16' Ski Boat Restoration

Designs for inboard or outboard power

Moderator: BruceDow

Milhouse

Re: 16' Ski Boat Restoration

Post by Milhouse » Sun May 19, 2019 5:11 pm

I have been working on the wiring. I finally got around to doing the schematic as well. The Forum would not let me post a .PDF so I uploaded the pictures of it.

I used Designspark Electrical it is free and I know how to use it. If anyone would like the .pdf or the native schematic as a .proj.tewzip archive of the Designspark files please PM me.

Feel free to peer review it and let me know if I missed anything.

I used the USCG regulations and Boatowners Mechanical and electrical handbook as a reference.
Attachments
Schematic Sheet 1.jpg
Schematic Sheet 2.jpg
Schematic Sheet 3.jpg
Last edited by Milhouse on Sun May 19, 2019 5:14 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Jim
16' Ski Boat Restoration
17' Overnighter Sloop

I'd rather have a $h!tty meal than an $h!tty resume because a totally awesome resume will feed me steak one day - Steve Poltz

Milhouse

Post by Milhouse » Sun May 19, 2019 5:11 pm

Additional Schematic sheets and pic of dash wiring.
Attachments
Schematic Sheet 4.jpg
Schematic Sheet 5.jpg
dash.jpg
Jim
16' Ski Boat Restoration
17' Overnighter Sloop

I'd rather have a $h!tty meal than an $h!tty resume because a totally awesome resume will feed me steak one day - Steve Poltz

mrintense

Post by mrintense » Mon May 20, 2019 8:48 am

Thanks for the link to the design software Jim. I've been doing mine in Google drawings(I think that's what its called). But it's more trouble and does not have the links to products or diagrams. I'm still a ways from doing the electrical work yet, but I want to get the diagrams right before starting. It looks like you've got it figured out. Nice work on the dash wiring.
Carl
a.k.a. Clipper

Crafting a classically styled Vera Cruise

Clipper's Vera Cruise Build

Milhouse

Post by Milhouse » Sat May 25, 2019 2:29 pm

Carl - Let me know if you use it i'll be happy to give you my source data to get you started.

I realized I needed more surface area to mount the seat fuse panel and extra switches so I started making a electrical panel this weekend that will fill the gap in the bottom front of the front seat between the driver and passenger (I will post pics later when the panel is further along). It is being made from 1/2" Baltic birch with the top and bottom capped with Sapeli ( looks and hopefully reduce water intrusion in the bottom). Then I'll veneer it. I didn't want to use a 10" wide hard wood panel (wood movement considerations).

On that panel I decided to mount the following switches: Bilge pump, Bilge Blower, Crank Inhibit (used for priming), Spare.

The Contura switches have a cool feature that one can buy a snap together housing for as many switches as desired. This housing then can just snap into a panel. To create the panel that would allow the switch housing into I did the following:

1. Modeled the desired shape in CAD (4 Switches has a cutout 4.13" x 1.94")
2. Laser cut a template
3. Routed to the template with 1/4" Flush Trim Bit
4. Used a 1/8" Rabbeting bit to create the lip for the switches to grab onto
5. 1/4" Round over outside front edges
6. The switch assembly just snaps right it. No chiseling the corners was necessary. The switch assembly is removable if you press on the tabs with a screwdriver from behind.

This switch assy will be installed on the outside of the electrical panel (stay tuned).
Attachments
Panel.jpg
switch.jpg
The fingers depress when they pass through the small rectangle and grab the rabbit holding the switch secure.
rabbet.jpg
Last edited by Milhouse on Sat May 25, 2019 2:35 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Jim
16' Ski Boat Restoration
17' Overnighter Sloop

Milhouse

Post by Milhouse » Sat May 25, 2019 2:31 pm

Switches Installed into panel
Attachments
switch installed.jpg
switch rear.jpg
Jim
16' Ski Boat Restoration
17' Overnighter Sloop

mrintense

Post by mrintense » Sat May 25, 2019 2:59 pm

Real fine work on the switch box Jim. It sets off those Contura switches really nice.
Carl
a.k.a. Clipper

