Neel's Palm Beach 22 build

Designs for inboard or outboard power

Moderator: BruceDow

Bill Edmundson

Re: Neel's Palm Beach 22 build

Post by Bill Edmundson »

Neel

That is pretty much how we flipped the Bartender. :)

Bill
Mini -Tug, KH Tahoe 19 & Bartender 24 - There can be no miracle recoveries without first screwing up.
Tahoe 19 Build

neel thompson

Post by neel thompson »

Jimmy,,,, The way I am going to finish the hull starts at the waterline. I will stain the sides from the waterline to the sheer. Then seal the stain and apply about seven coats of varnish. Then I will put the boat in the water after motor, fuel, etc. has been installed to mark the exact waterline. Then I will adjust the bottom paint to the new water line. Then the boot stripe at the top edge of the waterline gets painted. Then seven to 10 more coats of varnish over the stained sides. No epoxy, no clearcoat.... Neel.

Ibrew2be

Post by Ibrew2be »

Greetings Neel.

Could you please say more about why you don't use epoxy when finishing above the water line?

Thanks.

Barry
Barry Shantz

Imp built and launched.

Slowly building Ken Bassett's Rascal

neel thompson

Post by neel thompson »

Greetings to you Barry,,, I don't use epoxy above the WL because I like the look of varnish (with amber tint) over stain. I certainly don't like working with epoxy either. Many others have, but I was never able to get a great finish on anything that was epoxy coated. So I have stuck with what I know, and it's that simple. Are you thinking about going to the Gathering in September? Take care,, Neel

kens

Post by kens »

Neel, are you brushing varnish on a project that big? or spraying?
Oak..........the juice ain't worth the squeeze :D :shock: :o :)

neel thompson

Post by neel thompson »

I used foam brushes on my Gentry, but thinking about rolling and tipping on this one

Roberta

Post by Roberta »

When I redid the Zip, I rolled with RedTree rollers and no tipping with Epifanes thinned about 10%. I initially long boarded between coats slightly with (I think) 400 just to keep things level. Later coats were just scuffed with Scotch Brite using a 6" RO air sander. 17 coats in all and the finish was BEAUTIFUL.

I used filler stains, Petit sealer, and Epifanes.

Roberta
Roberta "Queen of the Boat Builders"
Built Zip "Oliver IV", Super Spartan "Jimmy 70", and Torpedo "The Glen L".

Ibrew2be

Post by Ibrew2be »

Thanks for the perspective Neel.

Rosemary and I are still undecided about the Gathering this year. We likely won't decide until we get closer to the date, and would plan to stay in a nearby hotel.

Barry
Barry Shantz

Imp built and launched.

Slowly building Ken Bassett's Rascal

neel thompson

Post by neel thompson »

Still waiting for my strut so I can drill the shaft hole. So I have been getting ready to flip. The forward roll thing has been installed and braced in all directions. I can't install the aft one until the shaft hole has been drilled. I also put on three coats of bottom paint on the forward half and two coats on the aft half. The third coat will go on the aft section after the hole has been drilled. I also made a swim platform along with support braces, but that will probably be the last thing I put on the finished boat.
Attachments
20210601_131458.jpg
20210601_131520.jpg
20210601_131536.jpg

denbrlr

Post by denbrlr »

Neel,

Looks good. I know you are itching to flip her over :) and waiting for a part is painful.

Lee
YouTube channel: Boat Builder Lee
Monaco build YouTube playlist: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCP4Edb ... /playlists

Hercdrvr

Post by Hercdrvr »

Impressive contraption for flipping .
Matt B

Ga-Steve

Post by Ga-Steve »

Very nice, Sir! Good luck with the strut. Are they having trouble with the shipping? We’ve had two non boat items delayed several times. Steve

neel thompson

Post by neel thompson »

As far as I know, it hasn't been shipped yet. Just hoping shipping delays will not an issue...

neel thompson

Post by neel thompson »

I got news from Glen-L that my strut won't be shipped until 6/16. So I decided to install the rest of the "roll cage" and get everything braced and ready to flip.. The prop shaft hole will be drilled through the hull slightly aft of the rear roll thing. When the strut comes, I will drill the hole, touch up the bottom paint and hopefully get it right-side-up before the end of June. I will have to put a temporary hold on the boat build after that as we are going to Florida from 7/7 to 8/7. Here are some pictures of my flipping contraption
Attachments
20210610_092733.jpg
20210610_092802.jpg
20210610_092849.jpg

DaveM

Post by DaveM »

Mr Thompson - I used a similar setup on a 23 tahoe using 3/4 plywood and 2 X4's. The flip went smoothly with 3 people, but the catch is not lifting it up its when you get over center letting the hull down, or controlling the rate of fall. I used a small block and tackle attached high on the opposite wall to the direction of turn.

Return to “Power Boats”