16' Ski Boat Restoration

Designs for inboard or outboard power

Moderator: BruceDow

Milhouse

Re: 16' Ski Boat Restoration

Post by Milhouse »

I installed the bilge pump thru-hull fitting and plumbed it up today.
Attachments
bilge TH.jpg
hose bilge.jpg
Jim
16' Ski Boat Restoration
17' Overnighter Sloop

I'd rather have a $h!tty meal than an $h!tty resume because a totally awesome resume will feed me steak one day - Steve Poltz

Milhouse

Post by Milhouse »

The OEM cleat backing plates are $25 each so I decided to make them.

I made these for about $40 total. Got the 316 Stainless Steel at McMaster 2" x 24" x 0.1875"

Used a 1" hole saw on the drill press and a lot of cutting fluid at 290RPM to drill the holes. It was not easy drilling but not super hard either.

The bow cleats are close to a frame member so they needed to be cut a little different.
Attachments
backig plates.jpg
Jim
16' Ski Boat Restoration
17' Overnighter Sloop

I'd rather have a $h!tty meal than an $h!tty resume because a totally awesome resume will feed me steak one day - Steve Poltz

JimmY

Post by JimmY »

Looking good, Jim. Good idea to save a few bucks, anything that says "marine" is usually expensive. :shock:
-Jim
Nothing says poor craftsmanship like wrinkles in your duct tape!

mrintense

Post by mrintense »

Looks like the same bilge hose I have. Mine is going to be fun getting it into position. That stuff is very stiff.
Carl

Crafting a classically styled Vera Cruise

Clipper Boating

Milhouse

Post by Milhouse »

I put 4 more coats of epoxy on the deck. 105+207. This time I used a roller (West system 800 an then tipped with a foam brush).

Applied at 3pm, 6pm, 8am, 3pm.

I should have added the masking earlier to protect the hull, I had a few sneeky epoxy runs that I had to address on the hull paint. #ShortcutsAreNotShortcuts

I have a few quarter sized areas that are a little whitish. They may have blushed or I left some sanding dust behind. Not very visible but if you see it you see it for sure. I am not sure if I'll try to sand it all out or live with it. Its probably 4ish coats down? They are much more visible with a light shining on them (like the picture).

I'll fair this this round in a few days after it has a chance to cure a bit. Ill hit it with a long board, 220 Grit probably. I probably need 3 more coats after that to get all the small low spots out. There were a few sags in the white lines that once are filled with clear epoxy are not visible.
Attachments
deck shiny.jpg
I think this is sanding residue I didn't clean off well or fingerprints of the whitened epoxy mix.
I think this is sanding residue I didn't clean off well or fingerprints of the whitened epoxy mix.
I think this is blush
I think this is blush
Jim
16' Ski Boat Restoration
17' Overnighter Sloop

Milhouse

Post by Milhouse »

I sanded the hull again after the previous epoxy session. There were still some small low spots so scuffed them up with scotch bright and drop filled them with epoxy without rolling the entire deck with epoxy. It really helped to fill in the majority of the low spots that were in the white stripes.

I then put 3 more coats of epoxy on 105+207 last weekend with a roller and the tipped with a foam brush. I did 9am, 4pm, 8pm and it was pretty hot out (95 deg). When I put the last coat on was dark out and I worked by headlamp and I didn't do that great of a job, had some thin spots where the epoxy didnt wet out all the way and they required more sanding...

I was trying to sand with the long board but it was taking FOREVER and I went back to the Rotex 150 and I know that was not great for fairing so I picked up a reciprocating straight line sander at Harbor freight. Its the first time I have used sander of this type but it does seem to help fair the deck quite nicely. I was feeling some slight wavy-ness after the Rotex and this really removed them. I am using 180 Grit.

I also picked up the Garnet Fetsool sandpaper for the Rotex 150 and it plugs up a lot less, also got the hard pad and it helps just hit the high spots though im tryin to not use it that much on these final coats.

I think ill finish up the sanding and put 2 or three more coats on by roller and hopefully they will be the last ones.

Its supposed to be 80 F this week so it will be nice to work on the boat. The last two weeks have been 95 - 100 F. Not very motivated to go out in that heat to sand.
Attachments
sanding sanding.jpg
Harbor Freight Sander
Harbor Freight Sander
Jim
16' Ski Boat Restoration
17' Overnighter Sloop

Milhouse

Post by Milhouse »

I sanded some more and got most of the low frequency noise out. A few very subtle dips here and there but I don't think anyone other than I would notice.

