16' Ski Boat Restoration

Designs for inboard or outboard power

Moderator: BruceDow

Milhouse

Re: 16' Ski Boat Restoration

Post by Milhouse » Mon Oct 15, 2018 6:36 pm

Thanks Denon, Neel, Matt and Peter!

Hopefully the resistance of the Shaft Seal + Cutlass Bearing + Water will be enough to hold her in neutral when desired.
Jim
16' Ski Boat Restoration
17' Overnighter Sloop

I'd rather have a $h!tty meal than an $h!tty resume because a totally awesome resume will feed me steak one day - Steve Poltz

Milhouse

Post by Milhouse » Sat Oct 20, 2018 6:15 pm

Did some more dashboard wiring today and made some progress.

Found a reasonable place for the fuse panel and Installed a more compact fuse holder from Blue Sea Systems that has a common +12VDC connection on one side of the fuses so I don't have to jumper all the +12VDC Connections together.

I'm not planning on fusing the wires that go to the senders (i.e. Oil Pressure, Fuel Level, Water Temp, Tach) because I can't find anywhere that says its required or needed.

Got all the marine wiring and marine heatshrinkable terminals from Here; they have been great and have free shipping.

The plan is to get all the wiring on the dash done and then install it to limit the amount of work I have to do upside-down under the dash.

With the Amp meter at the dash I found out that I am supposed to run the alternator up there as well so I'll have to get a longer run of beefier cable (6 or 4 AWG) to support that run. Its a 100A alternator but I should not be drawing anywhere close to that much current under normal operation.

Researched Fusable links and I plan to add one to the alternator incase it shorts out.
Attachments
fuse holder.jpg
dash wiring.jpg
Jim
16' Ski Boat Restoration
17' Overnighter Sloop

I'd rather have a $h!tty meal than an $h!tty resume because a totally awesome resume will feed me steak one day - Steve Poltz

Denon Osterman

Post by Denon Osterman » Sun Oct 21, 2018 7:17 pm

Just out of curiosity, why an ammeter? I've almost never seen them in a boat short of industrial applications.

Great, *great* idea on wiring the dash before you put it in - I'll be doing the same now that I've heard of it as an idea! I'm likely going to run all of my gauges off one fuse, I figure that's a circuit where there's either a major issue or no issue at all. Anyways, great job so far - congrats!

Milhouse

Post by Milhouse » Mon Oct 22, 2018 8:03 am

I installed the amp meter for a little more visibility into what the boat is doing. Sure its not really needed but its nice to know that the charging system is working before it's too late :D

All the guages are powered from one fuse* but the guage lighting is on a seperate switch so the instrument lights and guages can be controlled spetsatly and hence is on a separate fuse as well.

The fuses on that panel are not for the individual guages. So far one each is planned for the horn, radio, ignition, guage lights, bilge pump, navigation lights, courtesy lights, Fuel pump. I may add a remote fuse panel so one of those spots would be swapped for a run to it instead.

*note that the guage power fuse is not installed yet, I will be adding a seperate in-line fuse so it can be sourced from the ignition switch (and not have a seperate fuse panel for one special fuse) the guage power is smaller guage than the starter solenoid and hei distributor that have s fuse in the fuse panel so it needs a unique fuse.
Jim
16' Ski Boat Restoration
17' Overnighter Sloop

Jimbob

Post by Jimbob » Mon Oct 22, 2018 2:02 pm

Hi Jim,
Nice wiring job, looks clean and well organized.

I also wired my dash last weekend. My dash is also removable, so I was able to do all of my wiring on my workbench. I also mounted a "drop down" fuse box separate from the dash for easy access, but not visible. All of my hot lines go into the fuse box, and all the outputs go to a bus on the dash. The horn relay is also mounted on the dash. After spending time under my dash on cars I have owned, I wanted to make sure that there would be minimum amount of time under the dash on this one.

Jim
Jim Neeley
Building a Barrelback in Sacramento, CA
viewtopic.php?f=15&t=28089#p172969

Milhouse

Post by Milhouse » Mon Oct 22, 2018 2:11 pm

Jimbob wrote: I also mounted a "drop down" fuse box separate from the dash for easy access, but not visible
Can you post a pic and link to this fuse box you used. I may need that for the remote fuse box.

When you say "all of my hot lines go into the fuse box, and all the outputs go to a bus on the dash" I'm assuming you mean an isolated terminal block not a common buss.
Jim
16' Ski Boat Restoration
17' Overnighter Sloop

Jimbob

Post by Jimbob » Mon Oct 22, 2018 3:44 pm

You are correct it's an isolated block not a common buss. I also got the metal pieces that can be screwed down so that one input can serve mutiple output sources. For example my light circuit input serves the guage lights, my bow light, and the flag pole light at the stern. Link Below:

https://www.amazon.com/Blue-Sea-Systems ... inal+block

Here is the fuse box, plenty of circuits. It also has a negative block with multiple distributions points. I got the 12 circuit version, with the negative buss, and the cover.

https://www.amazon.com/Blue-Sea-Systems ... gative+bus

I'll upload pics when I have the fuse box mounted in the boat. (next weekend)

