The Fletchers Malahini

Designs for inboard or outboard power

Moderator: BruceDow

Milhouse

Re: The Fletchers Malahini

Post by Milhouse » Sun Jan 06, 2019 10:20 am

Sounds good; I am eager to see your progress. What clamping method will you be using?

P.S. I love your shop addition. I have similar carport shop additions :D
Jim
16' Ski Boat Restoration
17' Overnighter Sloop

I'd rather have a $h!tty meal than an $h!tty resume because a totally awesome resume will feed me steak one day - Steve Poltz

PeterG

Post by PeterG » Sun Jan 06, 2019 10:34 am

Looking great! It seems the bottom plywood pieces at the bow always need a lot of coaxing to bend them into place, no matter what type of plywood you use. I find the hydrotek meranti plywood is particularly stiff, it's not as user friendly for planking as the kind you are using, or okoume. Fun part too is fitting the second piece especially where you have the joint on the stem where you have the transition from lap joint to butt joint.
Murphy's Law: Anything that can go wrong, will go wrong.
Griffin's Law: Murphy was an optimist.

hoodman

Post by hoodman » Sun Jan 06, 2019 2:44 pm

Looks great you sure are moving quickly!
Matt

Building a Geronimo......!
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=25139

bstrong

Post by bstrong » Tue Jan 29, 2019 4:07 pm

IMG_20190129_173538030.jpg
Not much to report, the weather has slowed me down. I have all the planking on and am working on filling and fairing. I have scrapped the veneering the sides idea after much research and consulting. I am now going to laminate the sides and transom with okoume plywood. This should be easier to clamp up.
I found a supplier that carries 5x10 sheets so I will only have to worry about 1 seam. It is about 3 hour drive and I will have to rig my 6ft pickup to carry it but should be no problem. I am taking a vacation to get out of this cold so will resume when I get back , hopefully spring starts early.
For those of you that have already glassed the bottom how much should I worry about every little nick and ding, will the glass and epoxy help fair it out? And I plan on adding a skeg and spray rail, if I am reading the instructions right these are installed after glassing. I assume that they will also be glassed.
Thanks to everyone for all the help I have been getting from your posts, I have been following everyone! Lots of talent here! :D

DrBryanJ

Post by DrBryanJ » Tue Jan 29, 2019 4:26 pm

It is amazing how many things still show through the fiberglass and epoxy. I faired most before glassing, but found areas that needed to be faired after, no biggie. As long as it is all faired before paint. Yes, skeg and spray rail after glass. These are more prone to damage and needing to be replaced. Much easier to do if not glassed in.
Bryan

Building a malahini "Mona Lisa"

My wife said "If I build a boat, she's getting a divorce."

bstrong

Post by bstrong » Tue Jan 29, 2019 7:51 pm

thank you! thought so about the spray rail. I will be painting the bottom to the water line so not worried about it showing through the glass, and I hope to apply the sides with no fasteners just glue then maybe stain and glass .

PeterG

Post by PeterG » Tue Jan 29, 2019 8:20 pm

Very sharp! Nicely done, here's hoping for that early spring.
Murphy's Law: Anything that can go wrong, will go wrong.
Griffin's Law: Murphy was an optimist.

footer

Post by footer » Fri Feb 01, 2019 4:39 am

From what I understand, it's most important to fair the bottom. It has to be flat with no dips. Dips cause drag and can even make your boat to not able to plane.
I used "silver Tip, Quickfair" It's like bondo but a little tougher. I bought a piece of 1.5"x1.5"x8' square aluminum tubing and used it to screed the Quickfair level across the bottom (I have a picture of it finished in my old post, Malahini chine bending)(it's the pinkish stuff). Then you fiberglass over top of it.
As far as paying attentions to the little stuff, I've found that getting things right to begin with really makes it easier later on.
I fiber glassed first, then installed my skeg and lower spray rail. I did fiberglass over them after with a roll of 3" fiberglass tape I bought Amazon (but that's just me). The tape works great because it's hemmed and doesn't fray on the edges.
When fiber glassing your bottom and sides, check out "Biss's Malahini build". He shows some excellent pictures of a neat system of taping the edges and cutting it clean. Wish I had done that!
Looking good and Happy Building.

bstrong

Post by bstrong » Sat Feb 02, 2019 11:33 pm

TY :D

bstrong

Post by bstrong » Mon Apr 15, 2019 7:23 am

Yes I'm still here, after weeks of building in my head and trying to figure out what to cover the sides with I settled on ribbon saple in planks. I figured this would be the easiest to clamp on and give me the look that I'm after. In checking my fairing I noticed spots that needed to be corrected, especially where my butt joint was near frame 1, this area was so far off it needed multiple coats of fairing. Been watching everyone's progress on here and am really impressed. I hope this stage goes alright and ends well, I am taking my time and applying 1 board at a time, fingers crossed. I am having trouble submitting a photo so when I have more time will do.
IMG_20190415_094220874.jpg

bstrong

Post by bstrong » Wed May 01, 2019 4:16 pm

FB_IMG_1556751679012.jpg
Almost finished with the planking, fiberglass was delivered ,4oz for the brightwork, 6oz on the bottom. Can't wait to get this part of the build finished.

Hercdrvr

Post by Hercdrvr » Wed May 01, 2019 5:10 pm

Very nice work fitting the planks to the hull, not an easy job.
Matt B

footer

Post by footer » Fri May 03, 2019 3:03 am

It's looking good. I wanted to do that to mine, but I have to admit I was just a little too impatient to put that much time into it. That's going to be beautiful and your going to be real happy you invested the time.

bstrong

Post by bstrong » Fri May 10, 2019 5:19 pm

IMG_20190510_104317742.jpg
IMG_20190510_110133715.jpg
IMG_20190510_155324789.jpg
We finished glassing one side, will try and get to the other side tomorrow if the rain holds back.

DrBryanJ

Post by DrBryanJ » Sat May 11, 2019 4:06 am

Looks good. I like the grain.
Bryan

Building a malahini "Mona Lisa"

My wife said "If I build a boat, she's getting a divorce."

Return to “Power Boats”