Zip Floor

Designs for inboard or outboard power

Moderator: BruceDow

jthurber

Zip Floor

Post by jthurber »

I am just past the Zip flip and studying the plans for next steps. On considering the floor, it appears to me that if I follow the frame height, laying the floor even with frames 2, 4, and 5 1/2, the floor will be going uphill toward the bow. Was this a drainage consideration for solid flooring? Am I looking at this wrong?

sproggy

Re: Zip Floor

Post by sproggy »

I will fit my floor with the top surface flush with the top of frames 2 and 4. Frame 5 1/2 is higher than that, as you observe. I will keep the floor flat to 5 1/2 and let the frame protrude above it. The design is to do with structural considerations, not drainage.

jthurber

Post by jthurber »

Flat but not really level, right? Since frame 4 was notched into the setup/building frame...

sproggy

Post by sproggy »

Yes, I realised that after I'd replied. But level is the way to go to my mind - who wants a sloping floor? Frame 4 will likely be under the front seats or bridge deck depending upon the layout you choose (I can't remember off-hand) so having it higher than the floor won't be a big deal.

sproggy

Post by sproggy »

In my defense.... whatever. I know frame 4 is the dash frame on a regular Zip. So the base member of the frame is under the front seat passengers' knees or perhaps slightly further forward. If you sloped the floors up to it you would either raise the seats higher than would be ideal or you'd have less space for seat construction.

jthurber

Post by jthurber »

All excellent points. The plans seem to show the front cockpit floor level with frame four and blocked up accordingly at frame two. The rear floor is shown lower. I also want my front seat to be as low as possible so I’ll likely do what you suggest and leave frame four sticking up above the floor. Thanks for your replies!

Roberta

Post by Roberta »

Your feet will extend beyond frame 4. I didn't put flooring beyond that. Rather just placed removeable carpet on the bottom for my feet. I recommend putting the seat frames on sub floor planks athwart ship to keep seat height lower. Zips have very little free board and will make you feel a little high in the saddle. I also made removable floor grates that naturally drained water into the bilge.

Roberta
Roberta "Queen of the Boat Builders"
Built Zip "Oliver IV", Super Spartan "Jimmy 70", and Torpedo "The Glen L".

jthurber

Post by jthurber »

Thanks Roberta! Did the top of your floor end up lower than frame 4 then? Is it a nuisance to have a bit of the frame sticking up?

Roberta

Post by Roberta »

My flooring was fully removable as were the seats. I used spreaders to support the seat bases and floor grids. a blocking ledge was attached to the aft of frame 4 to support the grids. Plywood ledges were made to support the seat bottoms and blind nuts were attached to the bottoms to allow the seat bases to be bolted in. Floor grids were made from scrap pieces of mahogany. Here are some pics of the spreaders and other seat supports and the grids.

The floor grids are just set in place with the frame or blocking keeping them in place. The flooring and seats were removable to be able to get to the sole of the boat for any possible future repairs in the bilge area or other work. The grids are about an inch below the top of the frame 4 bottom member. Stepping into the boat is done by stepping the seat cushions and then the floor. I put a foot rest bar in front of frame 4 and no additional flooring, just the carpet mentioned earlier.

Roberta
Attachments
sole spreaders 003.JPG
sole spreaders 001.JPG
interior 001.JPG
Final cockpit details 007.JPG
floor grids 008.JPG
floor grids 003.JPG

Roberta

Post by Roberta »

Pictures of the seat construction.

Roberta
Attachments
interior cutwater 002.JPG
interior cutwater 003.JPG
interior cutwater 001.JPG
wiring complete 009.JPG
interior wires 015.JPG
interior wires 014.JPG

Roberta

Post by Roberta »

Hear is what you can aspire to if you wish.

Roberta :D
Attachments
redo done 007.JPG
Madison Boat Show 077.JPG

jthurber

Post by jthurber »

Great information and pictures! Do you have a link to your build pictures? Thank you for sharing!

gdcarpenter

Post by gdcarpenter »

I opted to run my floor slats side to side. I used 3 floor battens per side and attached vertical strong backs on top of the battens. My floor slats rested on those strong backs. With roughly 6" between battens I could use 5/16" thick floor slats. This made the top of the floor about 3 1/2" below the top of the dash bottom frame member in the center, and where the floor slats met the hull they rested on the chine.

Compared to extra sub framing and thicker floor boards required for a 'conventional' floor this let me significantly reduce the finished weight of my ZIP. It also let me set my seats lower so that I actually sat down in my ZIP. The slats also let the bottom of the boat 'breathe. If you look for 'live' shots of ZIPs you will see how most folks are sitting high up.
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
This is my first, last and only boat build.

http://www.gdzipbuild.blogspot.com

jthurber

Post by jthurber »

I like that idea, thanks! I am fairly tall and would like to be sitting lower. This looks like a good solution!

Bill Edmundson

Post by Bill Edmundson »

The cabin sole for the Tahoe is on top of the engine stringers. It seems very shallow. I lowered the sole 2" between the stringers. It makes a much more comfortable position and the cockpit feel much larger.

Roberta, I had not notice the 2 cat food dishes in the back of your Zip before.

Bill
Mini -Tug, KH Tahoe 19 & Bartender 24 - There can be no miracle recoveries without first screwing up.
Tahoe 19 Build

Return to “Power Boats”