Malahini from MD

Designs for inboard or outboard power

Moderator: BruceDow

Sarnian

Re: Malahini from MD

Post by Sarnian » Fri Jan 24, 2020 5:20 pm

Guys...this is awesome - thank you.

Footer - I have been looking at the CT merc based entirely on the conversations back and forth with you and Biss - I can find one, but so far have only found new - and they sometimes come with the stipulation that it has to be shipped to an authorized merc installer. I'm assuming yours was new too? - did you do the professional install? My guess is that will add another 2k or so....Apologies (and please ignore) if you've answered this before - I will scour the old posts when I get on a better connection.

On my way back from a work trip in NY - hoping to get some time on the boat this weekend but we'll see. Still a list of things left to do but I know I can't put off making a decision about the engine much longer!

Sarnian

Post by Sarnian » Fri Jan 24, 2020 5:21 pm

Peter...thanks for this advice! I will definitely check this out - and also do some you-tubing.

Biss

Post by Biss » Fri Jan 24, 2020 7:51 pm

Your boat is really comming together!

So, I purchased my outboard slightly used from smalloutboards.com . It was a big leap of faith for me to send them a huge chunk of money for a motor sight unseen! That said I have only good things to say about the transaction and the company. Motor arrived in original shipping container and the motor looked like it was new! It was one of their Fish Camp motors that came from Canada. My motor was manufactured in 2018 and I think I paid $5300 shipped. Motor does not come with controls or prop. No complaints with my purchase so far! You might give these guys a call to see what they have available. I believe I spoke with the owner, Albert.

Andy Garrett

Post by Andy Garrett » Sat Jan 25, 2020 8:01 am

Great boat!
Windscreen is cat's pajamas!
Andy Garrett

Perhaps the slowest Zip build in Glen-L history...

footer

Post by footer » Sun Jan 26, 2020 7:45 pm

I went down to the local marina and ordered mine new. (Had to take out a loan for two thirds of it). When it came in, I got all my correct sized holes drilled and got everything ready, then I took it down there and they installed the new motor for me, which was built in the price. They started me out with one prop and when it didn’t work, they swapped it out for me for free.
Most of the engines you buy online are just the engine and you can figure $500-$600 for the controls and prop.
Facebook marketplace has lots of engines. Some you have to buy the whole boat and trailer. Lol

Sarnian

Post by Sarnian » Tue Jan 28, 2020 9:45 am

funny...! - yes, I looked at some of the donor boats too...I just couldn't find any engine/trailer combination that would be worth spending a few days chopping up and disposing of an old boat.

Biss - I've spoken to Albert at smalloutboards.com - seems like a good dude - thanks for the referral. There are just some details to iron out with the new 2020 import tariffs, so hoping to square that away this week - and hopefully will have one of their fish camp merc 60hp CTs on its way.

Biss

Post by Biss » Tue Jan 28, 2020 6:35 pm

I had similar delays due to tariff concerns. Seems like it only took a couple weeks before it was worked out and then it shipped. Hope your transaction goes as well as mine did.

hoodman

Post by hoodman » Thu Jan 30, 2020 7:22 am

I had a 25 hp merc on my jon boat. It was a great engine. VERY quiet. I have a 90 ETEC on my Geronimo. It is incredibly powerful. It is the lightest 90hp outboard you can currently buy. It is a far cry from the older two-stroke engines in every way. I'm pretty sure the 75 and 90 ETEC are basically the same engine. They weigh the same at least.

I'm pretty sure any time you buy a NEW engine of whatever brand it will be required to have the dealer install it in order to get the warranty. If you're worried about that, insist that you are present during installation.

Those fish camp motors seem like a really good deal. Good luck!
Matt

Building a Geronimo......!
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=25139

Sarnian

Post by Sarnian » Thu Jan 30, 2020 9:05 am

thanks all for the engine advice - hopefully all will be sorted soon.

Couple of small things - finished the rear cushions - I sewed these on the pink plastic mini sewing machine we gave my youngest when she was about 6.... they are pretty terrible - but meant to only last a season or two! Also added a little more SS on the windshield frame. Just waiting for some more to come in so I can finish the bottom of the frame. Couple of pictures attached just for fun
Attachments
IMG_5120.jpg
IMG_5095.jpg

footer

Post by footer » Thu Jan 30, 2020 12:53 pm

I’ll bet the ETEC’s are like the merc’s in that, Mercury 40, 50, and 60, are the same engines. The 40 is a smaller bore, but the 50 is just a tuned down 60 in the electronics.
Nice job on the Barbie seat, lol. It looks good to me. the windshield is looking great too.

Sarnian

Post by Sarnian » Thu Jan 30, 2020 7:46 pm

The very first thing I made - even before i ordered plans - was a steering wheel. I bought a metal steering wheel from eBay for about $15. Ground the wheel down then made a wood wheel to attach to it. I made it using some red oak steps that were left over from refinishing my basement. At the time I stained it a dark brown. You can see it in the back of some of my pictures hanging on the wall. This week I sanded it back down to the wood and stained it to match my hull and deck. One coat of epoxy. Made me feel quite nostalgic to refinish it - that was the beginning of my Glen L journey.
Attachments
34B6D89A-A9E2-49E7-AED7-02B6576C27E1.jpeg

Gayle Brantuk

Post by Gayle Brantuk » Fri Jan 31, 2020 11:05 am

That's beautiful!

hoodman

Post by hoodman » Fri Jan 31, 2020 9:13 pm

The upholstery looks good! I like the pleats.
Matt

Building a Geronimo......!
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=25139

Sarnian

Post by Sarnian » Tue Feb 11, 2020 1:11 pm

decided to finish the bottom of the windshield with stainless - looks good from a few feet away, so passes my test. Have been out in Las Vegas the last few days, joining my mrs on a work trip, so no progress beyond this.
Attachments
IMG_5151.jpg
IMG_5149.jpg

Bill Edmundson

Post by Bill Edmundson » Tue Feb 11, 2020 4:18 pm

Sarnian

Really great job! Looking through the windshield I don't see much distortion.

Bill
Mini -Tug, KH Tahoe 19 & Bartender 24 - There can be no miracle recoveries without first screwing up.
Tahoe 19 Build

Return to “Power Boats”