Zip Floor

Designs for inboard or outboard power

Moderator: BruceDow

Roberta

Re: Zip Floor

Post by Roberta »

I had to plug up the hole in the bottom of one 'cause the water kept draining out into the bilge. I was thinking if I ever sold it to a cat herder, it would be all set.

Roberta :lol: :lol: :lol:
Roberta "Queen of the Boat Builders"
Built Zip "Oliver IV", Super Spartan "Jimmy 70", and Torpedo "The Glen L".

BarnacleMike

Post by BarnacleMike »

I've had the privilege of riding in both GDCarpenter's Zip (which has the Frame 4 bottom member higher than the floor) and Vupilot's Zip, which had the "inclining" floor boards that were even with the tops of the floor members of Frame 2 and 4.

It was no big deal to sit with my feet past the Frame 4 floor member in GDCarpenter's zip. His arrangement did get the seats quite low.

As for the "inclined" floor, you'll never know it's not flat. It's simply not noticeable in the finished boat. Vupilot built his seats at an angle, with the back reclining and the seat raised at the front... much like a sports car. This, combined with a pretty low seat base, allowed for plenty of leg room with the seats relatively low. It was quite comfortable.

An additional note on the floor: give some thought as to how you plan to build the seat bases. I very much liked the bucket seats in GDCarpenter's boat, but the way they were anchored to the floor made for some pretty rough bumps. Vupilot's seat bases were built on top of the sole floor boards, allowing for a little more "spring." We went through some mild chop, and it was still a comfortable ride.

They're both superb boats, and both are certainly worth studying as you move forward.
Last edited by BarnacleMike on Mon Dec 17, 2018 3:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"How long does it take to build a boat? Until it's finished" — yours truly
Why did the boatbuilder get a divorce? Because he didn't have enough clamps to hold his marriage together!

BarnacleMike

Post by BarnacleMike »

"How long does it take to build a boat? Until it's finished" — yours truly
Why did the boatbuilder get a divorce? Because he didn't have enough clamps to hold his marriage together!

Andy Garrett

Post by Andy Garrett »

My flooring is 3/4" marine ply custom cut for the front and rear between the members where one might stand right in front of the seats.
Like Roberta, I put no floor ahead of frame 4.
I like the feel the water slapping the hull under my feet knowing that 1/4" is all there is there.
Andy Garrett

Perhaps the slowest Zip build in Glen-L history...

jthurber

Post by jthurber »

Sounds good Andy! Did you put the fuel tank near the stern then or build a platform for it near the bow?

jthurber

Post by jthurber »

Thanks Mike! Good information. I wonder if more cushioning in the bucket seats would help the ride...

Andy Garrett

Post by Andy Garrett »

My fuel tank is a 13 gallon Moeller up under the bow for better weight distribution.

However, the fuel line is too long for the fuel pump so I recommend putting it elsewhere. Perhaps it would have been better to place the battery up front.
Andy Garrett

Perhaps the slowest Zip build in Glen-L history...

gdcarpenter

Post by gdcarpenter »

In terms of full disclosure my 'bucket' seats on my ZIP were not soft because they were pretty cheap seats. Years later I replaced them with better seats and he ride was much better. You get what you pay for!
This is my first, last and only boat build.

http://www.gdzipbuild.blogspot.com

Return to “Power Boats”