Malahini Chine bending

Designs for inboard or outboard power

Moderator: BruceDow

hoodman

Re: Malahini Chine bending

Post by hoodman » Fri Aug 24, 2018 5:09 am

That looks awesome. The bottom looks super fair.
Matt

Building a Geronimo......!
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=25139

eckie63

Post by eckie63 » Fri Aug 24, 2018 6:26 am

I agree, your fairing/sanding job looks perfect. That white line adds a nice touch to the sides too, and I like that little point you made in the center of the transom. She will look awesome in the water!
My previous project: Popular Mechanics PM38 from 1962 (Not a Glen-L design though)
A neat method for steam bending in place.
Using Tractor paint for your boat. Great for trailered boats.

PeterG

Post by PeterG » Fri Aug 24, 2018 7:58 am

Looks great! Nice fair hull and smooth finish, the boot stripe nicely sets off the topsides and bottom paint.
Murphy's Law: Anything that can go wrong, will go wrong.
Griffin's Law: Murphy was an optimist.

footer

Post by footer » Fri Aug 24, 2018 10:38 am

Thanks for the kind words. means a lot. I have a couple of touch ups to take care of and then we'll see how the clear coat looks.

I do have a question. I am looking at getting a new 60 hp Mercury to go on it. The question is, how do you determine how long the cables (steering and electrical) are? Is there a standard length for a Malahini or do you just measure from where the steering wheel is, around the hull, and to the center of the engine?

hoodman

Post by hoodman » Fri Aug 24, 2018 4:44 pm

Here is a video on measuring for the steering cable. It will be difficult to measure for a cable until after the flip. All the electrical for the engine will come with the rigging from the dealer so you don't really have to worry about that. You'll need to run your own wiring for lights, horn etc. though.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BsHvms0XLic
Matt

footer

Post by footer » Tue Aug 28, 2018 3:35 am

I should have done more research. i went with my paint suppliers recommendation, which was PPG Pitthane Ultra. Apparently it's an industrial coating and not really meant for boats.
Even with my garage doors and windows open and fans blowing, I still smelled paint three days later. It went on thick and bubbled thick as 60 grit, that didn't go away. I had to go back and wet sand it smooth again. Really disappointed. It looks good in the picture, but not up close. I went back with spar-Urethane and it looks much better. I was originally looking for a product that held up continuously immersed in water, but I bought a lift now, so it won't be.
Attachments
IMG_4433[1].JPG
Malahini; clear coat 8/18

footer

Post by footer » Tue Oct 16, 2018 4:00 am

I finished the third coat of finish,but because of the extremely humid weather we've had, it's drying slow. I want to flip it onto it's trailer when it's cured, but the old trailer I have is a bit too short for it, so i have to modify it or find another one first.
Anyone have suggestions on bunk configuration? I thought 2-10' inner 2x4's and 2-8' outer 2x4's to support the bottom.
Attachments
IMG_4848[1].JPG
Malahini: 10-16-18 Third finish coat
IMG_4847[1].JPG
Malahini; 10-16-18 Third finish coat
IMG_4846[1].JPG
Malahini; 10-16-18 third finish coat

Hercdrvr

Post by Hercdrvr » Tue Oct 16, 2018 5:12 am

I support my Malahini with a pair of 2x6’s sandwiched together on each side. Welded up my own brackets. I made an attempt to contour the top of the bunks to match the hull as the dead rise increases forward. Wrapped them in bunk carpet and all seems fine. I’ve logged about 5000 miles, no problems.
If the boat is recovered out of the water a little cockeyed on the trailer it’s light enough to shove back to center before I strap her down.
Matt B
Attachments
957DA5CF-CFAB-4A74-A583-2F828BD456C8.png

Biss

Post by Biss » Tue Oct 16, 2018 6:37 am

Looks like you have a really nice finish on your boat! I know you must be excited about flipping it over and starting the next phase. Best of luck working out your trailer configuration.

Biss

hoodman

Post by hoodman » Tue Oct 16, 2018 7:26 pm

I put the trailer bunks underneath the bottom battens.
Matt

footer

Post by footer » Thu Oct 18, 2018 4:28 am

Thanks Biss. I made a ton of mistakes with my fiberglass and a gloss finish accentuates every one of them. I rolled my paint and finish on with a short nap roller so it's not as smooth as I would have hoped for, but I couldn't shoot it. I really hope I remember all the mistakes I learned from if I ever build another one. lol
I'm excited to be able to flip it, but I have to be patient until I get this or another trailer ready for it.
Thanks Matt and Matt B for the trailer bunk info. I appreciate your experienced advice.

footer

Post by footer » Mon Oct 29, 2018 3:24 am

So, I finally got my garage cleaned out to get ready for our Halloween party (my wife loves decorating for Halloween), so i was able to take a full view picture of my boat. It's finished and ready for the flip. Now I have to get my trailer finished so I can flip it on to it.

footer

Post by footer » Tue Oct 30, 2018 3:07 am

My Malahini finished and ready for the flip. http://www.glenhttp://www.glen-l.com/ph ... 022b4be740
Attachments
IMG_4961[2].JPG
Halloween decorations. Can't really see it, but the boat is in the background.
IMG_4949[1].JPG
Malahini; Ready to flip. 10/30/18

Bill Edmundson

Post by Bill Edmundson » Tue Oct 30, 2018 7:36 am

Footer

Looks great! I know you're ready to see it on a trailer!

Bill
Mini -Tug, KH Tahoe 19 & Bartender 24 - There can be no miracle recoveries without first screwing up.
Tahoe 19 Build

footer

Post by footer » Mon Nov 19, 2018 5:26 am

So, I had this old trailer. It was a little small, so I added 3' on the end of it and moved the axle back a foot. I cut off the original bunks and rollers meant for a V-bottom boat and fabricated new brackets for the new bunks and welded them all on. The center ones are bolted in place and the outside ones will be adjusted after the boat is set on it.
I still have to cover the bunks with carpet and throw some paint on it all and and a couple other minor details, then I'm ready to flip the boat on it.
Attachments
IMG_5044[1].JPG
Malahini; Trailer almost ready for setting the boat on.

Return to “Power Boats”