Biss's Malahini Build

Designs for inboard or outboard power

Moderator: BruceDow

footer

Re: Biss's Malahini Build

Post by footer » Fri Jun 28, 2019 8:02 am

Transom bands look great. Those as well as the cut water, are real nice accents. I'll be working on mine soon.

DrBryanJ

Post by DrBryanJ » Fri Jun 28, 2019 8:38 am

Looks really nice. I like the transom bands. I also thought people had trouble getting insurance through Hagerty. I think many use State Farm.
Bryan

Building a malahini "Mona Lisa"

My wife said "If I build a boat, she's getting a divorce."

JimmY

Post by JimmY » Fri Jun 28, 2019 9:25 am

8) 8) 8) 8) 8)

Looking very nice!
-Jim
Nothing says poor craftsmanship like wrinkles in your duct tape!

Biss

Post by Biss » Fri Jun 28, 2019 3:18 pm

Thanks again, regarding the insurance, i just filled out their online quote form and they gave me a price. I still have to submit pictures. I'm assuming there won't be any hangups going forward, but I'll post if there are.

Biss

Post by Biss » Sat Jul 06, 2019 12:20 pm

Well, I have everything pretty much complete on the boat. Got it insured thru Hagerty. That was a breeze. No issues at all! Followed up with registration which was also a breeze!

Since the last post I cut the glass (lexan) polished the edges and installed. Also installed all the deck bling. Finished the swim platforms/bumpers and installed. Put the floorboards back in. Designed/cut the decals and installed. Hooked some water up and tested the motor, it fired right up and she purrs like a kitten! Oh, I also turned a flag pole out of some left over mahogany. It fits and locks into my all around light socket. Looks pretty cool.

Bought all the odds and ends required to comply with the state and federal regulations, so I think I'm ready to put the "Jamie Lou" in the water. I'm off a few days early next week so I plan launch Monday. Hopefully all the holiday traffic will have died down and it won't be too busy. Below are some pics.
20190706_125738.jpg
20190706_125618.jpg
20190705_161620.jpg

Biss

Post by Biss » Sat Jul 06, 2019 12:27 pm

Few more pics...

20190706_125823.jpg
20190706_125648.jpg
20190705_161551.jpg

Milhouse

Post by Milhouse » Sat Jul 06, 2019 2:06 pm

WOW!!! You made super fast work of this boat! Done in 1 year!!! is that a record here on the forum? Congratulations!

Your craftsmanship and attention to detail are amazing! The paint job, the bright work superb; all around beautiful.

I am eager to see the launch video!!!
Jim
16' Ski Boat Restoration
17' Overnighter Sloop

I'd rather have a $h!tty meal than an $h!tty resume because a totally awesome resume will feed me steak one day - Steve Poltz

PeterG

Post by PeterG » Sat Jul 06, 2019 7:49 pm

Very sharp, looks awesome! Inspiring, even!
Murphy's Law: Anything that can go wrong, will go wrong.
Griffin's Law: Murphy was an optimist.

DrBryanJ

Post by DrBryanJ » Sun Jul 07, 2019 3:29 am

Biss, she is beautiful. I can't believe you are done already! Have a blast on Monday.
Bryan

Building a malahini "Mona Lisa"

My wife said "If I build a boat, she's getting a divorce."

Hercdrvr

Post by Hercdrvr » Sun Jul 07, 2019 4:00 am

Beautiful Malahini, the paint job, decking, swim platforms, trim, etc. all looks great! Camden Arkansas sound like an easy drive to The Gathering in Tennessee this September. We would all enjoy seeing your boat.
Matt B

mrintense

Post by mrintense » Sun Jul 07, 2019 1:34 pm

Outstanding Biss!!

Really exceptional finish. It's amazing how quickly you got this done. I too am looking forward to seeing launch video. Next week should be a good time to go. Crowds should have subsided by then, although I suspect that whatever people are there will be crowding around your Malahini.
Carl
a.k.a. Clipper

Crafting a classically styled Vera Cruise

Clipper's Vera Cruise Build

footer

Post by footer » Sun Jul 07, 2019 4:41 pm

Wow, looks fantastic. How did you make your cut water?

Biss

Post by Biss » Sun Jul 07, 2019 6:28 pm

Thanks folks, I really appreciate the compliments. This has been quite the project. It is really satisfying doing something of this magnitude yourself. I'm really appreciative for all the examples, advice and suggestions that this forum provides. Getting really excited about launching it tomorrow!!

Footer, I fabricated the cutwater from ss sheet metal. Can't rember how thick... anyway made a template out of posterboard, cut out the pieces and tack welded them together (tig). I measured the angle at three places along the front to get the proper angles. It is a complex shape so you basically have to tack it every few inches to get it to conform to the proper curves. After tacking, I fit it to the boat, ie, bent it to the exact shape to fit. Welded it out and attempted polishing! I did not weld this myself, I had one of my welders at work stitch it up! I've tried to tig and am not very good! Anyway its not perfect, but did turn out pretty good in the end. Based on what you have already done with your windshield frame, etc., it shouldn't be any issue for you!

Sarnian

Post by Sarnian » Mon Jul 08, 2019 7:26 am

amazing! - just an incredibly beautiful boat, congratulations Biss - have a great first run.

Return to “Power Boats”