Lee's Monaco utility build

Designs for inboard or outboard power

Moderator: BruceDow

denbrlr

Re: Lee's Monaco utility build

Post by denbrlr »

Roberta, I don't think he makes them anymore :( I am a long time from needing one so we will see.

My strut came with bearings for a one inch shaft but now I am planning to use a 1 1/8 inch shaft. My strut supports a 1 1/8 inch shaft if I swap the bearings. I tried to get the bearings out and I can't. I stripped one of the set screws but the other one came out but the bearing is stuck. I tried spraying WD-40 and tapping it from the inside with no luck. I could cut them out but I would rather not do that. I thought of trying to heat the strut and see if that helps loosen the bearing. Any ideas?

Lee
YouTube channel: Boat Builder Lee
Monaco build YouTube playlist: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCP4Edb ... /playlists

Jimbob

Post by Jimbob »

I would clamp the strut in a vice, heat it with a torch, and pound the bearing out from the inside. What do you have to lose? You are going to destroy the bearing anyway.
If that doesn't work take a hacksaw and make a relief cut on the inside of the bearing then pound out.
Have fun!

Jim
Jim Neeley
Building a Barrelback in Sacramento, CA
viewtopic.php?f=15&t=28089#p172969

denbrlr

Post by denbrlr »

Jim,

Making a relief cut is what I probably will have to do. Fun, fun :)

Lee
Monaco build YouTube playlist: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCP4Edb ... /playlists

Thomas H

Post by Thomas H »

Hi Lee,

I had the same issue with the used strut that I bought. I ended up putting it in my workshop press, putting some pressure on the bearing while tapping the strut with a small hammer. A bit scary when it comes loose, but worked fine for me.

Thomas

Roberta

Post by Roberta »

No way getting those things out without damaging them. I put one in by tapping it with a hammer. Wrong. Wrecked the edge. I used a hacksaw to cut a relief in it to collapse it into the bore.

Use a piece of 1/2" threaded rod, two nuts, and two heavy duty washers and make a driver to slowly crank them in. Also, use two pieces of bearing about two inches long, placing one piece in each end of the bore. The bearings are not used full length. They are cut in half.

Roberta
Roberta "Queen of the Boat Builders"
Built Zip "Oliver IV", Super Spartan "Jimmy 70", and Torpedo "The Glen L".

denbrlr

Post by denbrlr »

Thomas, the joys of removing bearings :)

Roberta, when I put new ones in, I will probably do what you did with a threaded rod. Thank you.

Lee

denbrlr

Post by denbrlr »

I made a mockup of my rudder and strut setup. I did this to check the position of things, to practice drilling the hole for the rudder, and to practice routing pockets for the rudder and strut. I made a router template using a piece of 18mm ply.

Lee
Attachments
IMG_20210531_180106.JPG
IMG_20210531_181115.JPG
IMG_20210531_172417.JPG

Roberta

Post by Roberta »

Great idea! Now you can ensure you get everything located correctly. Bravo.

Roberta :D

neel thompson

Post by neel thompson »

You've got this Lee !! Nice. Looking at the picture, it makes me think we should have a contest to see who can cram the most stuff on the bottom of their hulls. It certainly makes a great shelf...
Attachments
20201206_135844.jpg

denbrlr

Post by denbrlr »

Neel, I usually try to keep things clean but lately things have been piling on up that large shelf :)

Roberta, Thank you. I hope this helps me get things right and I need all the help I can get :)

I am wondering about how far my prop will be in relation to the rudder. I stretched the hull a little and if I keep the rudder near the back of the boat, it seems too far away from where the prop will be. I would like to move it closer to the prop. Is is okay to have the back of the rudder a few inches from the back/transom edge of the bottom?

Lee

Roberta

Post by Roberta »

Remember your prop hub will be 1" or less from the strut. You need enough room for a puller. Make sure the prop is sufficiently far from the rudder and can be pulled from the prop shaft with out interference with the rudder. Make a mock prop shaft to help determine if everything works out. As far as moving the rudder port forward, I would assume moving it forward the same percentage as the stretch would be appropriate. Measure the distance from a standard installation and add the percentage of the distance. I think it would only be fractions of an inch, though.

Roberta

denbrlr

Post by denbrlr »

Roberta, Thank you.

The Monaco plans call out the location of the prop shaft hole location. However, they don't call out the CG location of the motor. Pictures of where I think this should be are shown below. The second picture has a strange symbol (where I am pointing) that looks like it could be some sort of center of balance symbol but it is below frame 4 so that doesn't make sense. Any ideas what that symbol is?

Also, the plans say that plansheet 3 (first picture below) shows where to locate the motor and that the motor should be positioned as far aft as possible. I guess I will try to keep the motor as far back as possible working with the known prop shaft hole location and strut angle. Any thoughts on this since the CG of the motor is not specified?

Please let me know. Thank you.

Lee
Attachments
IMG_20210602_074349.JPG
IMG_20210602_074156.JPG

Ibrew2be

Post by Ibrew2be »

Lee,

You had me intrigued. It took a bit of digging to find a reference, but that symbol shown beneath station 4 is the symbol for the midships perpendicular. It's defined as "a vertical line intersecting the ship's centerline, half the distance between the forward perpendicular and the aft perpendicular." Follow the link and scroll down about a quarter of the way, and you'll see the definition along with the symbol.

https://marinenotes.blogspot.com/2012/0 ... ffect.html

Barry
Barry Shantz

Imp built and launched.

Slowly building Ken Bassett's Rascal

kens

Post by kens »

denbrlr wrote:
Tue Jun 01, 2021 5:50 am
Neel, I usually try to keep things clean but lately things have been piling on up that large shelf :)

Roberta, Thank you. I hope this helps me get things right and I need all the help I can get :)

I am wondering about how far my prop will be in relation to the rudder. I stretched the hull a little and if I keep the rudder near the back of the boat, it seems too far away from where the prop will be. I would like to move it closer to the prop. Is is okay to have the back of the rudder a few inches from the back/transom edge of the bottom?

Lee
you dont move the rudder forward if you stretched,,,you move the rest of the driveline aft to meet the rudder.
Notice it says engine as aft as possible, that means leaving the rudder in place and moving the engine a bit aft.
also, if engine CB was a really critical number on this build, the designer would have given you a number on the plans.
an aft CG is OK, the thing that is a big no-no is a forward CG.
the other alternative is a flatter shaft angle the moves engine/rudder farther apart
Oak..........the juice ain't worth the squeeze :D :shock: :o :)

denbrlr

Post by denbrlr »

Barry, thank you for the info. Now it makes sense why it was near frame four :)

Ken, that was the info I needed so thank you. I wasn't sure if I should move the drivetrain to meet the rudder or not since the plans only call out the location of where the prop shaft intersects the bottom relative to frame two. I will mock up (and update my computer model) moving things back and see where the shaft intersects the bottom. It will probably be 1-2 inches closer to the transom than what the plans call for. I know I could adjust the angle of my strut a little to tweak it but I will see how it looks first. I also will keep the engine as aft as reasonable possible.

Lee

Return to “Power Boats”