Designs for inboard or outboard power

Moderator: BruceDow

rynomine

Re: Malahini from MD

Post by rynomine »

Sarnian wrote:
Mon Jun 08, 2020 11:39 am
So I took her out again this weekend on the Potomac
What boat ramp on the Potomac did you launch at?

Sarnian

Post by Sarnian »

I've been offline for a couple of weeks - actually been in the keys running around in a plastic boat doing some fishing and diving.

The insurance saga continues...not sure how it will shake out. I found a company that will do an appraisal for the boat for $300. That might be the route I end up taking.

For putting in to the Potomac - I've gone to a couple of places. Leesylvania state park - really great boat launching facilities (two big ramps, piers etc), tons of room for parking with a trailer - but if you time it wrong you'll be in an hour long line of traffic to pay the park entrance fee. The other place was Columbia Island Marina - right next to Reagan airport - cost was $10, including parking. There is a public launch nearby but Columbia island seemed quieter and with more parking - given that this was my first launch it was worth the $10 (which I didn't end up paying because the machine was broken!)

rbrandenstein

Post by rbrandenstein »

What size bimini did you get? Also, do you have a picture of it up?
We boat in Missouri and it has been in the 90's all week. The sun turns the dark wood into a hot pad. I am thinking a bimini would help but want one that is the right proportion for the Malahini. I also have a fitted cover which won't work with the bimini attached, so I will have to remove the bimini each time I button up the boat.

Sarnian

Post by Sarnian »

Hi Bob - I used coverquest for the Bimini, aluminum frame with stainless steel fittings. I also bought the quick release pins so as to be able to remove the Bimini quickly. The size I got was Height 35" Width 67"-72" Length 72" Carver 7 oz. Sun-DURA. $500 all in.

I will take a photo (have to pull it out of the garage first) and post. I have to work on the install because it is not sitting correctly when you look head on - I think having two people do the install would make this easier. With hindsight I may have chosen a slightly longer Bimini - but it provides good shade - we were out this last weekend in 90+ weather and it was a life saver....

Milhouse

Post by Milhouse »

I too am interested in Bimini options for my build, love to see pics.
Jim
16' Ski Boat Restoration
17' Overnighter Sloop

I'd rather have a $h!tty meal than an $h!tty resume because a totally awesome resume will feed me steak one day - Steve Poltz

Sarnian

Post by Sarnian »

As requested - Bimini pics. I might have gone for the longer version - but this works. This is the 35" high Bimini, which still seems a little high. The long pole can be reduced by 10", which I guess would lower the top by ~7" or so. My wife (5'4") can stand up under this easily, so I guess the internal height is about 5'8" from the sole - but that's a complete guess. I still don't like the look of it - but it definitely makes things a bit more practical!

At some point I need to tackle a cover - preferably one that can be used for towing and for leaving the boat on a mooring overnight. Any advice or experience on this would be great to hear.
Attachments
IMG_5438.jpg
IMG_5440.jpg

vupilot

Post by vupilot »

That is one heck of a classy looking Malahini. The bimini should definitely translate to the boat being enjoyed more.

Milhouse

Post by Milhouse »

Thanks for the pics. Ya, I see what you are saying its not sexy but will be more practical for sure, that sun is relentless.

I really like your windshield, I don't think I had a good look at it before. Are you happy with the height for blocking the wind?
Jim
16' Ski Boat Restoration
17' Overnighter Sloop

I'd rather have a $h!tty meal than an $h!tty resume because a totally awesome resume will feed me steak one day - Steve Poltz

Sarnian

Post by Sarnian »

Hi Jim - yep, I'm happy. More by luck than design, its at the right height to allow me to look through or over the windshield and does a great job blocking the wind

Sarnian

Post by Sarnian »

rbrandenstein wrote:
Tue Jul 07, 2020 6:01 am
What size bimini did you get? Also, do you have a picture of it up?
We boat in Missouri and it has been in the 90's all week. The sun turns the dark wood into a hot pad. I am thinking a bimini would help but want one that is the right proportion for the Malahini. I also have a fitted cover which won't work with the bimini attached, so I will have to remove the bimini each time I button up the boat.
- do you have a pic with the fitted cover on? I had read (somewhere) that towing a wooden boat with a cover on can lead to wear and tear on the finish - I wondered if you've seen any of that?

thanks!

Sarnian

Post by Sarnian »

Not the best video - but better than nothing I suppose! This was on Lake Anna in Virginia, which is an incredibly busy lake. More like a highway than a lake actually. This was the only vaguely quiet water we could find.

https://youtu.be/cfbHNtjAwns

I love my boat...but man is it not built for any type of chop! - I am starting to make hints about a second build that will deal with the rougher water around here....my family hasn't bought in to it yet.

denbrlr

Post by denbrlr »

Glad you love your boat. Hopefully you will be able to find some more smooth water :) Cruising along at a little more than idle is fun too :)

Lee

hoodman

Post by hoodman »

Congrats on the launch she looks great in the water.
Matt

Building a Geronimo......!
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=25139

mrintense

Post by mrintense »

Nice work. Congrats on the launch. Looks like the weather was perfect that day.
Carl

Crafting a classically styled Vera Cruise

Clipper Boating

Return to “Power Boats”