16' Ski Boat Restoration

Designs for inboard or outboard power

Moderator: BruceDow

hoodman

Re: 16' Ski Boat Restoration

Post by hoodman »

Ken, that's exactly what I was thinking of.
Matt

Building a Geronimo......!
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=25139

Milhouse

Post by Milhouse »

All good ideas, thanks!
Jim
16' Ski Boat Restoration
17' Overnighter Sloop

I'd rather have a $h!tty meal than an $h!tty resume because a totally awesome resume will feed me steak one day - Steve Poltz

Milhouse

Post by Milhouse »

Started planning out this engine hatch/cover. Taking some measurements off the old one and adjusting where it does not quite fit great.

Veneering it makes it a bit more of a chore but should look at lot better when completed. Planning on using the same Block Figured Makore as the dash/cockpit. The top will be planked like the deck. I plan on adding ~1/2" of Sepeli around all the edges so one does not see the plywood raw edge. The top is slightly curved on the top to match the deck curvature.

Considering some mariner's stay inlays in the veneer as well for EXTRA complexity.

Thought about buying a Festool Domino to do the joinery; $$$$ though... Not sure if I will do that or just try to do dowels or something fancier but dovetails seem a bit overboard...With the hardwood edges I may be able just just glue it edge to edge.

The internal hinge is still seeming tricky since I need a relief at the bottom so the hatch does not hit the deck. SO the previous suggestion of tie downs may be required instead of a hinge unless I do an external hinge, if I can find one that has a easily removable pin.
Attachments
Not to scale...
Not to scale...
Jim
16' Ski Boat Restoration
17' Overnighter Sloop

I'd rather have a $h!tty meal than an $h!tty resume because a totally awesome resume will feed me steak one day - Steve Poltz

sshamilt@gmail.com

Post by sshamilt@gmail.com »

your project is looking real good. I am looking forward to flipping so I can start the more detailed work.

You're going to need a couple of more hands to glue that up. I would use biscuits for the joints. It looks like you have an internal frame on it so there is plenty of thickness for the biscuits. Also, if the base is square (90 degrees) then Rockler has a nice cabinet making set of clamps to hold the sides square and tight.
https://www.rockler.com/hand-tools/clamps/corner-clamps
Steve

Long time woodworker, first time boat builder

Roberta

Post by Roberta »

I have a biscuit joiner. Works pretty well. Easier than dowels.

Roberta
Roberta "Queen of the Boat Builders"
Built Zip "Oliver IV", Super Spartan "Jimmy 70", and Torpedo "The Glen L".

Jimbob

Post by Jimbob »

Re: the motor box
You could put a piano hinge at the forward of the edge so that the whole box would hinge forward if there's room. Then you would only need hold down latches at the back of the box.

To assemble the box, I would say either a biscuit jointer or kreg pocket screws. Lately I prefer pocket screws over biscuits because you don't have to use glue that causes the pieces to slide around. Kreg's clamps hold the pieces in perfect alignment while the screws are driven in. You can get stainless pocket screws to use for your application. Check out your hardwood supplier for sepele plywood, might save you some time over veneer strips.
Jim
Jim Neeley
Building a Barrelback in Sacramento, CA
viewtopic.php?f=15&t=28089#p172969

Milhouse

Post by Milhouse »

Roberta and sshamilt and Jim, Ah yes, I forgot I have a biscuit Jointer I got at the Old tool swap meet that I never use! (oh the times when you could see people in person) Great suggestion!

Jim - Good suggestion on the ply but I already have the marine ply and the veneer and vacuum press and it will match the rest of the cockpit so I'm all in on veneering it; although more work (scope creep)! I like the external hinge solution, that may be what I have to do, a full length piano hinge won't work as there is a curve in the floor where the prop shaft enters the transmission. So it can only be a hinge at the ends. I may have to have a rubber "door" so that the cover can clear the bump for the shaft.
Jim
16' Ski Boat Restoration
17' Overnighter Sloop

Jimbob

Post by Jimbob »

An upholstered top might be nice.
Jim
Attachments
20181006_125843.jpg
Jim Neeley
Building a Barrelback in Sacramento, CA
viewtopic.php?f=15&t=28089#p172969

Milhouse

Post by Milhouse »

Yep, I'll actually be upholstering the little step area above the trans as as seat, one can use it as a seat to watch skiers. I Still think i'm going to plank the top though.

I started experimenting with the biscuit jointer to help with the alignment of the hardwood edges. It is more of a hassle to get setup than than I thought it would be. The material is so thin I needed to make a little jig to lift up the material to get the biscuit in the center.

I think the biscuit jointer is pretty dull. I'm sure a new blade will help a ton.