Crafting a classically styled Vera Cruise

Clipper's Vera Cruise Build

TomB

Post by TomB » Sat May 25, 2019 3:36 pm

Nice job Jim. Will the switches be labelled? Tom

Milhouse

Post by Milhouse » Sat May 25, 2019 4:04 pm

Thanks Carl and Tom!
TomB wrote:
Sat May 25, 2019 3:36 pm
Will the switches be labelled
I will probably label them on the top of the switch with a label printer. The face of the switches will not really be visible because they will be next to the drivers shin (see pic). The wood part will be blocked by the seat frame. I'm not sure how far the seat cushion will extend yet either...

Seemed like a reasonable place to make it convenient for the driver and also keep the wiring reasonable.

The the actuator side of the battery switch and the Contura switches will be facing forward and accessible when the seat is closed.
Attachments
labeled.jpg
Viewable from Top
electrical panel.jpg
Jim
16' Ski Boat Restoration
17' Overnighter Sloop

Milhouse

Post by Milhouse » Sun May 26, 2019 1:42 pm

I love getting a little veneered present in the morning out of the vacuum bag!
Attachments
vac.jpg
veneered.jpg
Jim
16' Ski Boat Restoration
17' Overnighter Sloop

Denon Osterman

Post by Denon Osterman » Mon May 27, 2019 7:17 pm

Hey Jim,

If you're feeling particularly adventurous you could use that laser cutter to etch the words / symbols into the wood panelling itself. I did that on a guitar amp I built and thought it turned out really nice - and a great compliment to the work so far! Looks fantastic, and nice to see some proper circuit and schematic modelling before getting out the snippers and strippers :)

I *love* having your instrument lights on a separate switch from the nav lights...I can't *stand* the glare from them when I'm driving at night. The only suggestion I have when reviewing the schematic is to consider putting your radio on a switched supply (potentially ignition), as most radios these days have parasitic current draw that will drain your battery over a week or so. Go ahead, ask me how I know...

Looks great!

Denon Osterman

Post by Denon Osterman » Mon May 27, 2019 7:46 pm

...not sure why this was not included in the previous post but here goes.

Speaking of looking good, that paint job turned out amazing from my perspective. I hope I can get my top coat to look that good when it's done! How did you find the fumes / off gasing with the active vapour filters and the suit? I've seen all sorts of opionions ranging from "It's totally fine" to "a few molecules can give you asthma for life"...and as someone who already has asthma from allergies, I *really* don't want to end up with it full time. I'd been looking at perfection plus (which it sounds like didn't go well for you, but others seem to love, and I'd be doing the clearcoat over my wooden deck) and some of the two part automotives like PPG, and preferably spraying and without sanding between coats as I'd like to do my interior with the same finish and have it last. Any thoughts would be much appreciated on how you thought it all went.

I'm also very impressed with how detailed your "to do" list is compared to mine ("Epoxy deck, clear coat deck and interior, install the accessories, install the engine, drink beer"). I had been thinking about getting a boat cover before the accessory and engine install, as I have to "launch" the boat before I can install the engine or I'll never be able to actually to lift it down to the water...and I don't want it sitting unprotected from that point forward. I'm in a pretty unique situation however in terms of where I'm building it and where it will live.

Love seeing the updates, and good luck getting everything done - I'll have a Lagunitas for you (even though they're a Heineken brand now!) when it's done!

Milhouse

Post by Milhouse » Fri May 31, 2019 1:58 pm

Hi Denon - Thank you for the compliments. Its a good from far, far from good paint job. Mainly because of the overspray spots where I thought I was being helpful and adding a little extra spritz I made matters worse and the paint didn't flow out in a few spots. Now I know for next time and I'm sure the next paint job will be even better. I may cut/buff it later to even it out...

The Automotive spraying was a great experience compared to the roll and tipping which sucked IMO. With the respirator I didn't have any issues.

