Crackerbox Build

Designs for inboard or outboard power

Moderator: BruceDow

gf87

Crackerbox Build

Post by gf87 » Sat Jan 05, 2019 9:56 am

Hello Everyone,
I'm getting ready to order the Glen L crackerbox plans. For all of you that have built one, what is the average cost to build one? I'd like to build it on a budget. It will be completely painted, so I'm hoping I can save some money on wood there. What species of wood is recommended? and is Hot dipped galvanized hardware acceptable or should I spring for the silicone bronze? I have Mercruiser 302 I plan on using in the project! Thanks!

Milhouse

Re: Crackerbox Build

Post by Milhouse » Sat Jan 05, 2019 2:15 pm

The crackerbox is a great looking boat! I am eager to follow your progress.

Have you bought the Glen-L boatbuilding with plywood book (you should :D )? - See chapter 6 page 41. He says Hot dipped galvanized is OK if you will be trailering your boat.

I personally would use silicon bronze, they are great screws and are not that expensive in the scheme of things.
Jim
16' Ski Boat Restoration
17' Overnighter Sloop

I'd rather have a $h!tty meal than an $h!tty resume because a totally awesome resume will feed me steak one day - Steve Poltz

Ibrew2be

Post by Ibrew2be » Sat Jan 05, 2019 7:22 pm

gf:
Over the past 3 years, I've looked at several different designs as possibilities for my next build, one of those being the Crackerbox. As I have gone through my decision making process, one of the factors I've looked at is estimated cost to build. To help me with that, I compiled an Excel file where I tried to list as many of the needed components as possible that would go into the build. This includes everything shown on the Bill of Materials for the particular build, fiberglass, epoxy, fasteners, deck hardware, varnish, paint, wood and so on.

The spreadsheet is set up based on how I imagined I might do the build. But it does represent a starting point that you could use to prepare your own estimate for the approach you want to use. If you are interested, send me a private message, and I'll send the file on to you.

Barry
Barry Shantz

Imp built and launched. Thinking hard about Boat 2.0

Bill Edmundson

Post by Bill Edmundson » Sun Jan 06, 2019 8:19 am

I also have my spreadsheet from building the Tahoe, finished in 2008. It has materials that you may not have thought of. PM me, anyone, with your e-mail.

Bill
Mini -Tug, KH Tahoe 19 & Bartender 24 - There can be no miracle recoveries without first screwing up.
Tahoe 19 Build

hoodman

Post by hoodman » Sun Jan 06, 2019 3:22 pm

I honestly don't think I've ever seen hot dipped galvanized wood screws. At least not the #8s and #10s common in a boat this size. You could save some using galvanized for the carriage bolts but even using Si Bronze hardware throughout will be a relatively small percentage of the total build.

The crackerbox is probably one of the cheaper and easier inboards to build.
Matt

Building a Geronimo......!
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=25139

gf87

Post by gf87 » Tue Jan 08, 2019 4:20 pm

Thank you all for your input! I'm unable to send private messages just yet because I am a new member. I like the spreadsheet idea, Seems like a logical approach to budgeting. Anyone willing to send their sheet over I'd love to take a look. I read on another topic that some people have been building boats with epoxy glue and removing the screws after the glue dries. Would that be suitable for a boat like this?

Bill Edmundson

Post by Bill Edmundson » Tue Jan 08, 2019 4:38 pm

gf87

You now have PM. Send me your e-mail address.

Bill
Mini -Tug, KH Tahoe 19 & Bartender 24 - There can be no miracle recoveries without first screwing up.
Tahoe 19 Build

GregHall

Post by GregHall » Tue Feb 12, 2019 9:38 am

The Crackerbox is the second of the two designs I was considering building. I chose the Barrelback so I'll be following along with you to vicariously experience it while I build mine!
Building a Barrelback in Rome, Ga.
Never fly with anyone braver than you.
Never run out of airspeed, altitude and ideas at the same time.
www.youtube.com/c/austringercreations

Return to “Power Boats”