Moderator: BruceDow

Gayle Brantuk

Re: Neel's Palm Beach 22 build

Post by Gayle Brantuk »

Beautiful, Neel!

acflynn

Post by acflynn »

Great looking progress, Neel! That makes me hopeful. Only several more months until I can make my hull another workbench like in your third photo!

Cheers!
Slowly building a Mist Miss in the Arizona desert

kens

Post by kens »

Neel, I can't wait to see it.
Something about those lines that,,,, I can't see it, but,,,,, I somewhat got a mind image, its gonna be awesome.
That plank at the sheer, the way it tapers, may give the hull a longer leaner look,
The 5 planks, 5 wide planks looks better than 10 narrow ones,
The plank at the chine, following the waterline, gives a balanced look, as if she's floating on her lines,
The side planks wrap around the transom, the seams, details like that add to the eye appeal.
Way to go Neel,
Oak is over rated, everything about it takes extra time; then it warps, splits or checks !!! :roll:

mrintense

Post by mrintense »

Man oh man, this is going to be different sort of beasty than the Gentry. Neel, this is so cool. I can't wait to see this planking progress move forward. And then some day, a beautiful 22 foot long wooden speedboat. Magnificent, just magnificent.

:D :D
Carl

Crafting a classically styled Vera Cruise

Clipper Boating

Ga-Steve

Post by Ga-Steve »

Very nice! I am glad you decided to finish it instead of having to let it go. Here it is 1:30 in the AM and I can’t sleep thinking about mine. Lord only knows how much sleep you are losing on that build. Yes, very nice. Steve

Hercdrvr

Post by Hercdrvr »

Looks good, you tapered a plank off at the transom. The bow has some creativity going on too! Your’e not jamming six planks into space between the chine and sheer at the bow. I like where you’re going.
Matt B

neel thompson

Post by neel thompson »

Thanks for the nice comments everyone. I took one of the pictures and flipped it to get a better idea of the how the planks would look on the finished product. A few small adjustments may be required, but overall I am happy with the layout.
Attachments
20200724_161838.jpg

denbrlr

Post by denbrlr »

Looks good Neel. Time for the pretty wood :) Did you use some sort of filler on the low spots on the planking?

Lee

neel thompson

Post by neel thompson »

Thanks Lee... I used West System 105 Epoxy with fast hardener and added West System 410 Microlight Filler until it was about like peanut butter. I have used that a lot in the past. It spreads nicely with no voids, dries fast, and is a breeze to sand. When I sanded the sanded the second layer of plywood, I got a little too aggressive where the panels joined and created some low spots. Getting all of that fixed now will make sanding the mahogany seem like fun. What did I say???

denbrlr

Post by denbrlr »

Neel,

I guess sanding is fun until you turn blue in the face :lol:

Lee

Idigplanes

Post by Idigplanes »

Anyone ever use a Senco composite stapler? They typically make quality tools and their line of staplers are a good bit cheaper than the Raptor.

neel thompson

Post by neel thompson »

Today was a good day.... I picked up the mahogany planking. I ended up with 40 pieces, 11"W X 12'L X 1/4" Thick. I have gotten all of my mahogany from the same place, Strarke Lumber and Millwork in Bangor, PA (Marianne). It is always perfect and exactly the dimensions ordered (net). She told me that several Glen-L boat builders have ordered from them but she couldn't remember names. It may be worth a drive if you are looking for a quality supplier... Time to start planking !!
Attachments
20200827_145411.jpg
20200827_151847.jpg

Gayle Brantuk

Post by Gayle Brantuk »

Great to hear, Neel! I've added it to our lumber list--online it looks like they are in Nazareth on Bangor Rd. I hope that's the right one...
https://www.glen-l.com/resources/lumber ... rs.html#PA

hoodman

Post by hoodman »

That is a REALLY nice looking stack of lumber!
Matt

Building a Geronimo......!
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=25139

Daryl

Post by Daryl »

Hi Neel, I would recommend the Omer composite nailer. I have fired thousands of the Raptor brads through this thing and have never had a issue. Every single nail has shot perfectly. Another idea that may work for you is these clamp blocks that I have made up to hold the mahogany until the epoxy sets. Upside is no nail holes at all. Downside is that you can only do 1 plank at a time. I screw fix the clamp blocks to the plywood and then the next plank covers the screw holes. It’s also great for the curved areas.
Attachments
A8C4BEBF-6E0C-4152-99FB-B967C3722ECB.jpeg
B0A849A8-863B-4BBB-9AC0-BE6B3CAB3B8A.jpeg
C59C1440-BD44-4577-AF7A-AE020644B8D9.jpeg

Return to “Power Boats”