Malahini from MD

Designs for inboard or outboard power

Moderator: BruceDow

Biss

Re: Malahini from MD

Post by Biss » Mon Sep 09, 2019 5:38 pm

Looks great! Love the trim on the deck. Really cool. Sides look fine to me too.

footer

Post by footer » Tue Sep 10, 2019 6:54 am

So you’ve probably read my horror stories with engines. There are good old school engines out there, I’m sure, but the newer are quieter, more efficient, and more reliable. Good news for me is the old and new school engines all bolt up with the same bolt pattern.
I bought the standard thrust Merc 60. Not overwhelmed with the performance. I had to put a 10” 14p 4 blade prop to get on plane with 4 adults in the boat with a top end of 30mph.
I would love to ride in Biss’ boat to see the difference. It can only be good.
Dollar for dollar, I would recommend the 60 CT.
My 69 65hp Merc has the same gear ratio as the new 60CT (2.3:1) where the standard thrust is only 1.85:1, which Translates to taller gears, smaller prop. I wish I had realized ahead of time.

footer

Post by footer » Tue Sep 10, 2019 7:30 am

by the way, great job on the boat. All your trim looks perfect from here.

Sarnian

Post by Sarnian » Tue Sep 10, 2019 10:14 am

Hey footer - thanks!

Yes, it was your story that got me thinking - you persuaded me to forget about an older engine (they are so beautiful though...) - and made me realize that there's a difference between the regular Merc and the Command Thrust. While my wife and I are pretty light, the friends and beer we'll take with us are not...so I'm thinking more is better and it sounds like the CT or the Yamaha 70 might be the sweet spot.

Thanks again for the recommendation.

Hercdrvr

Post by Hercdrvr » Tue Sep 10, 2019 11:04 am

Installing an outboard is no big deal if you have an engine hoist or a gantry.
Matt B
Attachments
0BCA0F30-4FBA-464F-9862-0341DD11C8AD.jpeg

Sarnian

Post by Sarnian » Wed Sep 18, 2019 9:47 am

Just a small amount of progress since the last post. I laid down two coats of CPES on the deck and two coats of epoxy - now I am starting to put down some of the white lines, using epoxy with microbeads. A couple of things I'll have to work on - I had some pretty pronounced fish-eyes on the epoxy. I think this was because I sanded the CPES with too fine a paper (300), and because I used a tack cloth that may have left some residue. The other issue is that the white lines are sitting fairly low, so I will likely have to fill each line twice.

My plan is to finish the lines, give it all a fairly easy sanding, then lay down at least another 2x of epoxy to try and smooth things out a little. Fingers crossed that at that point I'll be in good enough shape to move forward with Perfection Plus.
IMG_4822.jpg

PeterG

Post by PeterG » Wed Sep 18, 2019 5:57 pm

Looking great! Good luck with the deck, hope you got the fisheye issue cover out.
Murphy's Law: Anything that can go wrong, will go wrong.
Griffin's Law: Murphy was an optimist.

footer

Post by footer » Thu Sep 19, 2019 3:30 am

Looks like your moving along quite well. Interesting about the fisheyes. I had the same problem with my dash. I refinished it three times. Finally, I sanded it with 240 grit and then 400. The instructions on the Interlux say to clean the surface with their solvent (got it on Amazon). I used it and then went over it with a T-shirt (no fuzzies) and lots of clean water. Then hand buffed it dry. It turned out perfect.
Be sure to get to the bottom of the fish eye, because that's where whatever contaminant is that caused your problem. The solvent should take care of that and the clean water will remove any solvent residue that is left.
When you do your top decking on the motor well, be sure to make it wide enough to clear the steering arm swing. I made my too narrow and had to cut a 1" slot on the left side to clear the steering arm.
Good luck.
Keep Smiling :)
Tom

Biss

Post by Biss » Fri Sep 20, 2019 11:25 am

Looking really good! I also had to fill the seams a few times before getting them all flush.

hoodman

Post by hoodman » Fri Sep 20, 2019 2:25 pm

Looking great. By my count there are four or five new Malahinis that could make it to the Gathering next year if everyone gets to work.
Matt

Building a Geronimo......!
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=25139

Return to “Power Boats”