Malahini from MD

Designs for inboard or outboard power

Moderator: BruceDow

Biss

Re: Malahini from MD

Post by Biss » Sun Apr 07, 2019 4:48 am

Looking great! Resawing wood is not fun. When I got my Mahogany I had the mill cut and plane my deck planks to size! It did cost alittle more, but I don't think I could have done it efficiently with the tools I have.

Quick question, were you able to cut the deck ply out of two sheets? I'm still trying to figure that one out...the only way I can make it work is how Bob Brandenstein showed on his blog.

Sarnian

Post by Sarnian » Sun Apr 07, 2019 5:27 pm

Hi Biss...no, couldn't figure that out - although true to course, I didn't spend a lot of time on it - just kind of barreled ahead. I ended up buying a third sheet and doing the aft in one section.

Sarnian

Post by Sarnian » Sun Apr 07, 2019 5:45 pm

So, this week was spent putting a couple of layers of epoxy on the dash, carlings, exposed frames, the three sole boards, and the transition box that sits between the sole and the sides of the boat. Went on fairly easily - I have been using some 'bargain' epoxy, mnrineguard 8000 - seems to work pretty well. The epoxy is very thick at colder temperatures, so I have taken to heating it up prior to mixing. It is still quite cool here in Maryland, so even with the garage heater on, we're only hitting ~50's-60s in the garage.
On the dash I have also put on three coats of Interlux Perfection Plus - I have to say, I'm not really getting a mirror finish, despite being uncharacteristically careful - my plan is to sand and have another go. I wanted to get the dash done because I figured I could then mount the dials, switches etc - and continue working on the wiring. I have been trying to get the majority of the wiring finished before starting on the deck. The deck is dry fit, and ready to fasten down, so it's pretty hard to resist the urge to glue it down.
In terms of wiring, I have the fuse and negative bus installed, and some of the wiring from fore to aft run. The mini ACR has vexed me a little - it means some alterations to the wiring diagram, but I think I have that figured out. I also installed a couple of platforms for the bilge pump and the float switch, and encapsulated those - so will mount those this week I think.
Anyway - thought I'd post a picture - not much to see - but I still find myself staring at it a bit....
Attachments
IMG_4583.HEIC.png

footer

Post by footer » Mon Apr 08, 2019 4:32 am

So, this is the picture of my steering cable. A 14' cable fit the best and to keep from bending it too hard, I took up the slack buy weaving it through the frames. It doesn't look like that will work with the way you have that box there. I drilled 1-1/4" holes for it to go through.
These cables are pretty stiff, but can take down to like a 8" radius turn if you have to. Mine are closer to 18"r.
I had to cut my rear slot longer as it has to go straight through the engine mount or you have to remove the engine if you ever need to remove the cable.
I'm going to be using Interlux for my finish. What did you use to apply it on yours?
Attachments
IMG_5712[1].JPG
IMG_5711[1].JPG
Steering cable

Sarnian

Post by Sarnian » Mon Apr 08, 2019 12:08 pm

Thanks Footer - this is really helpful, I am not looking forward to ordering the steering...so much $$$. The photos are great - plus they let me nose around your workshop, see what tools you have...I suspect we all do this!

I finished by brush - did a first coat thinned with ~25% 233N, followed by second coat unthinned - then light sanding, followed by a third coat. I am thinking about putting a decal on there - so may do that, then add a coat or two more. :shock:

footer

Post by footer » Wed Apr 10, 2019 4:21 am

I bought the Seastar Teleflex, No Feedback, 4.2 system from Ebay. Yes, it's a bit pricey, but when you get it you will see it's much more substantial than it looks in the pictures. The gearbox weighs probably 5 lbs by itself and the cable is quite stout.

Bill Edmundson

Post by Bill Edmundson » Wed Apr 10, 2019 5:53 am

I have the Bay Star with a 115hp Yamaha. Bay Star cost a little less.

