Biss's Malahini Build

Designs for inboard or outboard power

Moderator: BruceDow

Biss

Re: Biss's Malahini Build

Post by Biss » Mon Aug 26, 2019 5:37 pm

I went with the 13.25 x 17. My motor is the command thrust version, not sure which one you bought. I just used Mercurys prop selector on their webpage. I'm really happy with the performance with this setup. Good hole shot and tops out at 35mph wot (5900rpm).

footer

Post by footer » Tue Aug 27, 2019 3:17 am

Thanks for the info. i'll talk to the guy today. I got the standard engine. I had the marina install it and set it up. They put a four blade prop on it, but I don't know what size. I'm picking it up today. My old 65 had a three blade prop. He thought it was an 18p, but there were no numbers on it. The hole shot was good but it topped out at 30. Which is OK with me.
Thanks again. Happy boating.

Biss

Post by Biss » Sun Sep 01, 2019 5:52 am

Took my Mom and Pop out on the lake for a cruise this Friday. Good times!
20190830_151511~2.jpg
20190830_151517.jpg
20190830_151530.jpg

JimmY

Post by JimmY » Sun Sep 01, 2019 11:13 am

Almost as much fun as building the boat!
-Jim
Nothing says poor craftsmanship like wrinkles in your duct tape!

PeterG

Post by PeterG » Mon Sep 02, 2019 9:15 am

That is awesome! Great times.
Murphy's Law: Anything that can go wrong, will go wrong.
Griffin's Law: Murphy was an optimist.

footer

Post by footer » Tue Sep 03, 2019 4:03 am

Awesome. I wish I could take my parents. We've been giving several people around the lake for rides as they all want to go.
Happy boating :)

mrintense

Post by mrintense » Tue Sep 03, 2019 2:41 pm

This is too cool. Your parents look like they are enjoying it as much as you. Like footer, I wish I was able to share this with my parents.
Carl
a.k.a. Clipper

Crafting a classically styled Vera Cruise

Clipper's Vera Cruise Build

Biss

Post by Biss » Wed Sep 04, 2019 8:02 am

Thanks guys. Yes it is a real blessing to be able to share the boat with my mom and dad. They were both really impressed. My dad has actually designed and built a few wooden boats earlier in life. They were basically flat bottom fishing boats. Usually powered with a small 25-35hp outboard. I think he basically built them out of necessity and not as a labor of love! My dad is an electrician by trade but commercial fished the lower White River (Arkansas Co. AR) to supplement his income and better provide for our family when me and my brother were young. My parents are both in there seventies now and have been retired for some time. Looking back on my childhood, it was a great upbringing. Lots of outdoor activities (hunting, fishing, gardening, etc.), and I was allowed to do just about anything I thought I was big enough to do! Dad had a shop full of tools so I had lots of opportunities to tinker and build stuff. Great parents! Hope me and Jamie do as good a job raising our kids!

Biss

bstrong

Post by bstrong » Thu Sep 12, 2019 8:48 pm

That's Great!! Looks like fun!
I had a question for you since you mounted your motor yourself and I plan to do the same. I have the same motor except mine is a 2016, did you make a templet for the holes or just sit it on the boat and bolt it on? Also how did you lift it? I was going to get a lifting eye and rent a engine hoist or make one. Did you have to bolt it below the motor well? I am just trying to get the best approach to this. Thanks

Biss

Post by Biss » Fri Sep 13, 2019 5:48 am

I borrowed an engine hoist and placed the motor exactly where I wanted it, then market the two top holes. I actually hooked power to the motor so i could used the trim to adgust the angle of the mounting plate to the transom. Pulled the motor back and drilled the holes. When satisfied I hung the motor on top bolts and marked the bottom holes. Pulled motor back and drilled. Be sure to get it centered and the height correct. I used the center holes on the mounting plate so I would have adjustment room either direction. The command thrust engine sits alittle deeper in the water than the regular one, or it is on mine! I think the anticavitation plate is probably 1 to 2 in below bottom of the hull (I'll check when I'm back home). I used a straight edge (4ft level) along the bottom of the boat to measure this. Of course use some sort of waterproofing on the bolts/holes when you permanently mount it. I used the hardware that came with my motor, bolts, fender washers, and lock nuts. Top two bolts in the motor well, bottom two bolts below the well (bottom ones are fun to get to!) Oh, I also installed the steering cable as I was installing the motor. Looked like it would be near impossible to do after the motor was bolted up.
20190616_172442.jpg
20190618_174018.jpg
20190705_161611.jpg

Sarnian

Post by Sarnian » Fri Sep 13, 2019 7:16 am

Great info...exactly the questions I was going to ask. Thanks Biss

footer

Post by footer » Fri Sep 13, 2019 8:23 am

Local boat sales usually have a mounting plate they use to mount new engines. Maybe they will let you borrow it!?
The marina I bought my engine from, mounted it free of charge. So, I let them.

bstrong

Post by bstrong » Fri Sep 13, 2019 9:29 am

Great idea footer, I will ask around our local marinas. Great info Biss, I will also start looking for an engine hoist I can borrow or rent. I have been doing lots of sanding getting the hull ready for finish coats.

Return to “Power Boats”