I put three more coats of 105+207 epoxy on at {7pm, 6am, 11am} I dropped filled a few suckouts. I got them all now! I am pretty happy with it overall.
Its not perfect but my wife is questioning my sanity. "Your sanding and epoxying AGAIN!?"

I'll have to sand the runs from the drop filling and sand the entire thing to get rid of the high frequency noise and then I will let it sit for 2-3 weeks to let it cure for varnish. I am going to use Interlux 2 part perfection plus.
Attachments
post epoxy.jpg
Jim
16' Ski Boat Restoration
17' Overnighter Sloop

JimmY

Post by JimmY »

That deck looks awesome.
-Jim
Nothing says poor craftsmanship like wrinkles in your duct tape!

mrintense

Post by mrintense »

Sweet! Great work Jim. A lot of effort, but worth it in the end. Looks gorgeous.
Carl

Clipper Boating

vupilot

Post by vupilot »

Looks awesome! Your pics from Aug 9 look just like the little blush spots I had in my Zip deck the first year. I sanded it again after the first season and refinished the deck to get rid of them. You really will be the only one that notices any imperfections. Its funny, building a boat is one skill but painting and varnishing is a whole entire other skill set.

Milhouse

Post by Milhouse »

Thanks Jim, Carl and vupilot; I appreciate the compliments!

I completed the rear seat, sanded it and put on a coat of epoxy. Bubble-pocalypse!!! There must have had A LOT of air in the wood cause I have never seen bubbling this bad. I put on the first coat at 8am (105+207) and when it was dry to the touch it was a mess. It did get considerably warmer so totally my fault for putting it on with rising temps.

I sanded it down at 4pm and put another coat on. Looks good now!
Attachments
Bubbles in my beer but not my Epoxy please
Bubbles in my beer but not my Epoxy please
More Bubbles!
More Bubbles!
After Sanding and another coat, a lot better!
After Sanding and another coat, a lot better!
Jim
16' Ski Boat Restoration
17' Overnighter Sloop

hoodman

Post by hoodman »

That first coat in the morning is risky. Everything looks awesome!
Matt

Building a Geronimo......!
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=25139

Milhouse

Post by Milhouse »

I made a wooden insert to cover the center of the steering wheel.

I turned it on the lathe that I have not used in many years (as you can see from the neglect of that chuck, eak!). Took me awhile I remember how to "steer the bevel"

I put a few coats of epoxy and its just sorta snaps into place. If it loosens up ill probably add a magnet to the back.
Attachments
button on lathe.jpg
wheel button.jpg
Jim
16' Ski Boat Restoration
17' Overnighter Sloop

Milhouse

Post by Milhouse »

I installed the carpet on the fiberglass sides all around including a spot in the bow that is raised up (I'm pretty sure its full of floatation foam). Its really starting to look nice! its was a pain to install that carpet like a yoga pretzel under the dash getting all sticky. Had to wear the respirator and it was still really bad spraying 3M adhesive in a confined space.

I repainted the entire aft floor with a fresh coat of bilgekote and also I painted the to removable bilge floors (one coat of Interlux Interprotect 2000 Epoxy primer and 2 coats Interlux Bilgekote).

Reinstalled the exhaust hoses.

Bought a replacement Optima battery as well. Don't let it sit without a maintainer charger hooked up, else it sulfates and wont hold a charge. Paid $250+ for a battery I never really used. They said it was my fault but agreed to a 20% discount on a replacement. I probably would not have gotten a new optima except the battery mount I made was model specific! Doh.

I have been looking at Seadek flooring, looks really nice. I keep forgetting to call them though...There are some knockoff brands that look reasonable on amazon to looks like the same material (I saw some horror stories too with the fake stuff but it looked like a much lower quality material).
Attachments
20200920_155318.jpg
20201008_182952.jpg
20201008_183001.jpg
Jim
16' Ski Boat Restoration
17' Overnighter Sloop

mrintense

Post by mrintense »

Everything is coming together Jim.

I understand the battery incident. I've been tempted many times to buy things ahead of time. I have quite a few smaller parts that I probably won't use. So far I've managed to avoid spending big money on something I didn't need yet, but not for a lack of trying :)

Laying carpet while not fun, is something I really look forward to because it will mean I am finally getting near the finish line. Boat building is definitely a marathon (rather than a sprint) for me as it is for many others I am sure.
Carl

Clipper Boating

Return to “Power Boats”