Somerset, KY Gentry

Designs for inboard or outboard power

Moderator: BruceDow

CarlM

Re: Somerset, KY Gentry

Post by CarlM » Sun Jul 21, 2019 7:25 pm

Thanks Matt and Carl. I have been making woodworking mistakes for years no need to stop now. I'm hard headed and my wife says I'm a bull in a China shop.
Carl

Gayle Brantuk

Post by Gayle Brantuk » Mon Jul 22, 2019 11:02 am

Carl, your Gentry is coming along nicely! Thank you for posting your progress--it's really fun to follow. You probably know that the Raptor tools and fastenings are available in our online store: https://www.boatdesigns.com/Raptorreg-F ... ducts/926/

CarlM

Post by CarlM » Mon Jul 22, 2019 1:54 pm

Thank you Gayle. I plan on ordering one from you shortly. I just haven't gotten around to yet. I am enjoying the process though.

monitor

Post by monitor » Tue Aug 13, 2019 5:20 pm

Great looking Gentry build Carl! Thanks for allowing us to visit and view your boatworks and other woodworking builds.
Jim Kinsella

CarlM

Post by CarlM » Tue Aug 13, 2019 5:26 pm

It was a pleasure having you guys over. It was nice talking shop with you both. I'm looking forward to coming up to Louisville to see your barrelback next month.

CarlM

Post by CarlM » Wed Aug 14, 2019 3:36 pm

Ok everyone i have a question regarding limbers. I have cut all the limbers running longitudinally on the outboard side. Where are limbers required running port to starboard ( athwartship ?) ? I have seen them by the transom on others threads but what about near the frames. Tganks.......Carl

hoodman

Post by hoodman » Wed Aug 14, 2019 4:40 pm

I did them at the transom. I haven't seen anyone do them across the battens anywhere else.
Matt

Building a Geronimo......!
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=25139

Rich Coey

Post by Rich Coey » Wed Aug 14, 2019 4:57 pm

At the lowest point when the boat is sitting still.

neel thompson

Post by neel thompson » Thu Aug 15, 2019 3:18 am

Carl... The lowest point in my Gentry is directly under the seat in the forward cockpit, or about 12 inches forward of the motor. I put cross limbers at the transom because I was planning to keep the boat on a trailer. If you plan on keeping the boat in the water, put them at the lowest point. Before I cut the cross limbers, I beefed up the top of each batten over the limbers with a six inch long piece of 3/4" mahogany. In the picture, you can see the beefed up battens at the transom before the limbers were cut in.
Attachments
304.JPG

CarlM

Post by CarlM » Thu Aug 15, 2019 5:02 am

Thank you Matt, Rich and Neel. Exactly what I needed to know. I like the idea of beefing it up because it seemed like it would be a weak spot. Thanks again I appreciate the input...... ...Carl

CarlM

Post by CarlM » Thu Aug 15, 2019 7:43 am

Neel,
In the photo you posted showing the beefed up area I can see some plywood in the body of the transom. What was the purpose behind that? I am assuming it is for the eventual support of the exhaust. Is this something you would advise me to do as well? Thanks.....Carl

neel thompson

Post by neel thompson » Thu Aug 15, 2019 12:39 pm

Honestly Carl, I can't remember what the purpose was. I do remember being concerned about the strength of the transom where the exhaust goes through. The plywood was probably an overkill on my part. I always build things stronger than they need to be !!

neel thompson

Post by neel thompson » Thu Aug 15, 2019 12:45 pm

I am sure it was to provide strength for the exhaust. Here is picture from the inside. You can see the plywood pieces where the exhaust holes will go along with the beefed up battens over the limbers.
Attachments
004 (3).JPG

Bill Edmundson

Post by Bill Edmundson » Thu Aug 15, 2019 1:07 pm

I put some extra thickness at the exhaust port on the Tahoe in order to have enough thickness to put the trumpet mounting screws in.

Bill
Mini -Tug, KH Tahoe 19 & Bartender 24 - There can be no miracle recoveries without first screwing up.
Tahoe 19 Build

CarlM

Post by CarlM » Thu Aug 15, 2019 1:26 pm

Thanks Neel and Bill!! I think I will go ahead and add some in there just in case I need the support or as Bill said to screw into. You guys and this forum as a whole are best I couldn't imagine doing this without the help!!!!......Carl

Return to “Power Boats”