The Fletchers Malahini

Designs for inboard or outboard power

Moderator: BruceDow

bstrong

The Fletchers Malahini

Post by bstrong » Wed Oct 31, 2018 5:32 pm

This will be our second build (first one was a bullet), since then I knew I had another one in me. I am looking forward to taking this journey, it is so satisfying to watch it come together :D . There will be many problems to figure out, and many mistakes to learn from, I already know from my first build that it will be building me along with the boat. I will update as I go along and will be leaning on the experience of my fellow builders on this forum.

First thing was to get a spot to build it, from experience I knew I want as much room as possible. So what do you do when your work shop is 15ft and your boat is 16ft, get out the saw.
Attachments
IMG_20180903_172036612.jpg
IMG_20180923_103746426.jpg
IMG_20180924_134935203.jpg

Bill Edmundson

Re: The Fletchers Malahini

Post by Bill Edmundson » Wed Oct 31, 2018 6:29 pm

Bstrong :lol:

Make a bigger hole :!: Good move!

Bill
Mini -Tug, KH Tahoe 19 & Bartender 24 - There can be no miracle recoveries without first screwing up.
Tahoe 19 Build

mrintense

Post by mrintense » Thu Nov 01, 2018 5:43 am

Wow, I certainly couldn't have done that in my neighborhood. HOA would have had a conniption fit. But having the extra room will be nice.

I struggled a lot earlier in my build because of the lack of fore and aft space for the boat. My garage is 21 foot and 5". My boat is 21 foot (not on a trailer). I managed without a movable build form, but had to get real creative at times. It would have been nice to have a bigger shop.

Even now, with the boat flipped and working on the interior, it's challenging at times because the boat also takes up more than half of the side to side space.

Good luck with your second build.
Carl
a.k.a. Clipper

Crafting a classically styled Vera Cruise

Clipper's Vera Cruise Build

PeterG

Post by PeterG » Thu Nov 01, 2018 6:27 am

I have a similar 12x16 shed for my workshop, definitely not enough for my Malahini build. If I were to show this to my wife, think she'll let me do it too? :lol: That would be a no. We agreed I can have her 12 x 20 garage next spring... Right now it's a large boat kit.
Good luck and keep us posted on your progress. Ask any and all questions you may have as this is the perfect place. Somebody either has an answer or knows who does. There are plenty of Malahini and Ski Tow projects to be found here and in the photo galleries for the visuals.
Post photos and most of all have fun :D
Murphy's Law: Anything that can go wrong, will go wrong.
Griffin's Law: Murphy was an optimist.

bstrong

Post by bstrong » Tue Nov 06, 2018 5:34 pm

So its been slow moving , work and life always seem to be in the way. I have been collecting items that will make the build more enjoyable. I found a scroll saw on a popular selling site for 20$, also from recommendations on the forum purchased a table drum/belt sander that I can already tell is going to be a favorite :D . I also made the building form mostly from wood I had laying around. By making the form first it gives me a nice table to cut and assemble the frames. Found a source for mahogany up the road about an hour so that will be the next step. :D
Attachments
image.jpg
IMG_20181106_191232605.jpg
IMG_20181106_191243961.jpg

footer

Post by footer » Thu Nov 08, 2018 5:54 am

One of the greatest tools I had for this job was an oscillating saw. I have a Dremel Oscillating saw and used it as much as anything. Cutting in notches for battens, chines, and sheers as well as many other cuts you just can't do with anything else.
Not saying you need all of these, but my list of tools I've used also includes: Router, palm sander, hand held belt sander, Compound miter saw, Circular saw, table saw, 13" plainer, Drill press, cordless drill, Hand held power plainer, 14" band saw, a table belt saw like you bought, and loads of hand and bar clamps. The clamps, you will definitely need to acquire many of.
Happy building

bstrong

Post by bstrong » Thu Nov 08, 2018 9:28 am

Yes there are still some tools that I would like to get, I am scouting yard sales and web sites for a power planer and router. :D :D

Hercdrvr

Post by Hercdrvr » Thu Nov 08, 2018 11:57 am

Oscillating saw is very handy for sure on all the knotches in the frames. My numero uno tool I can’t live without is a light weight belt sander with course 36 grit paper (Diablo is the best). Everything I need is right in front of me, the boat, the material and the tool to shape it. I would spend the money for a top dollar belt sander but my favorite is the $35 HF model. The high dollar models are to heavy to hold with 1 hand for extended periods.
Matt B

nybhh

Post by nybhh » Thu Nov 08, 2018 12:43 pm

Holy smokes! That's one way to create more space!
-Brandon

bstrong

Post by bstrong » Tue Nov 13, 2018 4:16 pm

I'm not sure how my job expects me to work 5 days a week and build a boat at the same time. If I get an hour or 2 before work its a good day. I picked up the Mahogany boards from SJ Lumbermans in south jersey, this place is so cool like what you would see in an episode of American Pickers. Its on a back road in Jersey Devil territory with lots of old barns and buildings, some of the saws were dated 1917. The owner was very helpful in picking out the boards, I highly recommend them. I went with 5/4 planed down to just over an inch, I will probobly use them for my marine plywood also. Been busy cutting and assembling frames, its also getting cold in the shop so I built a epoxy warming box out of some scrap wood, it will have a heating pad inside on low.
Attachments
IMG_20181106_182732400.jpg
IMG_20181031_150011137.jpg
image.jpg

Biss

Post by Biss » Tue Nov 13, 2018 5:11 pm

You are making great progress!

Hercdrvr

Post by Hercdrvr » Tue Nov 13, 2018 6:28 pm

Wait a minute, you went from cutting a hole the garage to all the frames in place in 3 weeks. You’ll have a boat by Easter at that pace.
Matt B

hoodman

Post by hoodman » Tue Nov 13, 2018 8:07 pm

Wow, that escalated quickly! Nice idea on the epoxy warmer.
Matt

Building a Geronimo......!
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=25139

bstrong

Post by bstrong » Wed Nov 14, 2018 10:02 am

Thanks for the comments but it is time-lapse photography lol. I started the hole in Sept. it took me about 3 weeks. I have been holding back the photos till I got the build started. :D

bstrong

Post by bstrong » Sat Nov 24, 2018 11:49 am

I have managed to get the keel in place, with the knee. The weather has not been good and there is no heat in my shop so it has slowed me down. I need to get more lumber for the battens, sheers and chines. From research here I am assuming the best way to go would be to laminate the sheers and chine to make the bend easier. Also I don't think I can get long enough lumber for the sheers so I was going to scarf joint them, should the joint be in the middle or as far back as I can make it? Hope everyone enjoyed their Thanksgiving, happy building. :D
Attachments
boat.jpg

Return to “Power Boats”