Malahini from MD

Designs for inboard or outboard power

Moderator: BruceDow

Sarnian

Re: Malahini from MD

Post by Sarnian » Fri Jul 26, 2019 3:21 pm

Thanks Footer - still not sure about these - but might play around with them over the next week or so. Your boat is looking fantastic. You and Biss (and all those before you) have been great to follow - both a few months ahead of me.

Have been working on the coamings (or at least the L shaped trim covering the transition between the carling and deck. Its the most annoying bit I've had to work on so far....bleurgh. Tried some steaming, didn't really like the results, so ended up using a router and making the corners first. We'll see if this works or not. Will post a picture at some point - either of these pieces attached or of them in the trash. :shock:

JimmY

Post by JimmY » Fri Jul 26, 2019 4:34 pm

Hi,

FWIW, I haven't seen these done on another build, but have seen them on Rivas and Chris Crafts and they look pretty cool.

My $0.02
-Jim
Nothing says poor craftsmanship like wrinkles in your duct tape!

footer

Post by footer » Sun Jul 28, 2019 7:29 am

The thing to remember about steaming (from what I've read and experienced) is once wood has been kiln dried (which most wood is), steaming has very little effect on the wood. You really need have green wood, (just dried in the open air), That bends like rubber when steamed.
Don't get me wrong, the steam does help and it will help hold a bend, but your only going to get maybe a 6' radius before it starts fracturing.
Wood grains can compress a lot, but can only stretch a little.
They say to steam 1 hour for every 1" of wood. I usually go twice that.

Sarnian

Post by Sarnian » Mon Jul 29, 2019 7:25 am

worked on the coaming (not sure if this is strictly coaming...) - getting there, although still a ways to go.

also did a little more on the raised rail around the bow, which I'm still not sold on, but will try extending down to around the windshield...it's just laying on there at the moment, not attached.
Attachments
IMG_4720.jpg
IMG_4725.jpg
IMG_4724.jpg

Sarnian

Post by Sarnian » Mon Jul 29, 2019 7:29 am

and...something a little different.....a book. A friend bought this for me. It's about an older dad who builds a boat for his young daughter. It's a quick read that I quite enjoyed - although at one point the author does say something like 'building in plywood pales in comparison to building a clinker built boat'....having read his trials and tribulations - I might grudgingly agree.

Anyway - thought you folks might appreciate it - or at least appreciate that there are bunches of us doing this slightly nutty thing - and that at least one of us has written about it.
Attachments
IMG_4719.jpg

footer

Post by footer » Tue Jul 30, 2019 3:24 am

I, personally, love the look of the raised edge. My own taste would be to go back to the windshield. Your curved trim piece turned out good. I would recommend sanding all your top deck wood before you install anything raised though..

Sarnian

Post by Sarnian » Tue Jul 30, 2019 6:50 am

yeah....just a touch of sanding needed! :lol:

this is after a quick first pass of a little hand planing, followed by 40g, essentially getting everything fair. Likely will go down to ~120ish. Was then planning on installing the coaming and raised trim, a final sand, staining, then knock the stain down, then CPES x2, then white stripes of epoxy, then epoxy x2, then perfection plus x however many coats I can endure doing. Any suggestions/tweaks to the order?

I am pretty awful at finish work - I just get too impatient - but will try to be a little zen about it.

Biss

Post by Biss » Sat Aug 03, 2019 6:06 am

Your boat is looking great! I too like the look of the raised front edge. Will you be placing any cleats up front. If so you may need to allow enough room to mount them on the raised portion. If you don't, seems like the lines would chafe the raised edge. Just a thought.

Oh, making that little coaming piece in your photo is where I nearly took my thumb off with the router :o looks like you survived with no injuries!

Biss

footer

Post by footer » Fri Aug 16, 2019 5:29 pm

Have you gotten any further with your bow?

Sarnian

Post by Sarnian » Sun Aug 18, 2019 2:57 pm

Hey Footer - thanks for asking. It seems like I've done nothing much for the last few weeks - we had our family vacation to Maine. Although I didn't have my boat with me - we towed up a little jon boat and had the use of a bow rider - so lots of messing about on the water.

When I got back my daughters car broke down...so then I had to fix that. I hate working on cars - but on the plus side, it was nice laying on the tarmac under a car when the temperature is 90 and you don't know what you're doing. Fun. :x - it seems life doesn't want me to finish this boat.

Anyway..I decided to go for it on the raised bow trim - glued this down on Friday. Some sanding and plugging etc to do - but I like it so far. I had originally thought about having a 90 degree on the inside edge rather than a curve - and if I was doing it over I'd likely do that, plus I would start wider at the bow and taper down over the total length of the trim.

We'll see what it looks like when the stain and some stripes are on.
Attachments
IMG_4771.jpg
IMG_4770.jpg
IMG_4769.jpg

hoodman

Post by hoodman » Sun Aug 18, 2019 7:07 pm

I really like that. There's a similar toe rail on the Geronimo design but I haven't attempted it yet.
Matt

Building a Geronimo......!
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=25139

footer

Post by footer » Mon Aug 19, 2019 12:41 pm

That looks great. Nice work. What kind of windshield are you going with?

Biss

Post by Biss » Mon Aug 19, 2019 5:47 pm

Nice work!

Sarnian

Post by Sarnian » Tue Aug 20, 2019 6:28 am

thanks guys.

windshield: I would like to go with a curved windshield with some height. I've been looking at this site https://www.updplastics.com/windshield-manufacturers/

I will have to reach out to them to figure out how to measure for the malahini, most things seems quite straightforward - just wondering about the camber and about fixing it to the deck

footer

Post by footer » Wed Aug 21, 2019 2:21 pm

With your raised bow edge, I thought a wood "V" frame window would look cool and no guesswork with the measurements. Build it how you want it. lol Sorry, don't mind me. Thats just my taste.
But if you look at the smaller plan thats just a picture of the boat ( top &side view), it is drawn with the kind of windshield I think yoJr wanting?! Anyway, that print is drawn to scale. 1"=1‘.
Hope that helps.

Return to “Power Boats”