Bob's Geronimo's windshield done

Designs for inboard or outboard power

Moderator: BruceDow

bobinpowayca

Bob's Geronimo's windshield done

Post by bobinpowayca »

Well, I finally got the windshield done, it's 1/4" tempered glass with a bevel on the ends. I couldn't get the ends into the side brackets using the rubber gasket material; also, they were slightly out of alignment in the grooves (glass doesn't flex!), so I ended up just bedding the outer edges in black latex window caulking. It came out pretty nice, I had to make a wedge for under the center post, it was pretty far off but with the shim painted it looks okay. It will be removable it it breaks. I hope not the glass was $328 :(
I wanted to use the '63 Buick Wildcat steering wheel I've been saving for my boat but it was just too large in diameter, but I was able to modify my 1950's suicide knob to put it on the wheel. Same color as the trim on the Evinrude, I guess I'm color-coordinated!
I'm using pedestal seats. Originally I was going to build bench seats and have them upholstered ala '56 Chevy pattern but time is catching up and I'm anxious to use my boat. And at our age those bucket seats sure feel good! Same for the windshield - I really like the old wooden framed windshield as in the Glen-L design, but the carpentry's a little out of my bandwidth and would take me a lot of time to learn. I think my boat's about done except for the back seats and touching up the paint where I've done work. Maybe a couple of weeks :D
I'll be asking some questions on how to launch the boat etc, never had a motorboat! Gotta be easier than my Glen-L 17 was. Bob
Attachments
IMG_1315.JPG
IMG_1323.JPG
IMG_1310.JPG
Bob

mrintense

Re: Bob's Geronimo's windshield done

Post by mrintense »

Nice work Bob, really nice work. It will be good to see another of these hulls in the water. Wish I could say mine was nearing completion.
Carl

Crafting a classically styled Vera Cruise

Clipper Boating

hoodman

Post by hoodman »

Looks great, Bob, time for launch?!
Matt

Building a Geronimo......!
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=25139

PeterG

Post by PeterG »

Awesome, really nice job!
Murphy's Law: Anything that can go wrong, will go wrong.
Griffin's Law: Murphy was an optimist.

Hercdrvr

Post by Hercdrvr »

Bob,
Your windshield glass came out well. I had the exact same mounting issues with those brackets. Nice work using a simple wedge to correct the angle.
Matt B

DrBryanJ

Post by DrBryanJ »

Beautiful Bob! Can't wait to see the launch.
Bryan

Building a malahini "Mona Lisa"

My wife said "If I build a boat, she's getting a divorce."
We're still happily married, but now she just wants "the dam boat out of the garage."

billy c

Post by billy c »

Nicely done Bob! Glad you got your windscreen sorted out too. Good call on just getting the boat done so you can use it this season. Getting her launched so you can get some time will let you find some improvements and changes you can make off season. See you soon in the Launching Ramp section of the forum
Billy
(insert Witty phrase here)
Billy's Belle Isle website

Milhouse

Post by Milhouse »

Looks great Bob!

I'd love come by when you launch it and lend a hand! Let me know when you are headed out.

Ski Beach, De Anza, or South Shores look like good spots, they have nice wide ramps. South shores looks like it has the best dock that is close to the ramp so I think that is where I will launch from when the ski boat is ready.
Attachments
South Shores ramp
South Shores ramp
Mission Bay Launches
Mission Bay Launches
Jim
16' Ski Boat Restoration
17' Overnighter Sloop

I'd rather have a $h!tty meal than an $h!tty resume because a totally awesome resume will feed me steak one day - Steve Poltz

bobinpowayca

Post by bobinpowayca »

Hi Jim, thanks for the great tip on South Shores launch ramp, I checked it out a couple days ago and really like it, real wide ramp, lots of places to tie up. We're fortunate to have this. So the plan is to go there this Saturday, bringing my wife and my daughter and her family. She can handle boats so I'm going out with her first around the bay and then picking up my wife and grandkids. If the weather is okay and not big waves I'd especially like to head out the channel and let her taste the ocean. That's I why built the Geronimo, it's a stout boat with a high freeboard. It'll be low tide (-0.1), hopefully no rocks in the channel, but I've got these eyes on her that are supposed to watch out for stuff like that.
We'll probably be there around 0930 or ten, it'd be good to meet you. Bob
Attachments
they look weird in my rearview mirror at first
they look weird in my rearview mirror at first
Bob

Milhouse

Post by Milhouse »

Great, See you there!
Jim
16' Ski Boat Restoration
17' Overnighter Sloop

I'd rather have a $h!tty meal than an $h!tty resume because a totally awesome resume will feed me steak one day - Steve Poltz

Return to “Power Boats”