16' Ski Boat Restoration

Designs for inboard or outboard power

Moderator: BruceDow

Milhouse

Re: 16' Ski Boat Restoration

Post by Milhouse »

mrintense wrote:
Sun Jul 05, 2020 1:09 pm
And I totally understand the feeling of getting stuck while trying to figure out what to commit to next. I've been through more of those than I care to admit.
Carl - Glad I'm not the only one!

I laser cut a template to route out the fuel fill openings. I used the center off-cut to align the hole by drilling a small hole in the center of it (not pictured).

I then did a 3/8" round over as there is a fillet on the edge of the fuel fill, it sits nice and flush.
Attachments
fuel2.jpg
fuel 3.jpg
fuel4.jpg
Jim
16' Ski Boat Restoration
17' Overnighter Sloop

I'd rather have a $h!tty meal than an $h!tty resume because a totally awesome resume will feed me steak one day - Steve Poltz

Milhouse

Post by Milhouse »

I also made some speaker enclosures for my front 6.5" Speakers.
  • Laser cut a template
  • Rough cut and then routed out 12 circles from 1/2" hydro tek
  • glued them all together with Tightbond 3
  • sanded them
  • epoxy encapsulated them
They will be getting mounted up front under the deck behind the dash.

I'm no audiophile but I think they are supposed to be ported. So if they sound like crap I'll drill a few holes in the sides and re-encapsulate.
I need to add one hole anyway for the speaker wire. I think ill just pass it though and wire it directly to the speaker instead of getting a bulkhead connector.
Attachments
speaker1.jpg
speaker 2.jpg
speaker3.jpg
Jim
16' Ski Boat Restoration
17' Overnighter Sloop

I'd rather have a $h!tty meal than an $h!tty resume because a totally awesome resume will feed me steak one day - Steve Poltz

Milhouse

Post by Milhouse »

I also went to two local upholsterer and got a quote for seats.

Front (Bottom + Back) about 60"x16", Rear (Bottom + Back) about 51" x 16

Material is from Advantage Marine.

I am providing the plywood (1/2" Hydrotek epoxy encapsulated)

One quoted: Labor $250, Material $140, Tax $10.86, Foam $150 = Total $550.86 (they use Stainless Steel staples)

One quoted: Labor $470, Foam $157 Material not quoted (assuming its the same as the other) Total ~$800

Seems like a better deal then trying to do it myself and buying a sewing machine.

What do you all think of the burgundy color seat with the navy hull and mahogany deck?

Would you do a sewn in stripe in the middle to match the king plank?
Attachments
Old Seats
Old Seats
Color choice
Color choice
Color choice
Color choice
Jim
16' Ski Boat Restoration
17' Overnighter Sloop

Milhouse

Post by Milhouse »

I was thinking of painting the back of the frame but I did what I thought would add a little more sexy so I veneered the back of this frame so that when one opens the engine box this should "pop" :D I didn't do a book match but I did try and match the grain so it wraps around the sides.

Process: I vacuum bagged to make a 2 ply veneer (same stuff I used on my dash, block figured Makore) to make it a little more robust and then clamped it on using a custom cut plywood caul covered in packing tape and a lot of clamps.

its got two coats of epoxy on it so far. Also got like 5 coats (some sanded thru) on the mid deck.

I had to take the alternator and water pump bracket off to get access to sand it, pretty easy, and good practice to know what tools I need to change an impeller on the water pump.
Attachments
Before Veneer
Before Veneer
After Veneer
After Veneer
Jim
16' Ski Boat Restoration
17' Overnighter Sloop

Milhouse

Post by Milhouse »

I got the deck installed.

I used a carbon fiber rod from McMaster as a pin to keep the deck from sliding around. its installed in adjacent corners on each piece; epoxied in place. easy and does not corrode, strong as an Ox! Not really any pricier than a SS Rod and epoxy sticks to it, win.

I drilled an oversize hole in the deck runners and filled it with epoxy. Then drilled a hole for the rod to fit in

The deck needed to be easily removable so I can grease the shaft log seal (i wanted a PSS but there was not enough room :( )
Attachments
deck3.jpg
Carbon Fiber Rod, epoxied in place
Carbon Fiber Rod, epoxied in place
deck1.jpg
Jim
16' Ski Boat Restoration
17' Overnighter Sloop

Milhouse

Post by Milhouse »

I also got the trans coupler re aligned to the shaft coupler (when I replaced the trans coupler because it was leaking trans fluid I never re-aligned it, it was off about 0.006"). I seem to pick the hottest days to do this frustrating procedure.

