Malahini from MD

Designs for inboard or outboard power

Moderator: BruceDow

Sarnian

Re: Malahini from MD

Post by Sarnian »

Man that’s beautiful. Made all the better by the fact you have a beer in your hand! Thanks for posting!

mrintense

Post by mrintense »

I really like that stainless cover over the gussets/frame lower section. I have several of those exposed in that aft end of the boat and have been wondering what I might do about them.
Carl

Crafting a classically styled Vera Cruise

Clipper Boating

Sarnian

Post by Sarnian »

Thanks Carl - I just bought some polished 20ga stainless - cut with a jigsaw, bent it with a home made brake (a couple of heavy hinges and a 2x4 - which is about as professional as the barbie sewing machine I used for the upholstery), and trimmed to size using a grinder with a flap wheel on it. Super easy.

Sarnian

Post by Sarnian »

Got the cutwater back with the u bolt welded into it. A couple of hours sanding and polishing later it was ready to install. After that I was finally able to install the gas tank. Not much left to do before I can't go any further without an engine. :D
Attachments
D24502B0-4B29-4F7D-81D4-B02422107B8A.jpeg

Hercdrvr

Post by Hercdrvr »

Very nice cutwater. The eye bolt is only welded to the cut water, right? How long are those screws holding it secure. I would want them long enough to sink into the stem. People on the crank handle love to crank like it’s a competition sometimes.
Matt B

Sarnian

Post by Sarnian »

Hi Matt - yes, you got it. There are six inches of thread I believe, so all the way through the stem and bolted on the other side

Sarnian

Post by Sarnian »

Sorry. I should clarify - the u bolt has six inches of thread, so it is welded through the cutwater but the threads pass through it and through the stem, secured inside the boat. The screws shown on the cutwater are just securing the cutwater, not intended to secure the ubolt.

footer

Post by footer »

I was thinking of doing the same thing with mine. How much trouble did you have drilling them straight through?

mrintense

Post by mrintense »

Nice work on the cutwater and u bolt.

Where did you find 6" threaded u bolts. I have had no luck whatsoever with that and have resigned myself to counter boring the stem or having someone weld threaded rods on the ends. Not keen on either of those ideas.
Carl

Crafting a classically styled Vera Cruise

Clipper Boating

Sarnian

Post by Sarnian »

Hey footer - it was a little painful - but I will say I wasn't really very patient and just went for it. The holes needed to be widened a bit to make up for not being perfectly parallel. I did see someone on the forum make a jig that was pretty cool (sorry can't remember who) but I was too impatient to do that.

I got the bolts from Amazon I believe. Will double check and post.

Sarnian

Post by Sarnian »

Just looked. These were an Amazon purchase - novelbee 5/8 u bolt - but they are no longer sold in that length - they only have 3.5" thread left as far as I can tell.

Sarnian

Post by Sarnian »

Carl - this wasn't the one I got but perhaps this is useful

https://www.amazon.com/Marine-City-Ster ... B07GL4X3G7

raymon

Post by raymon »

Hello Everyone:
I was also facing the same problem after that I had read the comments and my problems have been solved.
Once again Thanks for guiding it.

Sarnian

Post by Sarnian »

Out of the garage for the first time in over a year. It took me ten minutes to get it out smoothly, there's less than an inch of clearance between the wheels and the garage on either side....

She's off to get the engine installed. I went with the 60hp Merc CT. So fingers crossed we'll be all good. Abd thanks again all for the advice on engines!
Attachments
132AAC56-AE70-4445-944D-6F1999954CC7.jpeg
7F773D19-12EC-4005-AD04-B195BF0072B6.jpeg
06ECED67-D000-44E0-BC1C-0F15DA3232E9.jpeg

chugalug

Post by chugalug »

That sure is a purdy boat!I've been looking around for long eye bolt for "Chug". Found some galvanized eye bolts at E-Rigging.com.Some as big as 1"x 18 inch for 22.20 each .think I'll try the 3/4 ones for 14.15 each.They are for outside power poles.or maybe stop at power company in town and see if they will sell me one. :D
Working on regular-sized Bo-Jest

"If it's not crooked,It's not mine

Return to “Power Boats”