Moderator: BruceDow

Sarnian

Re: Malahini from MD

Post by Sarnian »

thanks Bill, with a curve in it the 1/8 lexan is rock solid -

denbrlr

Post by denbrlr »

She is coming together. I like the seats and the windshield looks great as well. What is cool about building boats is in most cases, whatever choice you make it (for the many choices throughout the build) will most likely look great in the end. Not many people build boats so to most people, it will look great whatever you choose :)

Lee

PeterG

Post by PeterG »

Awesome, unique but perfect look!
Murphy's Law: Anything that can go wrong, will go wrong.
Griffin's Law: Murphy was an optimist.

DrBryanJ

Post by DrBryanJ »

Sarnian: I love it!
Bryan

Building a malahini "Mona Lisa"

My wife said "If I build a boat, she's getting a divorce."
We're still happily married, but now she just wants "the dam boat out of the garage."

Biss

Post by Biss »

Windshield is really cool! So, you shooting for a spring/early summer launch?

Sarnian

Post by Sarnian »

thanks guys. Yes, hoping for a launch in early spring - still having trouble with the motor. The fish camp motors mentioned earlier in this thread by Biss were a great deal, however Mercury's exemption from the China tariffs expired on Jan 1 - and because these particular motors are big imported from Canada, and contain Chinese parts, there is a $1400 import fee - which pushed the price up to that of a new motor! - so the search continues....

Biss

Post by Biss »

Too bad regarding the tariff stuff. I also got a quote for a certified preowned motor from www.captkirks.com. I spoke with a sales guy by the name of Cain Hubbard (Ph: 281.367.5630). They quoted me $5,679 + shipping. Can't remember if it was a CT version or not. Might give these guys a call to see if they have used motors available.

Biss

mrintense

Post by mrintense »

The windshield turned out great! Please keep us informed on your motor purchasing process. I'll be doing that in a year or so , Still haven't decided yet if I will go new or slightly used.
Carl

Crafting a classically styled Vera Cruise

Clipper Boating

hoodman

Post by hoodman »

The prices of good used outboards was part of the reason I bought new. Only a couple grand more in some cases.
Matt

Building a Geronimo......!
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=25139

footer

Post by footer »

Facebook marketplace has engines a lot. But you never know what you are getting.
There is a place in Florida that sells new ones that I saw on eBay a lot, but you still have to buy the prop, cables, and controller, and have it shipped.
I bought mine at a local marina. I had the engine mounting holes drilled, cable holes drilled, controller mount made, and all ready to go.
They mounted the engine on my boat and ran the cables up and mounted the controller and hooked up the fuel lines, price included in the $8,000 I paid, and it not only came with a prop, they changed it no cost when it proved to be the wrong one.
I only had a couple grand, so I had to take out a loan, but it was all worth it in the end.

acflynn

Post by acflynn »

I'm late to the party but your windshield design looks incredible - well done!

I've been debating eventual windshield design for my Mist Miss project, as the original plans have a wood 4-pc windshield, but yours is just gorgeous, and looks to be relatively straightforward. What is the distance between the dashboard and the edge of the windshield? Is it about 12"? Do you have plans to put something there? (like the Riva semi-circle holder, or a rear-view mirror) Thanks!

- Andrew
Slowly building a Mist Miss in the Arizona desert

Sarnian

Post by Sarnian »

Hi Andrew - the distance from the dash to the bottom of the windshield is about 15" at its widest point. I was thinking of putting a compass there, or a gps mount, perhaps also a rear view mirror (interested to know if folks find these useful).

You're right - building it wasn't too bad - although I did have two attempts before I was happy with the curve. Plastic wrap and a 20 year old wallpaper steamer made it pretty easy to get the curve for the top. I used a combination of lamination and steaming because I was using dry mahogany. You could get away with just steaming or lamination if you used something a bit more forgiving or green. The bottom piece I couldn't do with steaming (didn't have the patience to get the curve right) - so I cut this from some waste mahogany boards that I scarfed together - but it is doable for sure.

footer

Post by footer »

I have both a mirror and a compass. Rarely use either of them, but they’re fun to have (my wife loves to take pictures through the mirror).
I haven’t pulled anyone skiing or tubing yet. That’s where you will use the mirror most.
A compass is good if your going to be navigating large buddies if water or several small islands ..... or if you get lost in the middle of your lake. Otherwise it’s more of a novelty item. 😀
Your right about the bending. Kiln dried wood does not take steam well.
Attachments
Mirror and compass
Mirror and compass

Sarnian

Post by Sarnian »

not much work this weekend - made up some stainless pieces to hide the frames as they pass through the sole.I also put the dials back in and wired in a couple of things that I hadn't done yet. The other thing I did was epoxy in a couple of pieces of plywood backer on the inside of the bow, so that when I screw the cutwater in place, the screws don't penetrate through the hull.

I sent the cutwater off to get the U bolt welded to it. I had a go at doing one myself - it came out OK but I was a little too impatient, so I got some warping on the cutwater. Welding is one of those things that I quite enjoy - but it is frustrating - I think perhaps in part because its stainless and because these are thin pieces that I'm using.

Footer - thanks for the info on the mirror...it does look cool.
Attachments
IMG_5179.jpg

footer

Post by footer »

I went to the boat show last weekend. They always have a section of antique boats and this 1960 Riva was there and I thought of you.
Attachments
1960 Riva
1960 Riva

Return to “Power Boats”