16' Ski Boat Restoration

Designs for inboard or outboard power

Moderator: BruceDow

Milhouse

Re: 16' Ski Boat Restoration

Post by Milhouse »

Put 4 coat of epoxy on 105+207, got all the coats before they cured about 8pm, 7am, 4pm, 7pm. I applied with a foam brush and then tipped it, hoping for a bit more thickness and bubbles than a roller. it worked good not super flat but pretty good.

My test is that if the epoxy in the mixing cup is still flexible and cant be cracked out of the mixing cup I'm good to re apply without sanding.

I let it sit a day or so and then started sanding it flat with 180 and 220 using the 6" Rotex. 207 is not supposed to amine blush but it was still clogging the paper a bit maybe it would not clog as much it it cured more. I sanded it flat but left some low shiny spots that were sanded out locally by hand. Some of the white lines are a bit low even with the neat epoxy so I was sure to scuff them up good for a good mechanical bond. Goal is that I don't feel them at the end.

Plan to add 3 or 4 more coats and sand flat again.
Attachments
after 4 coats of 105+207
after 4 coats of 105+207
After sanding
After sanding
Jim
16' Ski Boat Restoration
17' Overnighter Sloop

I'd rather have a $h!tty meal than an $h!tty resume because a totally awesome resume will feed me steak one day - Steve Poltz

JimmY

Post by JimmY »

Looking good. Use a long board on the last coats to flatten the surface. Otherwise you will see the low spots in the glossy finish.
-Jim
Nothing says poor craftsmanship like wrinkles in your duct tape!

Milhouse

Post by Milhouse »

Thanks for the reminder Jim. its pretty flat already from all the previous work and the low spots were just from the new coats of epoxy but i'll be sure to long block it. Ill probably roll on the next coats to get a more uniform epoxy distribution.

I got the wood for the seats cut out and put on three encapsulation coats this weekend. Used a lot of epoxy (something like 100 pumps for all the coats).

I decided to have the seat back stick up about 7/8" above the deck. I tried 2" but it was way too high.

Going to drop them off at the upholsterer this week.
Attachments
Rear seat
Rear seat
This shows the front seat with 2" protrusion, changed to 7/8". Rear is at 7/8"
This shows the front seat with 2" protrusion, changed to 7/8". Rear is at 7/8"
Encapsulated
Encapsulated
Jim
16' Ski Boat Restoration
17' Overnighter Sloop

I'd rather have a $h!tty meal than an $h!tty resume because a totally awesome resume will feed me steak one day - Steve Poltz

Milhouse

Post by Milhouse »

Test fit after the epoxy, I have a bit more ~1/8" clearance for the fabric to clear on each side.
Attachments
seats10.jpg
seats20.jpg
rear of seats.jpg
Jim
16' Ski Boat Restoration
17' Overnighter Sloop

mrintense

Post by mrintense »

Cool Jim.

I fret so much with the design aspects of my build. My artistic skills are limited so I always worry about balance and aesthetics. You guys make it look easy!
Carl

Crafting a classically styled Vera Cruise

Clipper Boating

Milhouse

Post by Milhouse »

Carl, your funny, I just spent the last 3 hours thinking on where exactly to put my rear cleats and I am still hesitant to drill a hole.

I was going to center the cleat on the covering board but now it looks like the clearance below for the nut will be very close to the side of the boat so i need to move it more inboard. I think I'll try to move it inboard by the golden ratio to have it look like I meant to move it inboard.
Jim
16' Ski Boat Restoration
17' Overnighter Sloop

hoodman

Post by hoodman »

In my case there was a butt block under the deck about 18" from the back of the boat. I figured that was a good spot since it was already reinforced. Sometimes the structure of the boat dictates where things go.
Matt

Building a Geronimo......!
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=25139

mrintense

Post by mrintense »

Building these boats is always a challenge in some manner or other. I've run into a few things like what you've mentioned. But if we want the look of these older designs, we have to take some of the shortcomings that go along with them I guess. I'll be posting a challenge I just ran into today on my build thread in a few minutes.

Regardless, I think when you get it out there for everyone to see, they are going to love it. :D :D
Carl

Clipper Boating

Milhouse

Post by Milhouse »

Thanks Matt and Carl. Looking at it again I probably could have moved it a bit closer to the center and still had room for the hardware underneath , but its done...

I centered the bow cleat in the covering board after taking into account for the rub rail overlap (if I would have thought about that for the aft cleats I think I would have OK (First world problems, I know...)

For the bow I had to measure to not hit a frame bit it was easier after taking the plunge on the aft cleats. its harrowing drilling into all that hard work!!!! Just gotta dive in (after measuring like 50 times).

I still have to either make or buy some backing plates.
Attachments
aft cleat side.jpg
aft cleat rear.jpg
bow cleat.jpg
Last edited by Milhouse on Tue Aug 04, 2020 9:18 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Jim
16' Ski Boat Restoration
17' Overnighter Sloop

Milhouse

Post by Milhouse »

Here is the template that I laser cut out that helped me align everything easily.

Cut out with a newish 1" Forstner bit and it cut super clean and smooth no tear out.
Attachments
cleat template.jpg
Jim
16' Ski Boat Restoration
17' Overnighter Sloop

Milhouse

Post by Milhouse »

I drilled the ski tow hole with a 2 1/8" forstner bit today; it was uneventful thankfully.

I was excited to see that the transom wood was in great shape!

I'll add a bit of epoxy to the hole to encapsulate it and then 4200 in the ski tow hook.
Attachments
hole tow.jpg
tow hook.jpg
Jim
16' Ski Boat Restoration
17' Overnighter Sloop

mrintense

Post by mrintense »

Getting closer and closer. Do you think you'll be able to splash this year?
Carl

Clipper Boating

Milhouse

Post by Milhouse »

Carl - I dont want to jinx it but I think so, I think 1 mo or so seems reasonable.

Next big steps are getting all the deck holes drilled so that I can do the final deck epoxy encapsulation, then wait a few weeks and then varnish it and add the rub rail and fittings and lights etc.
Jim
16' Ski Boat Restoration
17' Overnighter Sloop

mrintense

Post by mrintense »

Well the good thing is the weather in your area is almost always perfect so even if it takes a bit longer, you'll have some boating time remaining.
Carl

Clipper Boating

Milhouse

Post by Milhouse »

Carl - That is true!, as Louis Black said: "The easiest job is the world is a weather man in San Diego....whats its gunna be like today?....NICE!"

Any thoughts on Bow light placement? I have not found if there is a USCG requirement for the exact placement. Other than centered and on the Bow...

Option 1, 2, 3 or other?
Attachments
Option 1
Option 1
Option 2
Option 2
Option 3
Option 3
Jim
16' Ski Boat Restoration
17' Overnighter Sloop

Return to “Power Boats”