MI Malahini Build, Post Flip.

Designs for inboard or outboard power

Moderator: BruceDow

footer

Re: MI Malahini Build, Post Flip.

Post by footer » Thu Aug 01, 2019 3:58 am

Time for first sea trials testing. Well, got her in and she floated well, but had engine problems. Seems to be fuel issues. Acts like it starts starving for fuel.
Attachments
IMG_7099[1].JPG
First launching. Sea trials test.
IMG_7112[2].JPG
IMG_7119[1].JPG
First launching. Sea Trials test.

neel thompson

Post by neel thompson » Thu Aug 01, 2019 5:21 am

Is your fuel tank vented properly? I have had similar issues in the past where the fix was to vent the tank. This seems basic, but it could be your problem.

Bill Edmundson

Post by Bill Edmundson » Thu Aug 01, 2019 7:22 am

I had the vent problem also on the Bartender. New engine shut down completely. I have 2 tanks. It ran great off the first tank. Then I switched. It ran about 3 miles and stopped. I was towed in. The next day was hotter. I notice the vents had a hole for an Allen wrench. While building I had totally close one vent. When I opened it, a puff of fumes made it obvious that was the problem.

Neel is right. Check the vents first. Down here dirt daubers are a common problem. They are apt to stop up any hole.

Bill
Mini -Tug, KH Tahoe 19 & Bartender 24 - There can be no miracle recoveries without first screwing up.
Tahoe 19 Build

footer

Post by footer » Thu Aug 01, 2019 11:27 am

Thanks guys. I had thought about the vent so just to be sure, I opened the fuel cap. No change. I'm going to blow that vent line out. I have a couple other things to check like my pump ball and my connectors for debris restricting flow as well as making sure all connections are tight.

hoodman

Post by hoodman » Thu Aug 01, 2019 5:20 pm

Engine issues aside you got your first splash! Congrats, the boat looks great!
Matt

Building a Geronimo......!
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=25139

Bill Edmundson

Post by Bill Edmundson » Thu Aug 01, 2019 7:03 pm

Old fuel filters can do this, too.

Bill
Mini -Tug, KH Tahoe 19 & Bartender 24 - There can be no miracle recoveries without first screwing up.
Tahoe 19 Build

PeterG

Post by PeterG » Thu Aug 01, 2019 8:31 pm

Watch for restrictions in your fuel lines, check they are not affected by the gas. Some lines will soften and delaminate with today's gas. I'm sure the guy who redid your motor test ran it and adjusted the carbs but double check with him? The carbs are adjusted with the engine in gear, idling, tweak idle mix for best RPM and give them an eighth turn richer. Your engine has two fuel pumps on the starboard side of the crankcase, check the lines are routed properly per the manual.
If you think the engine is running lean, don't run it too much as the engine may not be getting enough lubrication and may score cylinders.
This should be an easy thing to sort out, good luck and let us know what you find.
Murphy's Law: Anything that can go wrong, will go wrong.
Griffin's Law: Murphy was an optimist.

PeterG

Post by PeterG » Thu Aug 01, 2019 8:36 pm

What a great looking boat! Congratulations!
Watch for restrictions in your fuel lines, check they are not affected by the gas. Some lines will soften and delaminate with today's gas. I'm sure the guy who redid your motor test ran it and adjusted the carbs but double check with him? The carbs are adjusted with the engine in gear, idling, tweak idle mix for best RPM and give them an eighth turn richer. Your engine has two fuel pumps on the starboard side of the crankcase, check the lines are routed properly per the manual.
If you think the engine is running lean, don't run it too much as the engine may not be getting enough lubrication and may score cylinders.
This should be an easy thing to sort out, good luck and let us know what you find.

mrintense

Post by mrintense » Fri Aug 02, 2019 2:54 am

Ah, the happy face of contentment is apparent in that photo. Beautiful job on the Malahini. I'm sure you'll sort out the engine issue. Congratulations on the launch and sea trial. This is something I look forward to.
Carl
a.k.a. Clipper

Crafting a classically styled Vera Cruise

Clipper's Vera Cruise Build

Biss

Post by Biss » Fri Aug 02, 2019 5:23 am

Congratulations! Boat looks great in the water! Hopfully you will be able to chase down this little gremlin and get to enjoying you new boat.

footer

Post by footer » Tue Aug 06, 2019 3:40 am

Well, I got this engine running, for a minute. now it has other issues. really frustrated with the old school crap. If I could have bought new, I would not consider an old engine, even built by someone that knows old engines. We have been having fun just driving it though. Haven't gotten it running well enough to pull anybody yet.
I did get it up to 30mph. I am curious. It rides really hard and does not like waves at all. Hit's them hard. I live on an all sports lake and have lots of wake boats leaving big waves, so I have to keep slowing down for them. So, I am curious as to how well does this hull take the beating over time?
Attachments
IMG_7180[1].JPG
Sunday morning calm ride.
IMG_7187[1].JPG
My wife loving it.

Hercdrvr

Post by Hercdrvr » Tue Aug 06, 2019 4:41 am

A Comfortable ride in a Malahini ends at about anything bigger than light chop. Nothing you can do about that except build another boat with more deadrise.
About your cool looking old retro engine, yep, been there and fought the loosing battle. They suck and are only good as wall hangers. It takes so much time, money and effort to get our boat on the water that the cost of a reliable engine is worth every penny. I found a livable compromise for my Malahini between reliability, power and cost with a 90hp Yamaha oil injected 2 stroke.
Beautiful boat you've built and good luck with the engine.
Matt B

JimmY

Post by JimmY » Tue Aug 06, 2019 5:32 am

Hi Footer,

Sorry you are still having issues with your Mercury. Try hooking up with the AOMCI forum, I'm sure someone there has seen the problems you are having. There are several outboard meets in Michigan, so maybe you can have someone take a closer look at it. Travis on this forum is a Mercury guy and may have some suggestions.

You have a classic boat and that classic motor looks great on it. These old motors just need air, spark, and gas, so it has got to be one of those things.

P.S. it can not happen soon enough for this wakeboat fad to die. There are 3 or 4 on my lake and if any of them are out it is absolutely no fun to be out there for anyone. Even if you are just floating you get tossed around like you are on "Deadliest Catch".
-Jim
Nothing says poor craftsmanship like wrinkles in your duct tape!

footer

Post by footer » Tue Aug 06, 2019 6:35 am

I do love the old school look and get tons of compliments on it, but I would much rather have it run good. Maybe next year I can aquire a newer four stroke.
Overall, I love this boat. I posted a video on the Glen-l FB page. I love the look of the body style and how it slides great through smooth water. With four people in it, it tends to porpoise a bit across waves.
Just a couple of pics from the neighbors of us driving it.
Attachments
IMG_7206[1].JPG
IMG_7207[1].JPG
IMG_7209[1].JPG

PeterG

Post by PeterG » Tue Aug 06, 2019 6:29 pm

What's the engine doing? I might be able to help, I have the 1965 version of your engine. I got it purring beautifully after I went through it with a cleaning and a tune-up. Mine has the old style magneto ignition with points which can be a bother to set the gap properly. Typically the finicky parts are the carbs and ignition. Meaning the carbs adjusted for a good idle in gear and the ignition/carb sync is set properly (When you open the throttle, it first advances the distributor to a certain point and then the carbs start to open up). It's all in the Mercury shop manual.

Return to “Power Boats”