Malahini from MD

Designs for inboard or outboard power

Moderator: BruceDow

Biss

Re: Hi from Maryland - building the Malahini

Post by Biss » Mon Feb 25, 2019 6:57 pm

Your boat is looking really good. Very nice craftsmanship! Thanks for posting the wiring diagram too!

Sarnian

Post by Sarnian » Wed Feb 27, 2019 2:11 pm

Hi all. A question. I'm looking at a 1989 shoreland'r trailer, with bunks. Model AV1817. Gvw 3000lb. Galvanized steel with 13" wheels. They are asking $600. Anyone have any opinions or advice? I would likely offer less but just trying to get a feel for whether this is the right trailer for a malahini. Those wheels seem small!

PeterG

Post by PeterG » Wed Feb 27, 2019 2:37 pm

The trailer load rating is about twice what your boat will weigh when it's ready for the lake, that means the springs/suspension will be stiffer than you want or need. The 13" rims seems ok, I would not go smaller. If the physical fit of your boat on the trailer seems right, you could swap in a different set of springs rated for your load.
Keep up the great work, your boat is really coming along nicely!
Murphy's Law: Anything that can go wrong, will go wrong.
Griffin's Law: Murphy was an optimist.

Sarnian

Post by Sarnian » Wed Feb 27, 2019 2:41 pm

Aha. This is great info. I hadn't thought of it this way, I only thought of having to get something that could carry at least 1600 - not thinking that too much might be a problem. Thanks so much

PeterG

Post by PeterG » Wed Feb 27, 2019 3:58 pm

You can go a bit over with the trailer load rating, but I think more than 50 percent over is too much. It makes for a jittery bouncy trailer without enough rebound in the springs to keep from going airborne on bumps. For a general comparison of trailer loads I just checked the Glen L Malahini page and they recommend their 750/1000 series trailer design which I personally think is too low. I calculated a hull weight of about 1300 lbs at the design waterline. To me that means the 1200/1800 design is a better choice.

Edit:. I just rechecked the Glen L catalog and the 1200/1800 trailer is the recommended design for the Malahini, my Google search must have turned up an old obsolete page. :lol:
Last edited by PeterG on Sat Mar 02, 2019 7:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Murphy's Law: Anything that can go wrong, will go wrong.
Griffin's Law: Murphy was an optimist.

Hercdrvr

Post by Hercdrvr » Thu Feb 28, 2019 5:10 am

If I were spending $600 on a used Malahini trailer it would have to be pretty much a perfect fit, turn key trailer and used trailers aren’t perfect. Here’s my experience with used trailers....it’s all about getting the right size frame so the boat is easy to load and I want it to look right sitting in the trailer. Little boat on a big trailer looks dumb. Folks don’t sell used trailers with new tires, bearings and a fully functioning electrical. I plan on about $350 to make one road trip ready.
I like setting my axle position so my tongue weight is dead nuts on, a swaying trailer is one of the scariest events a driver can experience.
This little galvanized trailer is about the smallest that will work for a Malahini. Paid $200 and spent another $300, Pulls fine and the whole rig fits in a 20 ft garage bay. I hope my experience helps you make decisions best for you.
Matt B
Attachments
I sure need some moon hub caps
I sure need some moon hub caps

Sarnian

Post by Sarnian » Thu Feb 28, 2019 11:33 am

Really useful Matt - thank you. Do you (or others) perhaps have model numbers of trailers that have worked well with a malahini?

Sarnian

Post by Sarnian » Thu Feb 28, 2019 2:41 pm

Another question. The point you make about fitting in a garage is a really good one. I have been considering installing a folding tongue. Anyone have any experience doing this on an existing trailer. I have seen kits to do this but don't know if they are good/safe

Hercdrvr

Post by Hercdrvr » Fri Mar 01, 2019 10:11 pm

I Never installed a folding tongue kit but I bet any fellow that can build a boat can do it.
Matt B

hoodman

Post by hoodman » Sat Mar 02, 2019 1:41 pm

The trailer is one of those things that sneaks up on you in terms of cost. It's not easy to find a suitable used trailer for a specific boat. Even a new "adjustable" trailer is likely to take some money in upgrades. My trailer was new so it had LED lights and other nice goodies. But I added an extra set of bunks, guideposts, a spare tire etc. It all starts to add up quickly.
Matt

Building a Geronimo......!
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=25139

Sarnian

Re: Malahini from MD

Post by Sarnian » Sat Mar 16, 2019 8:24 pm

A little bit of staining.....
Attachments
5C6F66FE-3DE2-48C7-A1CD-B9F21F0FAA24.jpeg

footer

Post by footer » Mon Mar 18, 2019 3:29 am

I picked up an old trailer for $150. Nothing about it fit my boat. I had to cut off keel the rollers and the two short rotted bunks. It also had a tilting tongue which was really sloppy and I didn't like it, so I welded it it solid. I extended the frame 3' and moved the axle back 18". I installed new bunk brackets and 4 bunks with bunk carpet. I still have to install lights on it. I live on a lake, so I will probably only use my trailer to put the boat in in the spring and take it out in the fall and it stays right there. (There's a pic of my trailer in my post, "Malahini Chine Bending", page 3) if your interested.
Your boat is coming along great. I like the floor boards. Nicely done.

Sarnian

Post by Sarnian » Mon Apr 01, 2019 7:28 am

It seems like two steps forward and one back at this stage. I removed the sole sections, and the port and startboard platforms. I have now hit those and the frames and carlings with two coats of CPES and am about to start covering them with epoxy. I don't like this stage - I am pretty crap with painting/finish work - so laying down smooth layers of epoxy - not my strength.

At the same time I have dry fit the deck. It went pretty well. Minimal fairing so far (to be fair I did a bunch a month or two ago).

Have drilled and sealed the holes to run the fuel line and electric. I have not done the steering - I don't know which motor I'm going to get, so I haven't bought a steering kit yet, do I don't know quite how to run it, what size holes to still in the frames etc etc.

Have also worked on the electrical a little. Mounting the master switch and soldering up some 2ga battery cable.

Lastly I have resawn and planed done African mahogany down to 3/8 for the decking. I can say that was a monumental pain. Resawing 8" wide boards on a table saw, followed by cutting down the center using a sawsall...
Any way. Some progress I guess
Attachments
12421FF2-5492-47FB-A1EB-61D2DEABB4B7.jpeg
3DC8B112-048F-40EC-B8BB-8EE7449AD033.jpeg

footer

Post by footer » Tue Apr 02, 2019 6:40 am

For financial reasons, I went with the old school 65hp, 2 cycle engine and the steering cable goes through the engine mount (important when measuring).
From eBay, I got the 4:1, no feedback, steering. (3:1, faster steering response, but you will feel prop torque. 4:1 slower steering response, but you will not feel prop torque).
I found the optimal cable for this boat and engine linkage is 14'.
I used 1.25" forestner bit to run the cable through the frames.
I'll post a picture next week when I get back.
Just my 2 cents. :)

Sarnian

Post by Sarnian » Tue Apr 02, 2019 9:42 am

Thanks footer - pictures would be great! Particularly around where you make the right angles with the cable. I hear you about the engine. I need to find a good used one.... And perhaps get another job to pay for this

Return to “Power Boats”