Malahini from MD

Designs for inboard or outboard power

Moderator: BruceDow

Sarnian

Re: Malahini from MD

Post by Sarnian » Tue Aug 27, 2019 10:36 am

Hey footer - any pictures of what you're thinking? Always open to some creative input!

footer

Post by footer » Tue Aug 27, 2019 11:24 am

Google, "wood boat windshields" and click on images. There are bunches of really cool frame styles you can build yourself and use poly-carbonate or glass in them. The nice thing is, you can design them however you choose.

Sarnian

Post by Sarnian » Fri Aug 30, 2019 11:42 am

So I spent an hour or so tuning up my chisels and plane blades...it was overdue but I got them really sharp. Beautifully sharp...mahogany end grain, no problem!

As you all know, it is usually just after you get them to that stage that your chisel rolls off the boat, and hits the concrete floor, completely chipping the beautifully sharp edge....well this happened to me last night - but, with quick thinking, I prevented the blade from hitting the floor by sticking my foot out to catch it. I was wearing sandals. I have to say...it was a remarkably sharp blade. I was actually quite proud of the clean hole it put in my foot. Anyway, quite a lot of blood issued forth - but nothing that a lot of swearing and a tube of superglue couldn't fix. :oops:

Have a safe weekend everyone!

footer

Post by footer » Tue Sep 03, 2019 9:54 am

You make it sound so fun. Hope it didn't do any nerve or tendon damage?! I sharpened my knife to a razor edge and proceeded to stab a 1" hole in my leg. Yeah, so much for sharp tools. lol

Gayle Brantuk

Post by Gayle Brantuk » Tue Sep 03, 2019 3:06 pm

Oh my goodness, Sarnian! I'm glad you're okay--ow.

Sarnian

Post by Sarnian » Fri Sep 06, 2019 6:34 am

OK...a question that I know has been asked many times, but I still don't have a good answer or at least enough confidence to make a decision.

I am close to pulling the trigger on an engine. I've been looking at a 60hp (Suzuki and Yamaha, weighing in at around the 260ish mark) - however, given that I'd like to carry 4 adults around, do some tubing etc, I am keen to go up to 70-90hp range. The problem is weight - 340lbs or so. My transom is beefy (2.5" thick), with a single knee, but with the motor well that adds strength and effectively two knees. My fuel tank is in the bow. My two batteries are immediately behind the rear seats.

So...if I were to go 70-90hp, 340lbs.

Transom strong enough?
Weight distribution OK?

votes..thoughts...opinions...experience - all gratefully received.

Hercdrvr

Post by Hercdrvr » Fri Sep 06, 2019 10:27 am

Yamaha makes a 70hp that weighs 260 lbs, Bob B runs one on his Malahini, very nice engine. I run a 2 stroke 90 hp, 256 lbs and there many 60 hp engines on Malahini’s. Performance between them isn’t a big difference. We’re talking 5 mph, and there’s always somebody faster no matter how big of an engine you strap on the back.
I think a well built transom would handle a 340lb 90 hp just fine. You may need some trim tabs to keep control of the bow at the higher speeds.
What about the E-Tec 90hp, 320lbs?
Matt B

Sarnian

Post by Sarnian » Fri Sep 06, 2019 10:30 am

Thanks Matt! - was just looking at the Yamaha 70 - $10.5k installed....:shock: , although maybe that's a price I should start to get comfortable with!

Bill Edmundson

Post by Bill Edmundson » Fri Sep 06, 2019 11:41 am

The Suzuki's are coming on strong along the Gulf Coast at a considerable savings.

Bill
Mini -Tug, KH Tahoe 19 & Bartender 24 - There can be no miracle recoveries without first screwing up.
Tahoe 19 Build

Sarnian

Post by Sarnian » Fri Sep 06, 2019 12:20 pm

Hi Bill - thanks! - - your comment a few pages back about Suzuki's and freshwater (you might not remember making it!) made me price out the Suzuki 60hp - it is definitely cheaper, about 2k cheaper I think - I was just a tad concerned that it might be underpowered - perhaps that's just silly though. I have no frame of reference really. I'm guessing this is the usual thing everyone goes through - I just want to make the right decision given how much $ these babies are.

rbrandenstein

Post by rbrandenstein » Fri Sep 06, 2019 1:33 pm

If you keep trolling Craigslist, you should be able to find a used Yamaha 70. They do show up on occasion. I was watching for 6 months before I found one about 150 miles away. I bought the service/set-up manual on eBay and set it up myself. As it was used, I was less concerned about the warranty.
It runs like a champ.

Hercdrvr

Post by Hercdrvr » Fri Sep 06, 2019 2:27 pm

I wrestled with these exact questions 3 years ago and for me the answer is: buy the bigger engine and have enough power for the day you have 5 adults in the boat or pulling up a 200 lb skier. The used 90hp market is plentiful because guys bought an under powered bass boat to save money and now they are upgrading to a 150hp.
Your journey may look significantly different than mine.
Matt B

Biss

Post by Biss » Fri Sep 06, 2019 8:07 pm

I guess you probably have seen my report on the 60hp I have on my malahini. The 60hp command thrust has a similar power curve to the Yamaha 70hp (4 stroke). The Merc supposedly has better torque at the low end of the rpm range, and I would assume the 70 would probably give a slightly higher top speed a WOT. If I didn't go with the 60hp command thrust I would have probably bumped on up to a 90hp 2 stroke.

I have had about 550lbs of people in the boat and don't really notice much difference in performance. We pull our girls on a two person tube without any issues. Also have pulled my wife/kids on water skis. So far, i'm really satisified with the Merc!

Just for reference, I purchased my motor used (2018 w/ approx 100hrs) for $5400. Price included $300 shipping to my house. I had to buy controls and a wiring harness separately and install it all myself. Best of luck in you motor search!

Sarnian

Post by Sarnian » Sun Sep 08, 2019 5:15 pm

Thanks Chaps - this is all awesome advice - it's actually given me a little more confidence to keep looking at used motors. I was concerned about the install - but, what's the worst that could go wrong.
Biss - the Merc command thrust looks like a great option. I just found one online that looks to be an OK deal. Will keep hunting around....thanks so much.

This weekend - the stain has been sitting on the deck for a week or so, so knocked it down with a light sand. Then bit the bullet and sanded the hull. I had originally tried putting on a two part clear coat, but I just wasn't happy with the finish - so I sanded it off and put on perfection plus. Four coats on so far. I'm pretty happy with the finish - but it does reveal every wave in the hull - made me wish I had spent a bit more time long-boarding. Oh well - life's too short!
Attachments
IMG_4812.jpg
IMG_4811.jpg

JimmY

Post by JimmY » Mon Sep 09, 2019 8:34 am

Your hull looks pretty good from here. You won't notice the waviness at 30 mph with water splashing up along the sides! 8)

I'm glad you went with the toe rail on the fore deck, it is a nice feature.
-Jim
Nothing says poor craftsmanship like wrinkles in your duct tape!

Return to “Power Boats”