Bill
Mini -Tug, KH Tahoe 19 & Bartender 24 - There can be no miracle recoveries without first screwing up.
Tahoe 19 Build

Sarnian

Post by Sarnian » Sat Apr 13, 2019 12:34 pm

When I built the dash I actually ended up building it out of two pieces of mahogany - and I could see the line where they were glued together...Tried this solution today to hide that line. Still not sure about it - - but was fun to do. I'm still not particularly good at putting the interlude perfection plus on - will do a couple or more coats over these decals.
Attachments
IMG_4584.jpg

footer

Post by footer » Mon Apr 15, 2019 3:09 am

Nice job on the lettering and good idea on the stripe. Looks nice.

Gayle Brantuk

Post by Gayle Brantuk » Mon Apr 15, 2019 9:47 am

I agree with footer--that looks really cool!

Sarnian

Post by Sarnian » Wed May 08, 2019 6:09 pm

so....sloooooow going but fun nevertheless. I think I have finished the wiring - or at least as much as I can do without the motor. I ended up quite enjoying the process. I had to make a modification to the wiring scheme I posted, because I added the mini ACR for automatically switching charging between the two batteries. I connected everything this weekend - and much to my amazing it all worked...horn (momentary switch), bilge (on/off), courtesy lights (on/off), nav/anchor (on/off/on). No one was more surprised than me. No doubt I will have spoken too soon and something will fail when I try to connect the motor - but, so far so good.

Not sure these pictures are useful - but I couldn't find too many wiring pics, so thought I would post them anyway. Even though the close up shows my drippy epoxy...
Attachments
IMG_4631.jpg
wiring at the back of the switches
IMG_4630.jpg
IMG_4628.jpg

footer

Post by footer » Fri May 10, 2019 3:11 am

Nice job on the wiring. I still have to do all that on mine, although I am only putting in one battery.

Sarnian

Post by Sarnian » Fri May 10, 2019 9:29 am

I've been poking around online - and of course as ever the recommendations are varied and often opposing. Here's the question: - I find that after two or three coats of epoxy, by brush, over stained wood, no cloth, the surface is shiny but slightly orange-peely. I can sand this down to remove a fair amount of the peel, but not all and I don't dare go any further, because I invariably hit the wood and take out the stain (I tend to swear at myself quite a lot when this happens). My intent is to go over this surface with interlux perfection plus. So my question is - how best to get a final smooth finish - these are the things I'm thinking of....

1. Do it right in the first place. :D
2. Just get it 'close' by sanding then cover with 3 coats of interlux and sand/buff as smooth as possible (still some peel showing when I've tried this)
3. Add another coat of epoxy? Perhaps squeegee or credit card smooth?, then hit with interlux
4. Anything else?

thoughts genuinely appreciated!

Sarnian

Post by Sarnian » Fri May 10, 2019 9:32 am

footer wrote:
Fri May 10, 2019 3:11 am
Nice job on the wiring. I still have to do all that on mine, although I am only putting in one battery.
Good luck - your build looks great! - you may be ahead of me on this - but just in case - I initially bought a bunch of electrical stuff from West...but it was incredibly expensive. I was able to get brand name stuff online cheaper. I also bought a pair of ratcheting crimps, - worth every penny.

footer

Post by footer » Fri May 10, 2019 10:43 am

Your just behind me with the finish. Here's what I've done. I put three coats of epoxy on as well and I went through the first coat sanding too. Like you , I was delicate with the wood I stained.
I am very happy with the Perfection plus. I used one of these little stubby, rubber handled, 2.5" wide, angle cut, brushes, I purchased at Home Depot. It leveled well, left no brush strokes, and filled in a lot of the orange peel from the epoxy, and my hand doesn't get fatigued with it.
So far, I have put two coats of the Interlux, one right on top of the other (without sanding if you do it within 24 hours). I am now going back and wet sanding with 400 grit to get out the crap that settled into the finish (my shop is really to dirty to be doing finish as all that dust gets into the air and settles right on the finish.
I will definitely do my last coat with that brush as well.

Return to “Power Boats”