Moderator: BruceDow

neel thompson

Re: Neel's Palm Beach 22 build

Post by neel thompson »

I think I'm already there Lee.

billy c

Post by billy c »

Really nice lines on the PB! Are you raptor stapling the mahogany strakes? ...wish that was an option when I built the Belle Isle.
Billy
(insert Witty phrase here)
Billy's Belle Isle website

neel thompson

Post by neel thompson »

Billy
I have both the Raptor stapler and brad nailer. The staple gun constantly gives me problems, but I do use it in conjunction with 1" brads through the plywood planking and into the battens/chines, etc. I also staple through a rope to hold everything while the epoxy sets up. Then I remove the metal staples. I have talked to Raptor about the stapler and they told me they could fix the problem for about $30. I guess I need to take care of that someday. I would also like to use it on the plywood part of the deck when I get there.... Neel

denbrlr

Post by denbrlr »

I had trouble with my Raptor stapler. I worked with tech. support and it was determined that my wood is too hard. I returned the stapler and got a Raptor brad nailer. Works great.

Lee

neel thompson

Post by neel thompson »

Lee,
There has been much discussion here on the forum about the Raptor stapler problems. I am pretty sure Raptor reads the forum and Glen-L sells their products. You would think someone would take an interest in correcting the problems, especially considering what we pay for their products !! The stapler seems to hold much better than the brad nailer when applying plywood planking, but it is so annoying when you have an equipment problem when positioning and gluing a piece. There,,, I feel better now

Post by 283 »

These look interesting. Probably too big to of much use for boat building though. I have a hitachi nailer that looks pretty similar too their gun...might have to order a case one of these days and see if it works.

Wooden Nails
https://www.beck-lignoloc.com/en
Mike

psychobilly

Post by psychobilly »

283 wrote:
Wed Jun 24, 2020 3:44 am
These look interesting. Probably too big to of much use for boat building though. I have a hitachi nailer that looks pretty similar too their gun...might have to order a case one of these days and see if it works.

Wooden Nails
https://www.beck-lignoloc.com/en
L I B, what a neat invention! The video said it all.

billy c

Post by billy c »

Thanks for the heads up on the Raptor stapler. I was tinkering with some more cedar strip building and now thinking the nailer might be a better choice.
Billy

neel thompson

Post by neel thompson »

Billy,,,,, There is a problem with the brad nailer as well... The problem is that it sinks the brads below the surface of the wood, leaving a decent size hole to fill. I have found the only way to use it on finished planking is to nail through scrap 1/8" strips. Then after the epoxy has set up, tap the strips with a hammer which will break the brads off at the surface. Others may not have this problem, but I always have. I think there is a way to file something down on the front of the gun to prevent this, but I haven't tried it. Neel

Hercdrvr

Post by Hercdrvr »

No doubt, the Raptor nailer and stapler are problematic. I don’t get too hung up about the stapler denting the wood when it will be covered up by another layer of planking. As for the nailer to control denting, I monkey with the pressure until my grumbling is barely audible.
Matt B

billy c

Post by billy c »

Thanks Neil and Matt for expounding on the Raptor product. Saved me lots of $ And frustration

Gayle Brantuk

Post by Gayle Brantuk »

I emailed Raptor about these tool issues you've mentioned and they said that unless the wood is too hard, they usually don’t hear of issues with the tools. And, they are happy to discuss tools and projects with any customer: 800.460.6933

Hercdrvr

Post by Hercdrvr »

I don’t want drag the Raptor discussion out too far. As its use applies to boat construction, there is a fair amount of sticky epoxy involved when using the Raptor nailer/stapler which can’t help smooth operation of the tool. You should see how much dried epoxy is on my stapler and it’s still firing away. We are also asking a lot from these little plastic fasteners, especially in the bow and transom areas.
It can be a fussy tool that required some experience before I made friends with it, but there are several thousand Raptor fasteners in my Barrelback hull and I am thankful I didn’t have to pull out thousands of steel staples.
Would I buy a Raptor again? Yes.
Keep us posted on your build Neel,
Matt B

neel thompson

Post by neel thompson »

I agree Matt... Several thousand in mine also. It has it's limitations, but it also does things that no other tool can do. You certainly do have to become it's friend. We are still in Florida till the 15th and then back to PA to continue on the PB. I'm almost ready to line it out for the mahogany planking. Your BB is looking great. Neel

neel thompson

Post by neel thompson »

I have almost completely faired the hull and have lined it out for mahogany planking. I am using a similar method I used when building the Gentry. I drew plumb lines down the sides about two feet apart. I decided on six rows of 5" wide planks, so I went to the center of the hull where everything is somewhat flat. I marked down three plumb lines and put marks every 5 inches. I then used a laser level to connect the dots in the middle of the hull and marked the laser line forward a aft, putting marks on the line about every two or three feet. I made sure the lines would be slightly higher than the waterline (blue masking tape) as they went forward toward the bow. As it turned out, the bottom of the 5th plank makes a junction with the W/L at the transom. After making marks all over the hull sides, I connected them using a long batten. I stapled the batten to the hull to hold it while I put the lines down. I am getting close to ordering the mahogany. I am trying to get 35 pieces, each with net dimensions of 11" wide X 12' long X 6mm thick. I know they can do 10" wide but waiting on an answer about doing 11". Since I will be going with 5" planks, I would have a lot less waste if I can get the wider planks. Getting very excited to throw some mahogany on there !!
Attachments
20200724_161811.jpg
20200724_161743.jpg
20200724_161756.jpg

Return to “Power Boats”