Hercdrvr

Re: Malahini from MD

Post by Hercdrvr » Wed Nov 13, 2019 7:43 pm

That windshield is fabulous
Matt B

PeterG

Post by PeterG » Thu Nov 14, 2019 3:42 pm

Just catching up on this, your windshield will look fantastic, very like the Riva designs. And should be easy to make the "glass" pieces fit. Looks like a couple sheets curved to fit the frame and mostly just trimming the edge that meets the deck. Clever!
Murphy's Law: Anything that can go wrong, will go wrong.
Griffin's Law: Murphy was an optimist.

footer

Post by footer » Sun Nov 17, 2019 8:23 am

Looking awesome! I like the lower profile. Buy a sheet of lexan or some other polycarbonate (not plexiglass) Maybe 3/32” thick. Make a prototype out of cardboard or another thin bendable plastic. Make it fit perfect, then trace it out on the poly and cut it out.
Glass, if you could even get it made to fit, would be outrageous. You’ll find the poly will last a long time if you rinse it before you clean it (gets all the grit off) and never use paper towels on it.
You will have a beautiful windshield.

TomB

Post by TomB » Sun Nov 17, 2019 9:25 am

For thin bendable templating, I like pasteboard (shoe box material or the backing on a pad of paper) and it comes in a roll from Menards, Lowe's, HD. They sell it to protect wood floors and countertops from people like me. https://www.menards.com/main/paint/pain ... 768&ipos=2
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Ram-Board-3 ... /202823781

It is thick enough to stand stiff for templating developed shapes and thin enough to cut with a couple of passes from a utility knife.

Tom

Sarnian

Post by Sarnian » Sun Nov 17, 2019 1:41 pm

Thanks Tom and footer- I was debating about what to use for template material. The board from depot looks perfect.

Still thinking about the piece that connects the bottom of the lexan to the deck. There is a white plastic strip solution, which would be fairly easy, or I am thinking of creating a wood strip that would be attached to the deck.

Anyways, just back from a weekend in New York, so no progress for a few days....

footer

Post by footer » Sun Nov 17, 2019 2:11 pm

Your top rail turned out so well, I think you just have to finish it out with another one on the bottom. You just have to make sure the two curves work with the windshield.
It’ll look cool either way you choose.
👍

Biss

Post by Biss » Thu Nov 21, 2019 2:43 pm

You nailed it with the second version of the windshield frame! Finishes and metalwork are looking great too! Can't wait to see how it all turns out.

mrintense

Post by mrintense » Fri Nov 22, 2019 6:59 am

Nice work on the redo of the windscreen frame. For what it's worth, it might be a good idea to try heat forming the windscreen over a form if you can figure out a way to heat it up.
Carl
a.k.a. Clipper

Crafting a classically styled Vera Cruise

Clipper's Vera Cruise Build

Sarnian

Post by Sarnian » Mon Dec 09, 2019 7:18 am

I've been traveling again, so not much time to work on the boat. This weekend however, I had a go at some welding. Before you look at the pictures, remember I said I would show the good and the bad!

I did this with an HF 170 mig welder, 0.23 SS wire, and a helium/ar/CO2 trimix shielding gas mix (wow that stuff is expensive). Because this is my first real attempt at welding, I did a couple of practice pieces, got a bit bored, so jumped right in to the cutwater.

Now, after this, I still have to weld the curve at the bottom of the cutwater (so far it has been a straight line). If that all works out I will have a whole lot more sanding/polishing to do. This was done in 18ga 304 SS, 2B finish. It has deformed a little because of heat, but I think it will be OK once screwed down. We'll see.

After that, I tried to make a cap piece for the top of the bow, sitting on the toe rail. Did this in 20ga..it was almost perfect, with one slight pit...which I tried to fix and subsequently destroyed the whole thing. Ah well. As with most things boat..it may well have been cheaper and better to get someone to do all this for me - but I've enjoyed learning so far.
Attachments
post weld...a little grinding done
post weld...a little grinding done
ground down to an OK surface
ground down to an OK surface

JimmY

Post by JimmY » Mon Dec 09, 2019 10:25 am

I'm impressed! Not bad from where I sit.
-Jim
Nothing says poor craftsmanship like wrinkles in your duct tape!

Hercdrvr

Post by Hercdrvr » Mon Dec 09, 2019 2:37 pm

Looks good. I’m going to try it with 75% Argon, 25% CO2 gas. I don’t think I’ll know the difference (no Helium) at my novice level of welding. As the saying goes... I dont need a better welder, just a better grinder.
Matt B

Hercdrvr

Post by Hercdrvr » Mon Dec 09, 2019 2:40 pm

Were you happy working with 18 gauge material?
Matt B

mrintense

Post by mrintense » Mon Dec 09, 2019 4:16 pm

Nice work on the cutwater. You give me confidence that I could do this as well. I too have never welded before. It looks great in the photo. I am sure with some more elbow grease, it will polish up nice and shiny. :D :D
Carl
a.k.a. Clipper

Crafting a classically styled Vera Cruise

Clipper's Vera Cruise Build

joshuab

Post by joshuab » Mon Dec 09, 2019 11:48 pm

Nice work on the cutwater!
I cut twice and it's still too short :mrgreen:

Sarnian

Post by Sarnian » Tue Dec 10, 2019 9:19 am

thanks all!

Matt - I was happy with the 18ga - more forgiving for bad welding technique than the 20ga, but (of course) a little harder to bend into shape.

Return to “Power Boats”