Malahini from MD

Designs for inboard or outboard power

Moderator: BruceDow

Sarnian

Re: Malahini from MD

Post by Sarnian » Mon Jan 13, 2020 7:28 am

Hi Rynomine - not much experience on those lakes - I know generally that deep creek gets really busy, my guess is lake Anna does too...but not sure. Every year or two my family spends some time up in Maine - so we'll use it there, but I also thought the lower Potomac would be good. One place I've been that I liked was Raystown lake - that's about 2 hours from Frederick. We rented a house boat there a few years ago, it was a great weekend - and the lake wasn't busy.

Biss

Post by Biss » Tue Jan 14, 2020 5:43 am

Really nice work on the windshield! Finishes are looking great.

footer

Post by footer » Wed Jan 15, 2020 1:51 pm

I put my fuel vent up and forward on the sidewall of my motor well under the overhang. It’s highly unlikely it will get water in it.
Attachments
Fuel tank vent.
Fuel tank vent.

Sarnian

Post by Sarnian » Wed Jan 15, 2020 5:42 pm

that's a good idea footer.... If only I'd waited! - I put one high on the port side, just aft of the dash (my tank is in the bow) hopefully with the loop in the line that will stop any water getting to the fuel.

footer

Post by footer » Thu Jan 16, 2020 10:31 am

I’m sure you will be fine with it there.

Sarnian

Post by Sarnian » Mon Jan 20, 2020 1:40 pm

I’ve been working on the windshield today with my youngest. I bought some uv resistant Lexan - cut it to shape using the template I made. Then on the frame I put down a little butyl tape. I use some 304 stainless to secure the top and center of the windshield. That is all good I think. I’m not settled on the bottom yet though - currently have some mahogany loosely in place - it is a compound curve so really tough to do without breaking the mahogany. Thought I would let it sit there for a week or so to see if it would take the curve a little more easily.
I would prefer to use stainless for the bottom too but that would be a lot of waste (and $) to match the curve of the deck. We’ll see - May have to go that route. Some photos below
Attachments
FC358441-7766-49D0-985D-A74AF755EF7A.jpeg
02E363C0-817E-4FA9-ACF4-FF7BBC641FD4.jpeg
F38CA54A-3B32-416B-9CE4-3DCD8D661882.jpeg

TomB

Post by TomB » Mon Jan 20, 2020 2:27 pm

Super!

How thick is the Lexan? Did you have to heat it to make the bend?

Tom

Sarnian

Post by Sarnian » Mon Jan 20, 2020 3:23 pm

1/8 thick. Took the bend just fine without heating - and doesn’t feel flimsy.

footer

Post by footer » Tue Jan 21, 2020 10:18 am

Looking killer Dude.

Jimbob

Post by Jimbob » Tue Jan 21, 2020 10:30 am

Looks fantastic!
Jim
Jim Neeley
Building a Barrelback in Sacramento, CA
viewtopic.php?f=15&t=28089#p172969

JimmY

Post by JimmY » Tue Jan 21, 2020 10:37 am

8) 8) 8) 8) Cool windshield. This goes on my "If I build another boat..." list

I've been working with 1/8" plexiglass on another project, and when curved like that I can bet that it is pretty solid.
-Jim
Nothing says poor craftsmanship like wrinkles in your duct tape!

Sarnian

Post by Sarnian » Thu Jan 23, 2020 6:22 am

I’ll preface this by saying I know nothing about engines. Is there anything special I should consider for a self install and use of an Evinrude E-tec (75hp)? I’m considering this engine vs a merc 60 - it’s new but I’d want to hang it myself - to save $ and to learn.

I understand this is a two stroke - so not sure if there are additional considerations in terms of maintenance, noise, etc.

Thanks all for any insight

mrintense

Post by mrintense » Thu Jan 23, 2020 7:41 am

Sarnian wrote:
Thu Jan 23, 2020 6:22 am
I’ll preface this by saying I know nothing about engines. Is there anything special I should consider for a self install and use of an Evinrude E-tec (75hp)? I’m considering this engine vs a merc 60 - it’s new but I’d want to hang it myself - to save $ and to learn.

I understand this is a two stroke - so not sure if there are additional considerations in terms of maintenance, noise, etc.

Thanks all for any insight

First off let me preface my response with: I also am not an expert on outboards or ETEC engines. I am basing my response on some discussions I've had with one dealer in my area who sells Evinrude engines.

I've been struggling with this same question in regards to installing myself or having it done, except that I am considering a slightly bigger ETEC (115).

It's compounded by the fact that Evinrude is supposedly (according to my dealer) going to stop producing the Gen 1 ETEC and replace them with the G2. The problems here are threefold. First off, the G2 is too modern looking for my tastes. Secondly, it is more expensive to purchase and to setup during install. My dealer mentioned approximately $1000 more than the G1. This is mostly related to the third problem, in that the G2 has far more electronics.

This third issue manifests itself in other areas as well. For example, I believe that it requires special Evinrude compatible engine instruments meaning that you are more restricted on pricing and style. It also apparently requires an Evinrude compatible throttle.

Now to be fair I also believe the G1 has some of these restrictions.

I can't answer directly what requirements there are for the actual installation other than some general thoughts on hooking up electrical, fuel, and electronics as well as calibration requirements. I am inclined to go with the dealer on this since this is a new boat, but am torn on the price as well the hassle factor of coordinating with the dealer and insuring that everything is done the way I want it. It is also making it difficult to pre-purchase parts such as instruments since I am unsure what I need.

So I would appreciate seeing this discussion continue with input from those with more knowledge than me.
Carl
a.k.a. Clipper

Crafting a classically styled Vera Cruise

Clipper's Vera Cruise Build

PeterG

Post by PeterG » Thu Jan 23, 2020 10:56 pm

The E-tec 75 sounds like a great choice for the Malahini, you want the lightest engine for the hp which I've seen other Malahinis using them, as well as Yamaha OBs. You can probably do your own install but you're going to want the manufacturer's install manual/instructions. It'll have any unique setup steps you'll need like how to locate it on the transom and install the controls, fuel supply and electrical services. There's likely some forum or owner's group that will have a copy to download. Look at eBay too for a paper copy of the owner's and service manuals. Honestly, you've built your boat with great skill and planning, the outboard will be a piece of cake. Look at Amazon for books on boat mechanical systems, youll probably find general info there too.
Murphy's Law: Anything that can go wrong, will go wrong.
Griffin's Law: Murphy was an optimist.

footer

Post by footer » Fri Jan 24, 2020 10:11 am

YouTube comparisons. There are several. My first engine on my Malahini was a 1969, 65hp, Merc, 2 stroke. Was noisy, smelly, and didn’t run the greatest, but looked cool as heck and gave me a beautiful flat hole shot. Top end was 36mph.
I replaced it with a 2020, 60hp, 4 stroke, fuel injected Merc with the standard lower unit. Quiet, starts easy, no smell, and it looks OK.
It’s 50 lbs heavier, physically bigger, and was a dog out of the hole. I was depressed.
It came with a 3 blade prop (don’t remember the pitch)and I changed that to a 4 blade 14p which made a big difference in hole shots (although it still struggles with 4 adults in it). Top end is 34mph.
I would never buy or recommend a standard thrust bottom end for a Merc. If you buy Merc, spend the extra cash and go with the CT. You will be disappointed if you don’t, I am. (Standard thrust also has to run a smaller prop than CT).
High praises for the engine, disappointed with the standard thrust.

Return to “Power Boats”