I bought a carb mount hoist bracket and it was nice and convenient to hoist from

My motor mounts do not have adjustment screws so I need to hoist the motor and add/remove shims to get it aligned. When I torque it down it seems to be off again....repeat...It SUCKS!

I ended up needing to add 0.010" of shim, done in 0.005" increments, in the front and remove 0.005" of shim aft. Got the coupler mate to 0.003" and I'm happy enough with it.

Next boat will have a modern adjustment system for sure.
Attachments
shims.jpg
Jim
16' Ski Boat Restoration
17' Overnighter Sloop

Milhouse

Post by Milhouse »

Installed the carpet on the aft sides. It was pretty easy, easier than I thought anyway. I sprayed both sides in about 2' sections, let it tack up (~2 min) and then stuck them together. I then rolled it with a veneer roller. Left it a little long at the bottom edge and cut it off with a razor when it was dry. Glue over-spray cleans up easily with Acetone. Really makes it look a lot more finished in my opinion. Now i just need to not get any epoxy on it...

I plan to do the forward sections next in three sections.

Got the carpet (20 Oz Charcoal) from https://boatcarpet.com they were very helpful via email and answered some questions I had very quicly.

Spray Adhesive

What do you all think I should do on the bottom deck? I have enough of this carpet (and a pail of the stronger adhesive for flooring) to do it. Or should I do some sort of removable rubber matting? Does the carpet dry out pretty fast or does it hold water? I need to be able to remove the bilge covers so if I do carpet them they will have to be done separately. Probably should roll the carpet around the edges, if so I probably need to cut then a bit narrower so they fit.
Attachments
carpet1.jpg
Carpet2.jpg
glue.jpg
Jim
16' Ski Boat Restoration
17' Overnighter Sloop

mrintense

Post by mrintense »

I can't remember the brand name, but I know several retailers offer it. It's basically a recycled plastic woven into a carpet like material. Supposedly just as soft as carpet but drains and dries very quickly. It's also paintable (with the right paint) so you could customize it. I'm considering this as my choice.
Carl

Crafting a classically styled Vera Cruise

Clipper Boating

Milhouse

Post by Milhouse »

Carl - So like a fake grass sorta thing?
Jim
16' Ski Boat Restoration
17' Overnighter Sloop

Milhouse

Post by Milhouse »

Got the speakers Installed today. Soldering upside down in cramped quarters, not fun!

They are mounted up under the dash on on port and stbd. The housing is 4200 and screwed into the bottom of the deck. They sound OK, not amazing. I will probably need to mound a rear set if the rear seat wants to hear music over the engine.
Attachments
speakers.jpg
Jim
16' Ski Boat Restoration
17' Overnighter Sloop

mrintense

Post by mrintense »

Jim,

Here are some links. It seems I saw another at some point, but I cannot find it. However, all of these are some sort of plastic or fiberglass.

https://www.marineflooring.net/

https://www.reliatex.com/search-result/ ... 20Flooring

https://www.sailrite.com/Fabrics/Marine ... e-Flooring
Carl

Clipper Boating

hoodman

Post by hoodman »

Speakers will never be any better than "okay" playing off the head unit. You generally need more power to get better sound. Your mounts look awesome.
Matt

Building a Geronimo......!
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=25139

Milhouse

Post by Milhouse »

Thanks for the links Carl - that https://www.marineflooring.net flooring looks really nice since it does not need to be glued down.

Matt - Yep its a little anemic but I figure that is a problem for a later day.

I epoxied in the mid deck stripes last night; they turned out good.
Attachments
middeck stripes.jpg
Jim
16' Ski Boat Restoration
17' Overnighter Sloop

mrintense

Post by mrintense »

Your welcome Jim. Just be sure to do some research on them because I've only done a small amount. There isn't anything I saw that concerned me, but best to check it out for yourself.
Carl

Clipper Boating

Milhouse

Post by Milhouse »

Finally did the deck lines! She is coming together now.

There is one little bubble that I need to fix, I sanded it out and there was a small void that will be filled. Guessing its from a air pocket that heated up when the epoxy was curing.

The deck was already encapsulated but I think ill try to put on three hot coats in a day without sanding between coats to build up some more protection (I plan on using 105 + 207). Then sand flat, maybe a coat or two more of epoxy. Then let it sit for 14+ days then varnish. I am looking forward to that shine!
Attachments
deck stripes.jpg
Jim
16' Ski Boat Restoration
17' Overnighter Sloop

Return to “Power Boats”