16' Ski Boat Restoration

Designs for inboard or outboard power

Moderator: BruceDow

Milhouse

Re: 16' Ski Boat Restoration

Post by Milhouse »

hoodman wrote:
Thu Apr 22, 2021 5:15 am
Not exactly sure what the part you're trying to make is. That locking miter looks like a winner. You could also dovetail that joint.
Good point Matt; I considered them as well I have added them to the list.

This joint will be for the frame (in red) under the top of the engine hatch that supports the plywood deck.

I may may the angled piece a square joint and then just glue on anther piece to fill in the angle? Have not figured out that part yet.
Attachments
frame.jpg
frame.jpg (16.99 KiB) Viewed 1384 times
Jim
16' Ski Boat Restoration
17' Overnighter Sloop

I'd rather have a $h!tty meal than an $h!tty resume because a totally awesome resume will feed me steak one day - Steve Poltz

Milhouse

Post by Milhouse »

The lock miter test piece was very strong. I put it in the vice and beat on it with a hammer and the joint didn't break. Eventually the wood cracked but not at the joint.

I started making the frame for the motor cover and the lock miters cut on the shaper turned out OK, there is a little overhang on one side but it should be just fine since its being covered by the plywood.

I also updated my assembly table top with a new piece of MDF and I cut Festool MFT top style dog holes (with the Parf Guide MK II) in it and got some MFT style clamps from bessy for it (they make the Festool ones, but these were a few bucks cheaper and on Amazon Prime). They are really handy and really grip tight. I was able to hand plane this board with only one clamp and it didn't move at all.
Attachments
MFT top.jpg
Jim
16' Ski Boat Restoration
17' Overnighter Sloop

I'd rather have a $h!tty meal than an $h!tty resume because a totally awesome resume will feed me steak one day - Steve Poltz

Milhouse

Post by Milhouse »

I starting making some headway on the hatch finally. I used the Locked Miter for the corners as none of the other joints were anywhere as strong for this type or orientation (Domino included, foreshadowing)
Attachments
hatch2.jpg
hatch.jpg
Last edited by Milhouse on Sun May 09, 2021 11:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jim
16' Ski Boat Restoration
17' Overnighter Sloop

Milhouse

Post by Milhouse »

I broke down and bought a Domino and its making this joinery quite easy.

I love it so far!

Perfect joinery even with some angles thrown in.

With the wood in this orientation (pic 1) the Domino is glued on both pieces face grain-to-face grain so its quite strong. For the Box corners shown above (where I used the Locked Miter) its face grain to end grain and the end grain still breaks out when subjected to violence (hammer).

Pic 2 the piece is captured so even though it is face grain-to-end grain so its not as strong but there is substantial wood on both sides so its much stronger than a box corner this way.
Attachments
hatch3.jpg
domino.jpg
hatch4.jpg
Jim
16' Ski Boat Restoration
17' Overnighter Sloop

sshamilt@gmail.com

Post by sshamilt@gmail.com »

Looks good to me. And still nice and clean lines.
Steve

Long time woodworker, first time boat builder

Milhouse

Post by Milhouse »

Glued the hatch together and also glued the top on it.

it is strong and will get even more so when I get the rest of the pieces glued to it
Attachments
hatch clamps.jpg
hatch top.jpg
hatch top in boat.jpg
Jim
16' Ski Boat Restoration
17' Overnighter Sloop

Milhouse

Post by Milhouse »

Veneered some more panels for the engine cover. and glued them on.

Started on one of the side by adding hardwood edges.
Attachments
side.jpg
edge.jpg
veneer hatch.jpg
Jim
16' Ski Boat Restoration
17' Overnighter Sloop

Milhouse

Post by Milhouse »

Saw that the transmission was barely touching the hull (just touching the paint) so I pulled the motor & trans and ground down the trans a bit as I was worried it might crack the hull over time. Was not looking forward to re- aligning the coupler but it went pretty smoothly as the sh9ims were already figured out. Was good to better than 0.003"

The coupler was perfectly aligned already so this was the only option.
Attachments
hoist.jpg
ears.jpg
Jim
16' Ski Boat Restoration
17' Overnighter Sloop

Return to “Power Boats”