Jim
Jim Neeley

Milhouse

Post by Milhouse » Mon Oct 22, 2018 3:56 pm

Jim - That all makes sense to me except what you mean by "Drop down" I'm not following what you mean there; but the pics will probably explain it all when you get it installed :)
Jim
16' Ski Boat Restoration
17' Overnighter Sloop

Jimbob

Post by Jimbob » Mon Nov 05, 2018 10:01 am

Here are pictures of the "drop down fuse box" . There are two tabs protruding from the backside of the dash with inserts that the bolts screw into.
Jim
Fuse Box in Down position.
Fuse Box in Down position.
Fuse Box in Up position.
Fuse Box in Up position.
Dash with fuse fox tucked away. No see.
Dash with fuse fox tucked away. No see.
Jim Neeley

hoodman

Post by hoodman » Mon Nov 05, 2018 5:02 pm

I really like that.
Matt

Building a Geronimo......!
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=25139

rbrandenstein

Post by rbrandenstein » Tue Nov 06, 2018 12:11 pm

Jim,
I had some problems with the quick disconnect connectors from genuinedealz.com
They worked loose and fell off. Most of yours are bolted down, so no problem there.
See this post for more detail.. viewtopic.php?f=39&t=24517

Milhouse

Post by Milhouse » Thu Nov 22, 2018 1:17 pm

Jim - Thanks for the pics of your drop down fuse panel, it looks great! I noticed that you have not heat-shrunk your lugs yet, is that on purpose?

Bob - Turns out the genuine deals connectors are still of the (poor) design you mentioned. I'll see how long they last before changing them out. But at least I know who the likely suspect will be if the instrument lights start failing.

I have been busy with work lately and didn't spend a lot of time on her the past few weeks but I did make a little more progress on the dash when the forum was down.

I also started on making the front seats because I realized that I had no idea how to route the wiring with the seat framework missing.

I took the old seat frame apart to use them as a template, no good pics of the new one yet, stay tuned.

I also started glassing the sailboat project (see link below);I am super excited to make progress on that!
Attachments
wiring.jpg
Old Seat that I am using as a template
Old Seat that I am using as a template
Jim
16' Ski Boat Restoration
17' Overnighter Sloop

hoodman

Post by hoodman » Thu Nov 22, 2018 3:13 pm

I'm not sure why you would use those quick disconnect connectors anyway. I seem to recall having problems with those no matter the design. I mean unless you absolutely have to because a certain component comes with the spade connectors on the back I avoid those terminals if at all possible.
Matt

Building a Geronimo......!
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=25139

Milhouse

Post by Milhouse » Thu Nov 22, 2018 8:43 pm

hoodman wrote:
Thu Nov 22, 2018 3:13 pm
I'm not sure why you would use those quick disconnect connectors anyway. I seem to recall having problems with those no matter the design. I mean unless you absolutely have to because a certain component comes with the spade connectors on the back I avoid those terminals if at all possible.
Exactly - The Faria gauges have screw lugs on all the connections except the instrument light connections which are a male spade so it requires a female spade unfortunately.
Jim
16' Ski Boat Restoration
17' Overnighter Sloop

Milhouse

Post by Milhouse » Mon Dec 24, 2018 10:43 am

I have been working on the trailer. Its been a good learning experience ( learning not to buy a used boat with a used trailer :D ) Its enjoyable, in a hard work that you can look back on and be proud and never want to do again sorta way.

It is all pulled apart. I sandblasted it over a few days with a Harbor freight Pressure Pot from Craigslist, worked great but the aluminum oxide media is $$$

I am spraying it with Safety Red PPG Amerlock (2 part epoxy primer tinted a bit darker than top coat will be) and PPG Amershield Urethane 4:1. The 2mm tip Harbor freight gun works great to spray it. It currently has just the primer on it. Where i was lazy and didn't take all the previous primer down its showing through a tad, the red does not cover that well.

I picked up new 3500lb axles (galvanized), hubs and disk brakes surge actuator and bunk carpet at Pacific trailers. I will need to weld a new tongue on to accept the actuator, the current one is a A frame version, the new one is straight.

Looks like non-pressure treated Doug Fir is recommend for the bunks per this thread The bunks that were on the boat were Doug Fir and looked great (I had to cut them up because I could not get the old rusty fasteners out of them).

I also read that the Pressure treated wood can damage the trailer and the fasteners (Interesting info regarding CCA and ACQ Here)

Interesting read on old growth vs new growth Here

Monel Vs Stainless Steel staples, its a thing...who knew!

Since I decided on the non-Pressure treated route I will be going with Monel Staples

I also read its better to thru bolt (this is how it was done before) rather than to lag bolt. One tip I saw was to use a hex head bolt instead of a carriage bolt to allow one to hold the top of the bolt for removal if necessary. Thinking this farther through I was wondering if the counter sunk hole will catch water and lead to rot. Indeed this thread mentions it and recommends either drilling a drain hole or filling with silicone.

Bolts (half the price of comparable carriage bolt)

Nuts
Attachments
trailer before1.jpg
blaster.jpg
trailer red.jpg
Last edited by Milhouse on Wed Dec 26, 2018 9:46 pm, edited 9 times in total.
Jim
16' Ski Boat Restoration
17' Overnighter Sloop

Return to “Power Boats”