking forward to updates.
Carl

Crafting a classically styled Vera Cruise

Clipper Boating

neel thompson

Post by neel thompson »

Some time ago I reluctantly posted this:

This is not easy, but I must stop my PB22 build. Recently my wife and I bought a home In Punta Gorda, FL. We (mainly she) have decided to downsize our house here in PA. I simply won't have room to finish the build. We will most likely be buying a townhouse or small single with a small garage and maybe no basement. Right now the hull has two layers of 6mm Okoume plywood on the bottom and one layer on the sides and transom. I have enough plywood to get the second layer on the sides/transom and the third on the bottom up to where the mahogany planking will start toward the bow. I also have enough 1/8" mahogany planking left over from my past build to do the inside of the cockpit and maybe the engine room. I also have some other mahogany which could be resawn for side planking. I plan to keep working on the sides until someone takes over for me. I have more than $6K in the project so far and I would be willing to part with it for $5K if someone here on the forum would be interested. The hull is strong enough to flip and be loaded on a trailer (with the building form/dolly attached) for transport. It may also be possible for me to borrow a trailer and take it to the Gathering if that would help out. Please send a PM if interested. Thanks,,, Neel

UPDATE:
Since then I have restarted the build and have completed the cold molding process on the sides, transom, and bottom. Unfortunately I think I am going to have to part with the project. Our house is going on the market in a month and I simply am going to run out of space. Maybe in our new, much smaller, home I will be able to build something smaller in the future. But for now, I must move the PB22 out, and hopefully to someone who would like to finish her. I have some Okoume plywood and a good bit of mahogany I would let go with it. Originally I was asking $5K, but much more work and money have gone into the build since then. So now I would like to get $6K. It is still upside down and secured to the building form/dolly. Please send a PM if interested. I am not giving up the hobby, just changing directions......Thanks,,, Neel
Attachments
This is what it could be
This is what it could be
This also is what it could be

Gayle Brantuk

Post by Gayle Brantuk »

Neel,

I'm so sorry to hear you'll have to stop your build. Life is all about adjusting, that's for sure. What a great deal for someone out there to take over and complete--your workmanship is excellent. The best to you and your wife on this new part of your journey. Many blessings to you...

mrintense

Post by mrintense »

Sorry to here you have to do this Neel, even though it is perfectly understandable.

Knowing you're past history, I suspect you will find a new way to continue with this hobby and I look forward to hearing where you go with it. Good luck on the sale and moving.
Carl

Crafting a classically styled Vera Cruise

Clipper Boating

neel thompson

Post by neel thompson »

Thanks Gayle and Carl... I will be staying with the hobby, for sure. Something smaller than the PB22 is on the horizon.

hoodman

Post by hoodman »

Wish I could continue that project, Neel. I don't have the extra room or time for a build right now. I'm excited to see what you come up with next. I'm sure you could slap something together pretty quick living in the same place all the time.
Matt

Building a Geronimo......!
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=25139

kens

Post by kens »

Gosh, Neel,
Which is a better proposition, giving up on the PB22, or, building a garage at the new place just for the PB22?
You gonna stay in the hobby, right?
Oak is over rated, everything about it takes extra time; then it warps, splits or checks !!! :roll:

footer

Post by footer »

Neel, the Palm Beach 22 has been my dream boat for years. I even purchased and printed the plans (which I have close to $500 invested). But, I chickened out and went with the Malahini because I thought it would take too long to build the PB and I wanted to be on the lake now!
I have been watching your build with admiration. I would buy what you have finished so far in a New York minute if I could.
I hope you choose to finish it and keep posting pics.

vupilot

Post by vupilot »

Sorry to hear you wont be able to continue Neel. Wish you the best with the sale of your boat and your home.

neel thompson

Post by neel thompson »

Thanks for the kind words everyone... I will be choosing a smaller boat design to build in the future.

neel thompson

Post by neel thompson »

Well so far the PB 22 is still with me and as things are now, I don't see a way to sell our house in the near future. So I have continued with the build. I just finished the cold molding layers on the transom, sides, and bottom. So there are two layers all the way around of 1/4" ( 6mm ) Okoume. The mahogany will also be 6mm thick. I will be running another layer of ply on the bottom, starting at the transom and going about 2/3 of the way to the bow. Before that, I will be trimming the excess ply at the sheer and chine, and filling small voids and screw holes. Then she will be moved outside for sanding. I am so happy to be back to boat building even though I may have to part with it before it is finished, should we eventually sell our house and downsize. There are so many great builds going on that I am following.... Take care everyone,,, Neel
Attachments
20200505_114343.jpg
20200505_114312.jpg
20200505_114216.jpg

DrBryanJ

Post by DrBryanJ »

Happy to see you're back at it Neel.
Bryan

Building a malahini "Mona Lisa"

My wife said "If I build a boat, she's getting a divorce."
We're still happily married, but now she just wants "the dam boat out of the garage."

psychobilly

Post by psychobilly »

Need to name her "COVID19 Special"! or "Corona Time"

Glad to see that you're back at it Neel and staying busy.

Return to “Power Boats”