Somerset, KY Gentry

Designs for inboard or outboard power

Moderator: BruceDow

mrintense

Re: Somerset, KY Gentry

Post by mrintense »

CarlM wrote:
Thu Aug 15, 2019 1:26 pm
Thanks Neel and Bill!! I think I will go ahead and add some in there just in case I need the support or as Bill said to screw into. You guys and this forum as a whole are best I couldn't imagine doing this without the help!!!!......Carl
This is the secret sauce of Glen L builds and I think it explains why so many of these boats actually get finished. :D :D :D
Carl

Crafting a classically styled Vera Cruise

Clipper Boating

CarlM

Post by CarlM »

It seems I am consistently horrible at making updates on my progress. I am happily chugging along on the build. The frames were completely faired. Two layers of 1/4" plywood was installed and faired. The final layer of 1/8" mahogany was installed. I ran out of mahogany so I used leftover plywood for the bottom which will be painted. The plywood was 1/4" so it had to be planed down close to 1/8". I then ran it through the drum sander to get it to exact thickness. I was quite impressed with the quality of the plywood. The surfaced side had to be marked so I wouldn't confuse it with the factory side.
I still have not acquired the motor. I believe I will try to find a used boat as a donor. I will get a 350 or a 351, with that knowledge can I still drill the shaft hole? Can the shaft diameter be determined? Any input would be appreciated greatly........Thanks...........Carl
Attachments
20190903_180339.jpg
Resized_20191011_203411.jpeg
20200113_123558.jpg

neel thompson

Post by neel thompson »

Carl.... I used a 1" shaft on my Gentry and it was coupled to a small block 350 cu.in. motor. Of course, the shaft hole will need to be drilled somewhat larger than 1". Most drill the hole large enough to put a fiberglass tube in it and allowing for some clearance around the shaft inside the tube. Hope that helps.
Neel

CarlM

Post by CarlM »

Thanks Neel I appreciate your input. I wonder if that 1" shaft will also work with a 351. I am assuming it will with a possible alteration to the transmission. But I am still a little unsure.

monitor

Post by monitor »

Carl. Come by and take a look at my engine/prop shaft layout. It will help to see it in person.
I think you will need to make a scale drawing and template of the engine you expect to use. Combined with the info the plans give you, will get you close enough that changing the shaft length will let you fine tune the installation....my 2 cents, for what it's worth.
Your boat it looking good!
Jim Kinsella

DrBryanJ

Post by DrBryanJ »

Carl: Glad I could help. Your gentry is looking sweet. Maybe when we are all finished, Jim with his barrelback, you and I can meet at one of the great lakes in Kentucky with our boats.
Bryan

Building a malahini "Mona Lisa"

My wife said "If I build a boat, she's getting a divorce."
We're still happily married, but now she just wants "the dam boat out of the garage."

CarlM

Post by CarlM »

Thanks Jim I will give you a call soon and set it up. I think looking at your setup will help a lot.

Dr.B that sounds like a good idea , a little regional meet up if you will.

Bill Edmundson

Post by Bill Edmundson »

On shaft diameter the limiting factor is prop diameter. The 1" shaft will take up to a 13" dia. I know, maybe 14". Without going to a custom prop, about the most you can go is 4000 shaft rpm on a 12" prop. Max rpm goes down as dia. goes up.

This all works with engine rpm, gear ratio, prop dia., and prop. pitch.

Bill
Mini -Tug, KH Tahoe 19 & Bartender 24 - There can be no miracle recoveries without first screwing up.
Tahoe 19 Build

monitor

Post by monitor »

I'm in Brian!
Jim Kinsella

CarlM

Post by CarlM »

Thanks Bill. I believe I have read you say that once before. My current concern is whether the 1" or 1 1/8" prop shaft diameter will be interchangeable with either engine setup as far as the actual mounting to the engine/ transmission. If that makes any sense. I believe I should be using the 1" diameter but I don't want this decision to bite me later.

Bill Edmundson

Post by Bill Edmundson »

One thing. You want the prop to be a little less than 1 shaft diameter from prop to strut. Just ask Neel! Shaft dia. matches with the prop. not the engine.

Bill
Mini -Tug, KH Tahoe 19 & Bartender 24 - There can be no miracle recoveries without first screwing up.
Tahoe 19 Build

CarlM

Post by CarlM »

I read about that little nightmare. I'm doing my best to learn from the group's issues and mishaps.

monitor

Post by monitor »

Carl. The shaft hubs that connect to the tranny hubs are the same on my 1-1/8" shaft ford setup and the 1" shaft chevy setup. Interchangable.
Jim Kinsella

CarlM

Post by CarlM »

Thanks Jim that was exactly what I was trying to figure out. I think I was about to go blind trying to research that. I still want to make the trip up to see your masterpiece in progress.

Sarnian

Post by Sarnian »

Carl - you've made amazing progress in such a short time. Looking great! I'm really intrigued by building a boat with an inboard - seems to add a whole other level.

Return to “Power Boats”