What do call this type of sheer?

Designs for inboard or outboard power

Moderator: BruceDow

Hercdrvr

What do call this type of sheer?

Post by Hercdrvr »

105 degrees in Texas so I’m stuck inside thinking about my next build. What is the term for a sheer that isn’t a smooth continuos line from bow to transom, but transitions from low freeboard to much higher at the bow? It makes for more headroom up front without having to raise the deck.
Matt B
http://www.workboatbrokers.com/product/2674/170531-vs

weller

Re: What do call this type of sheer?

Post by weller »

Broken sheer
"My mind is on a permanent vacation, the ocean is my only medication"

kens

Post by kens »

Some will say 'Carolina Flair'
Oak is over rated, everything about it takes extra time; then it warps, splits or checks !!! :roll:

NAMEngJS

Post by NAMEngJS »

It would still be called a sheer. Sheer is just the line that separates the hull side from the main deck. This sheer in particular has an inflection point where the sheer goes from a convex to concave (or Vice Versa). This does not mean that the sheer is not fair.

FWIW:
Capture.JPG
Take the image of an ATB Tug hull I was modeling earlier this year. The upper chine line highlighted (In Yellow) has the line curvature shown (White fiber looking lines). Note that around 3/4 of the way aft the white fibers go from the bottom of the line to the top of the line. The inflection is intentional in this case to create adequate flow and proper clearance for the propellers.

Also note the size of the white fibers... at some point they are longer than others. This highlights the rate of change of the curvature of the line (longer lines means the curvature is changing faster). Leading into the inflection and out of the inflection the curvature is changing at similar rates. Even though this is a chine line I highlighted the same principal would apply with the sheer as well.
-Juan Suarez

All men dream, but not equally. Those who dream by night in the recesses of their minds, wake to find that it was vanity: but the dreamers by day are dangerous men, for they may act on their dreams with open eyes, to make them possible.

weller

Post by weller »

Here is a quote from Jarrett Bay boat works out of North Carolina " A broken sheer is a term used for boats when the sheer (rail) has a slight curvature on the aft end as compared to a solid straight line leading from the bow. It is where the sheer meets the intermediate bumper. Instead of a long sweeping sheer line from bow to stern, it turns down somewhat abruptly as it nears the cockpit " Carolina boats definitely have this style sheer but It was Rybovich who had the broken sheer and inset cabin back in the early 50's. Warren Oneil seen a Rybovich and in 1956 copied the sheer and cabin but added tumblehome and the flair.

kens

Post by kens »

Here is some pics of the old school classic Rybovich sheer line.
This is circa 1967,,,
it is a cold molded wood design,,,
Classic!!!
This is the sheer line that everybody else copied

https://www.yachtworld.com/boats/1967/R ... 1kZS9hKhz8
Oak is over rated, everything about it takes extra time; then it warps, splits or checks !!! :roll:

Bill Edmundson

Post by Bill Edmundson »

Reminds me of 7 Stranded Castaways.

Bill
Mini -Tug, KH Tahoe 19 & Bartender 24 - There can be no miracle recoveries without first screwing up.
Tahoe 19 Build

hoodman

Post by hoodman »

Maybe they were built that way originally to keep the big freeboard in the bow but make it easier to work out of the back.
Matt

Building a Geronimo......!
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=25139

NAMEngJS

Post by NAMEngJS »

5387157_20180423090011907_1_LARGE.jpg
FWIW, In the image above note the sheer line down turns and abruptly ends and creates a discontinuity (sharp point) at the bumper as described by Jarrett Bay Boat Works. I would consider this a broken sheer as the line has the discontinuity. In the link given by the OP the sheer does not have this same feature and the sheer line is a continuous line from fore to aft. It has the same effect to raise the foredeck in comparison to main deck creating more buoyancy forward and more head room in the cabin.

Though in the end I guess it is all just semantics. In the end it is still the sheer :D
-Juan Suarez

All men dream, but not equally. Those who dream by night in the recesses of their minds, wake to find that it was vanity: but the dreamers by day are dangerous men, for they may act on their dreams with open eyes, to make them possible.

Soloboat

Post by Soloboat »

I think it is called a Hogged Sheer.I think there is some reference to style and types of sheer in Boat building with Plywood
) Champagne dreams and wishes are possible on a beer budget. Just build the boat.
Nice curves are easy on the eyes.
Go sell crazy somewhere else we're all stocked up here."As Good As It Gets" Jack Nicholson.

sproggy

Post by sproggy »

Soloboat wrote:I think it is called a Hogged Sheer.
A hogged sheer is when the forward and aft ends of the sheerline are lower than the centre (or some point between them). Like this (except usually on purpose......):

Soloboat

Post by Soloboat »

So now we know what it isn't maybe in sailing terms it is a bold sheer.
) Champagne dreams and wishes are possible on a beer budget. Just build the boat.
Go sell crazy somewhere else we're all stocked up here."As Good As It Gets" Jack Nicholson.

Soloboat

Post by Soloboat »

Or maybe A Fair sheer

weller

Post by weller »

Here's a pic of a Jarret Bay around the same size as the one in the link. Just saying they call it a broken sheer. I would like to see you bend a piece of wood like that without breaking it :lol:
Attachments
boat.jpg

Hercdrvr

Post by Hercdrvr »

This is a Kitty Hawk 26 cold mold design, wow, what a shape.

http://www.smithmarinedesign.com/images ... index.html

Return to “Power Boats”