Restoring Glory Days a 23' Belle Isle

Designs for inboard or outboard power

Moderator: BruceDow

Brad Tucker

Re: Restoring Glory Days a 23' Belle Isle

Post by Brad Tucker » Fri Mar 30, 2018 2:03 pm

Thanks for creating this thread. I also used dye, hoping the varnish layer would protect it. She stays inside except when on the lake. Having finished her last September, there have only been 2 trips to the lake so I imagine I will eventually have the same thing happen if I don't freshen up the top coat periodically. This post is a huge help!

Soloboat

Post by Soloboat » Fri Mar 30, 2018 5:10 pm

Great thread kinda know what to expect even if one has go extrapolate never the less without hijacking I wish I could turn my boat inside out ,the outside has suffered from California sunshine for five years.Now it is rfinish time,but by the same token I have used the hell out of her.Once again good thread
) Champagne dreams and wishes are possible on a beer budget. Just build the boat.
Nice curves are easy on the eyes.
Go sell crazy somewhere else we're all stocked up here."As Good As It Gets" Jack Nicholson.

billy c

Post by billy c » Fri Mar 30, 2018 6:13 pm

Denzil so pleased you put lots of water under your boatl. Nothing like reliving the memories as you caress the hull once again with your sander. :D Hoping you guys can add from your experiences to this thread - feel free to hijack all you want!
Bill You have lots of time on your Tahoe. How is your finish holding up for you?
Carl Writing is good therapy after a day of sanding. Glad you are enjoying my ramblings
Brad Mine had UV most of the day everyday. Had I covered the boat it would be a lifetime finish. Since the dyes do not seem to be as UV resistant as they claim, your varnish refresh at regular intervals is not a bad idea. I've been playing around with oil and waterbased stains and dyes, I may end up with the Metal Complex Dyes
(insert Witty phrase here)
Billy's Belle Isle website

Bill Edmundson

Post by Bill Edmundson » Fri Mar 30, 2018 8:34 pm

Billy

I don't get as much time on the Tahoe as I would like. Now with 2 boats it's even less. The Tahoe is kept under the condo with a cover. So, it is not a fair comparison. It has 2 part PU.

The Bartender stays outside. I used a 1 part high-build varnish on it. Mixed results. After 2 years, it needs some work. Some of it is good. Most have had some contamination.

Bill
Mini -Tug, KH Tahoe 19 & Bartender 24 - There can be no miracle recoveries without first screwing up.
Tahoe 19 Build

billy c

Post by billy c » Mon Apr 02, 2018 6:47 pm

Bill-Thanks for the update on your boats. I knew you put on a 2 part PU on the Tahoe. Being under a cover when not in use is really the way to extend the finish on any of our builds. I was considering traditional varnish over the epoxy. Now that you mention the need for rework in places on your Bartender, I guess the only real finish for a boat that is out in the elements is the PU.
...the sanding marathon continues, along with welding my pontoon boat back together. The engine mount was falling off and the pontoons cracked and were filling with water. (Thanks to Kevin and our aluminum boat building gurus, I can do some welding without sending it out.) Pretty cold water out there now so no time to break down or take a swim. Ice Out is estimated about the 15th. :D but I digress.
Off to order some supplies.
Billy

Soloboat

Post by Soloboat » Wed Apr 11, 2018 3:38 pm

I want to keep this thread alive just so some of the not yet launched builders have an idea of what they might be in for. At the build stage if you get it good now, down the line maintenance is a breeze, however if you think you will get to it later think again. I did not sand some areas in the cockpit which was painted, paint peeled epoxy layer was pristine so now I have to peel sand and sand. the doug fir wood rails looked great after 2 coats of epoxy so I didn't bother to apply a UV inhibitor such as varnish,the only good thing about that is the sun just flaked off that epoxy, the bad is the wood darkened checked cracked from being exposed so more effort needed to restore. Damn I was really anxious to go fishing. I did not label some stuff on the fuse panel now I have to track what they are luckily so far no electrical issues. overall, never having owned a boat did not know what the upkeep entailed however having built this vessel I know how to take care of her. Do it right now it will save a lot of headaches later and if you take many pics senior moments may be reset by just looking at pics. Not a rant just an observation. I know some of you guys have been there other guys will get there eventually
Cheers Denzil :wink:
) Champagne dreams and wishes are possible on a beer budget. Just build the boat.
Nice curves are easy on the eyes.
Go sell crazy somewhere else we're all stocked up here."As Good As It Gets" Jack Nicholson.

Bill Edmundson

Post by Bill Edmundson » Wed Apr 11, 2018 4:04 pm

Denzil :wink:

I'll try to add to this later.

Bill
Mini -Tug, KH Tahoe 19 & Bartender 24 - There can be no miracle recoveries without first screwing up.
Tahoe 19 Build

billy c

Post by billy c » Wed Apr 11, 2018 5:28 pm

Denzil
Thanks for adding your wisdom to the restoration process. Those words sure ring true. :D
Will bring my restoration back round shortly. Been busy getting a new motor on the pontoon barge and working on a power steering system problem on my fiberglass wonder. Can tell ice out is near as everyone is hanging out at the marinas with nowhere to go :lol:
Billy

mrintense

Post by mrintense » Thu Apr 12, 2018 7:37 am

Denzil, this same thinking is why I am writing my maintenance manual as I go. I know that if I don't, it will never get written. :D :D
Carl
a.k.a. Clipper

Crafting a classically styled Vera Cruise

Clipper's Vera Cruise Build

billy c

Post by billy c » Wed Apr 18, 2018 6:06 pm

Had Fedex, UPS and USPS come up my snow covered driveway today delivering goodies. Exciting unpacking the finishing supplies and playing with all the packing materials. My cats and I are exhausted. Will take a few pictures and update the boat progress pictures tomorrow if the snow and rain stop.
Billy

billy c

Post by billy c » Thu Apr 19, 2018 6:39 am

...yuck not a day to pull the boat outside. The sun will come out tomorrow.
IMG_2135 (1).jpg

Bill Edmundson

Post by Bill Edmundson » Thu Apr 19, 2018 6:49 am

Billy

Are you planning to use a cat tail brush :?: :lol: :roll:

Bill
Tahoe 19 Build

billy c

Post by billy c » Fri Apr 20, 2018 6:16 am

Bill Edmundson wrote:Billy
Are you planning to use a cat tail brush :?: :lol: :roll:
Bill
Yup stocking up on them

Great day to work on the boat today Yippee :D

Bill Edmundson

Post by Bill Edmundson » Fri Apr 20, 2018 6:30 am

We're picking up a new big brush tomorrow. The ear tufts can be used for detail work.

Bill
Tahoe 19 Build

billy c

Post by billy c » Sat Apr 21, 2018 5:00 am

Bill Edmundson wrote:We're picking up a new big brush tomorrow. The ear tufts can be used for detail work.
Bill
:lol:

Return to “Power Boats”