Malahini from MD

Designs for inboard or outboard power

Moderator: BruceDow

Sarnian

Re: Malahini from MD

Post by Sarnian »

yeah...I suspect that if I'd just put "wood" it would have been ok. State Farm have given me coverage - at least for now! Hoping to head out this weekend.....

footer

Post by footer »

I live on a lake, so my boat is covered under my homeowners insurance. Had no problem.
I made a plate for my boat, but didn’t put down capacity. In reality, any more than four adults and it’s hard to get up on plane.
So glad to hear your getting her in the water. Congratulations!

Sarnian

Post by Sarnian »

Today was a good day.

Took Mandi (with a heart over the i) out on the Potomac, put her in right by the pentagon at a cool private marina where you can pay $10 to use the ramp and park. Their machine was broken - the dude who worked there said “don’t worry about the money man, go have fun”.

It was fairly choppy - abs the boat was laden down with four adults, but were managed to get up on the plane just fine. Still breaking the engine in, so no WOT yet, and that would have been uncomfortable and a little dangerous.

Not much water in the bilge, maybe 1/2 cup after being out for 4 hours.

Happy days! I will post a video soon but thought I would share a photo - we moored up in Alexandria to grab a sandwich.
Attachments
A6855AB9-2F20-49D5-89E6-D76ED39370C1.jpeg

hoodman

Post by hoodman »

Awesome! Congrats on the launch.
Matt

Building a Geronimo......!
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=25139

Biss

Post by Biss »

Sweet! Looks great on the water! Congratulations on your successful launch. Lookin forward to a video.

footer

Post by footer »

WOOHOOO!!! Glad to see it done and running. Malahini’s don’t ride well fast on choppy waters. Ive hit a couple waves so hard I thought my hull would crack open.
So happy to see her in the water. Congrats!

altondavid

Post by altondavid »

Looks great! Windshield really makes a statement. Looking forward to the video!

mrintense

Post by mrintense »

Beautiful! Congratulations on the launch. I know there has been a lot of hard work in this build and I am sure that you are getting you're share of appreciative comments and questions despite the pandemic distancing.
Carl

Crafting a classically styled Vera Cruise

Clipper Boating

Sarnian

Post by Sarnian »

So I took her out again this weekend on the Potomac - man it was bumpy - no real wind to speak of but there's a lot of traffic and the river never seems to be calm. Hitting a 1-2ft wave at speed in the Malahini is not particularly comfortable! I still don't have a good video so I guess I'll have to try again. The lakes are a little ways away from us but we'll make the trip soon enough. The good news is that I'm closing in on wrapping up the 10 hour break-in time on the motor :D

I've worked on a couple of other things - I got a brass HIN plate made up and have countersunk that into the transom and covered it with epoxy, I also installed a USB outlet (have been using a navigation app on my phone to get depth etc). Next up - figuring where/how to stow an anchor.

Lastly...and I hesitate to mention this, I've bought a Bimini. It was either that or boat by myself - it was just too hot for my family. I'm bummed about ruining the look of the fair curve of the Malahini deck - but needs must. I'll take some photos once it has arrived and is installed.

Hope everyone is good...

DrBryanJ

Post by DrBryanJ »

I am thinking about an anchor like this. I think i will fit in the front storage compartment when not needed.http://gotwatermarine.com/Slide_Anchor.html
Bryan

Building a malahini "Mona Lisa"

My wife said "If I build a boat, she's getting a divorce."
We're still happily married, but now she just wants "the dam boat out of the garage."

Sarnian

Post by Sarnian »

That’s a cool anchor!

Back to insurance - I’m now being asked for a survey in order to get an appraisal price... any recommendations or experience? I’m not sure the insurance company know what they want...

hoodman

Post by hoodman »

Keep shopping until you find a company that doesn't jerk you around. You shouldn't need a survey for a 16 foot boat.
Matt

Building a Geronimo......!
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=25139

denbrlr

Post by denbrlr »

Glad to see your boat in the water. Yes, please post a video.

Lee

footer

Post by footer »

Glad your getting it on the water. Everyone is amazed a how smooth my boat rides, but it does hit wakes hard. I always throttle back when I see them coming.
Good luck with the insurance. Sounds like they have some real geniuses working for them.

Biss

Post by Biss »

I was quoted $1000.00 for a survey when I was looking into insurance options. The guy said it was not common to do surveys on small boats like ours and it takes a while to do one properly. He said a survey is more typically done for a pre sale on larger more valuable vessels. I would keep looking... I was able to get insurance thru Hagerty ($346.00/yr). Arkansas only requires liability, but I have $15k on the boat and another $1k on the trailer. I just looked at my Hagerty application and I apparently chose "wood" as my hull material. I thought that was accurate...

Biss

Return to “Power Boats”