Lee's Monaco utility build

Designs for inboard or outboard power

Moderator: BruceDow

Milhouse

Re: Lee's Monaco utility build

Post by Milhouse »

I agree with Tom, no need to encapulate before you epoxy the planks together.

I think your plan was under-kill with more cost and work.

I also do not like CPES.
Last edited by Milhouse on Sun Jul 12, 2020 1:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jim
16' Ski Boat Restoration
17' Overnighter Sloop

I'd rather have a $h!tty meal than an $h!tty resume because a totally awesome resume will feed me steak one day - Steve Poltz

Bill Edmundson

Post by Bill Edmundson »

I think CPES is a waste of time and money. West Systems experiments show that yes it penetrates. But, it doesn't deliver any epoxy.

Bill
Mini -Tug, KH Tahoe 19 & Bartender 24 - There can be no miracle recoveries without first screwing up.
Tahoe 19 Build

denbrlr

Post by denbrlr »

Thank you for the comments guys. I will wet the planking piece to be attached with System Three SilverTip encapsulating epoxy (thinner) and apply Poxy Grip epoxy (thicker) on the surface where the planking piece will be attached.

Any issues with using System Three SilverTip for the wetting along with using Poxy Grip? Please let me know. Thank you.

Lee

Milhouse

Post by Milhouse »

Not sure why one would use two different types of epoxy. I always use one type (West System). You could just add thickener as needed.
Jim
16' Ski Boat Restoration
17' Overnighter Sloop

I'd rather have a $h!tty meal than an $h!tty resume because a totally awesome resume will feed me steak one day - Steve Poltz

denbrlr

Post by denbrlr »

Milhouse,

You are right, I guess that doesn't make sense. The reason I was thinking about doing that was because I just bought some SilverTip thinking I was going to be encapsulating the first layer of planking before starting on the second layer. However, now I am not going to do that. I also already planned on using Poxy Grip. I better save the SilverTip for encapsulating and glassing and get some Poxy Shield. I could use it for wetting the second layer planking pieces and then thicken it as needed to put on the surface where the pieces will be attached.

Lee

Milhouse

Post by Milhouse »

Lee,

I can't speak intelligently about the Poxy products. I'm sure they are great, I just never tried them. I don't know how thick the Poxy-Grip is.
When ever I laminated I just used thickened epoxy ( i spread it on with a toothed spreader). Are you allowed to thicken poxy-grip? If so I would think you can just wet it with neat poxy-grip and then apply thickened poxy-grip as Tom mentioned to prevent starvation.
Jim
16' Ski Boat Restoration
17' Overnighter Sloop

Bill Edmundson

Post by Bill Edmundson »

No need to thicken PoxyGrip it is already very thick.

Bill
Mini -Tug, KH Tahoe 19 & Bartender 24 - There can be no miracle recoveries without first screwing up.
Tahoe 19 Build

denbrlr

Post by denbrlr »

Yes, PoxyGrip is very thick and no need to thicken it.

I have eight of the roughly 32 first layer planking pieces done on the starboard side.

Lee
Attachments
IMG_20200713_192910.JPG

mrintense

Post by mrintense »

I've used Poxy Shield for years as the structural adhesive, thickened with silica. I'm using it to help Glen L Marine. But for encapsulation I switched to Silvertip Epoxy because of it's longer pot life and non blushing finish. It is also completely clear rather than yellowish.
Carl

Crafting a classically styled Vera Cruise

Clipper Boating

denbrlr

Post by denbrlr »

Thank you for the information Carl.

Lee

denbrlr

Post by denbrlr »

I am getting close to finishing the first layer of planking on the starboard side. I crawled under the boat to double check my center line measurements using the keel as a reference and I got a good look of the inside of the boat. That was kind of cool to see. A little nugget of inspiration that helps keep me motivated :)

Lee

mrintense

Post by mrintense »

denbrlr wrote:
Tue Jul 21, 2020 8:19 pm
I am getting close to finishing the first layer of planking on the starboard side. I crawled under the boat to double check my center line measurements using the keel as a reference and I got a good look of the inside of the boat. That was kind of cool to see. A little nugget of inspiration that helps keep me motivated :)

Lee
I know what you mean Lee, I used to do that regularly when my boat was upside down. I especially liked it after the skins were on. Of course I like it even more now, but only because I can finally start seeing the light at the end of the tunnel! :D

Keep on plugging away Lee. It will seem like never ending at times but it is so rewarding. Find little things like looking at the boat from underneath and visiting boat building sites on the web and You Tube. All of this helps to keep you going. Of course once its safe to do so, go to some boat shows as well.
Carl

Crafting a classically styled Vera Cruise

Clipper Boating

denbrlr

Post by denbrlr »

Thanks Carl. I know I will get there :)

Lee

denbrlr

Post by denbrlr »

The Monaco plans call for a stem cap to be made by flattening the stem after planking and then using laminations of vaneer. The stem cap is then faired to a radius as shown on the drawing or to suit. The stem cap is supposed to extend to about frame 7 which is the second frame from the bow. I guess I didn't notice stem caps being made with all of the Monaco and Riviera (and others) pictures and posts I have seen. I have seen one or two on other boat designs but maybe I missed most of them. Have all of you builders made wooden stem caps and I just missed it :oops: ? Please let me know. Thank you.

Lee

neel thompson

Post by neel thompson »

I used a stem cap on my Gentry and plan on using one on the PB as well. It really kind of finishes things off at the bow. If you plan on a cutwater, I don't see the need for it. After stain and varnish, you won't even know it's there.

Return to “Power Boats”