Thank you for looking over the schematic. I can't say that I really waited for the schematic before I got started :D but I'm glad that I finally got around to doing it as it is helping me finish and get it right. Regarding the Radio: I have a battery cutoff switch and the radio has a power button so I think I'm good ( I hope).

I was thinking of making little laser engraved badges for the switch labels for the dash. Its too late to actually engrave the dash as this stage (I wouldn't want to screw it up).

Regarding my to do list..."Plans are worthless, but planning is essential." :D I don't really refer to it much buts its good to have.

Thanks for following along and offering your support! I am eager to see yours in the water as well, I'm not sure I understand how you will put the motor in after the boat is launched though.
Jim
16' Ski Boat Restoration
17' Overnighter Sloop

Denon Osterman

Post by Denon Osterman » Tue Jun 18, 2019 8:41 pm

Hey Jim,

Sorry it took me about a month to respond. Been hell at work for me unfortunately.

I think you're being a bit hard on the paint job - it looks awesome in the pictures and in my experience things usually look a lot worse in photos! I'm glad to hear spraying was better than rolling / tipping...I've decided to bite the bullet and get a full respirator kit myself and spray. The supplied air, full suit, gun and compressor (likely renting the gun / compressor) will be less than the paint itself!

Good to hear on the battery cutoff switch - I'm almost always cognizant of turning the radio off, but in my metal boat it's hidden in the glove box...an then that one time you forget, and a week goes by... you really wish it was turned off with the rest of the boat!

You inspired me on my to do list, and once I'd finished it I got real scared. I'll have another post coming out soon once I get back to everyone else but boy, is there a lot to do - and with a soft launch planned for July 13th I'm not overly keen on the long, long days of work ahead! At least it's fun work :)

In terms of dropping in the engine after its a bit of an interesting predicament. The boat currently resides in a shed, on a (very small) island, about 200 meters from shore through a forest. There is no way in hell it's making it to the water with the engine in...so I bring the boat to the water, then to a trailer, then to somewhere I can actually drop an engine in, then back to the water on said trailer, etc. Convoluted to be sure but it's my only option - I'll leave more details in my update.

How's your build been progressing since?

-Denon

Milhouse

Post by Milhouse » Sun Jun 30, 2019 7:29 pm

Thanks for the kind words Dennon!

The electrical panel is almost done, it has 4 coats of epoxy. I think i'll add some perfection plus varnish to give it some shine. I can't seem to epoxy both sides without drips that need to be sanded out. It probably does not need UV protection where it is at but it can't hurt and it will give me some experience with using it before I use it on the rest of the boat. I didn't have a good experience with Epifanes varnish so I thought I would try the two part stuff. Hopefully its better than my roll and tip job with perfection paint...

Other than the electrical panel I have not worked much on the boat over the past month. I have been catching up on paying some "Landscaping Debt" with sweat. I had 15 dead Eucalyptus cut down, some that were a little too close to the boat. I spent the last months weekends cleaning up after that effort. Stump grinding and splitting wood (I think I have a lifetime supply to heat my house now...) and digging holes to plant some giant timber bamboo to serve as a privacy screen. I am not sure why I pick the hot months to work on the yard...

I made a tow ball receiver for my lawnmower so I could tow the boat trailer around the yard and its proving to be very handy for other stuff with a hitch as well.
Attachments
panel 1.jpg
Sanded to remove drips around edges
panel 2.jpg
105/207 epoxy
wood.jpg
This is one pile of many...
Jim
16' Ski Boat Restoration
17' Overnighter Sloop

Milhouse

Post by Milhouse » Sun Jun 30, 2019 7:34 pm

Here is the receiver I made. It fits my regular tow hitch.

Tig welding is FUN!

This is with a cheepo Harbor Freight welder I got for $35 (open box return that they just wanted to get rid of).

Then I just needed to buy a $300 tank of argon....But it was worth it, so cool to work with metal.

I actually got a sun tan from the arc when I didn't full cover my arms...Safety first
Attachments
tig1.jpg
receiver.jpg
Jim
16' Ski Boat Restoration
17' Overnighter Sloop

Return to “Power Boats”