Need a 3D printer to make a little dust collection port for it, it makes a mess..
Attachments
20210417_130136.jpg
Jim
16' Ski Boat Restoration
17' Overnighter Sloop

sshamilt@gmail.com

Post by sshamilt@gmail.com »

How thin is thin? The biscuits will swell when you glue them so monitor the first couple to make sure you don't get a bump
Steve

Long time woodworker, first time boat builder

Milhouse

Post by Milhouse »

These hinges look pretty nice, 316 SS, removable pin, Beefy at 1/4". The hump over the drive shaft is still going to be tricky to get the hatch to clear it. It may need a cutout with a rubber "doggy door" so it can flex and clear it or maybe just go with the clips that carl recommended and forget the hinged idea... Tilting it would be so much nicer if I can get it work though.

The taller I make the hinge tilting axis the more stuff it may hit in the engine compartment when tilting...

Wonder if I'll stub my toe on them though...maybe it will need a little rubber bumper down the road?

Someone with similar hinges that replaced them with the latches in a out of the way place (which I don't have) after stubbing toe.
http://www.clubsearay.com/index.php?thr ... lse.67140/
Attachments
hinge plan.jpg
installed hinge.jpg
hingemcmaster.jpg
Last edited by Milhouse on Sat Apr 17, 2021 3:50 pm, edited 6 times in total.
Jim
16' Ski Boat Restoration
17' Overnighter Sloop

Milhouse

Post by Milhouse »

sshamilt@gmail.com wrote:
Sat Apr 17, 2021 2:41 pm
How thin is thin? The biscuits will swell when you glue them so monitor the first couple to make sure you don't get a bump
The wood is ~3/8" there is ~0.09" of wood on each face of the #10 biscuit, The pic above is a test only so we will see how it looks after its dry.
Jim
16' Ski Boat Restoration
17' Overnighter Sloop

Milhouse

Post by Milhouse »

It looked pretty good (no bulging) but it broke at the glue joint (after some mild whacks with a hammer) and the biscuits pulled out of the plywood side. I think I starved the joint of glue. It didn't look like much glue got on the face of the biscuits (I just squirted some glue in each hole) I don't think enough got on the sides of the hole. I see that I need to spread it around in the hole with a stick or brush before sticking the biscuit in. I was able to just add more glue and re glue it, we will see how this round goes.

Interestingly there was also still a considerable amount of wet glue still in the sides of the biscuit hole about 21 hrs later.
Jim
16' Ski Boat Restoration
17' Overnighter Sloop

Milhouse

Post by Milhouse »

For the joinery under the hatch there are currently butt joints that are just screwed together.

I have been experimenting with some different methods for the butt joints.

Just Glue - would totally fail right away, non-starter

#10 Biscuit - Not strong at all, a few light taps with a hammer (while in a vice) and it just failed at the glue joint. Interesting it failed on the face grain to biscuit interface not the end grain the biscuit interface.

Miter - I hate trying to glue up miters as they slip and slide so this was a non-starter for me.

Splined miter - Pain to setup on my right tilt table saw so I didn't try too hard.

Splined miter #2 - Splined normal to the miter. Pain as one still needs to glue up a regular miter first then reinforce it a non-starter.

Thru Mortice and Tennon - Does not work in this orientation as there is only short grain at the end of the joint.

Locking Miter - I never knew this joint existed and the cutter totally boggles my mind. I bought a shaper off CL years ago that I never really used and strangely enough I actually had one one of these cutter and I never knew what the heck it was. I spent the better part of three days after work experimenting with it. I made a ton of cuts to get it dialed in (this is the trade off with these bits, the setup SUCKS! when one needs to break out the dial indicator, its finicky...) but since its setup in a shaper that I never really use, guess I have a dedicated locked miter tool now. I started to like the shaper after all of this work so I may spruce it up with a better fence etc as well.

I'll glue it up tonight and torture test it in a few days to see if its better than the biscuit.

Good reference on Setting up Locking Miter

Box Joint - I think this is probably the way to if one does not have a Locking Miter Cutter (Great strength and not a huge pain to setup) but have not made the Jig yet

Machine Cut Dovetails - Would be a great solution but I don't have the fancy metal Jig. I did see one on Stumpy Nubs that can be made from wood and cut on the router though that is interesting and may be worth a try once I make a better router table.

Hand Cut Dovetails - Something about hand cutting dovetails that will never be seen made me write them off as an option. I suppose they would not need to be as perfect as a piece of furniture then and may be done in a reasonable amount of time. Still probably could have gotten them done faster than setting up the Locked Miter though :D
Attachments
These didn't work
These didn't work
Lots of Test cuts getting this dialed in
Lots of Test cuts getting this dialed in
Locking Miter finally came together!!!
Locking Miter finally came together!!!
Last edited by Milhouse on Thu Apr 22, 2021 8:03 am, edited 3 times in total.
Jim
16' Ski Boat Restoration
17' Overnighter Sloop

hoodman

Post by hoodman »

Not exactly sure what the part you're trying to make is. That locking miter looks like a winner. You could also dovetail that joint.
Matt

Building a Geronimo......!
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=25139

Return to “Power Boats”