Question about Instrument clusters

Designs for inboard or outboard power

Moderator: BruceDow

footer

Question about Instrument clusters

Post by footer » Thu Dec 13, 2018 6:39 am

So, I have been looking online for instrument clusters to put in my Malahini. There are so many to choose from. What are the important factors that i need to consider? Initially, due to finances, I may end up putting on an old 60's Mercury on it, but ultimately, I want to put a new 60 hp Merc on it.
Do I need different gauges for these different engines?

PeterG

Re: Question about Instrument clusters

Post by PeterG » Thu Dec 13, 2018 8:55 am

Short quick answer: It depends :D
Really, it boils down to what you would like to have. Many have just the minimum panel like the 1960's boats had which was usually a starter button, key switch and an electric choke button (look at OMC outboard accessories), maybe a switch for running lights. Others want all kinds of fun stuff like the old Chris Craft or Century inboards, which sported speedometers, fuel gauges, oil pressure, water temperature and tachometers. For a vintage outboard like a Mercury with the Mercontrol controls, a dash panel could have a speedometer, a tachometer, a fuel gauge if you have a built-in tank. The Mercontrol will have the choke button and ignition/starter switch, and the connector for the tachometer.
Basically, though, you put what you want.
Murphy's Law: Anything that can go wrong, will go wrong.
Griffin's Law: Murphy was an optimist.

hoodman

Re: Question about Instrument clusters

Post by hoodman » Thu Dec 13, 2018 9:04 am

I like having a tach, trim gauge, and fuel gauge. You may want more for an older engine so you can monitor volts, temps, etc...
Matt

Building a Geronimo......!
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=25139

Return to “Power Boats”