Lee's Monaco utility build

Designs for inboard or outboard power

Moderator: BruceDow

denbrlr

Re: Lee's Monaco utility build

Post by denbrlr » Mon Jul 08, 2019 7:56 pm

The transom is getting there. It is ready for epoxy. Also making progress on the stem.

Lee
Attachments
IMG_20190703_163100.JPG
IMG_20190708_211348.JPG

denbrlr

Post by denbrlr » Thu Jul 25, 2019 8:36 pm

The frames, transom, stem and breasthook are ready for encapsulation :) I started having an encapsulation party and my epoxy setup after only one frame :? I am even using slow hardener. My garage is warm so that contributed to the epoxy setup I'm sure. The mahogany sure looks pretty with a simple coat of epoxy - the classic "pop".

I will be working on the motor stringers and the building frame soon. Progress has slowed during the summer and work sure gets in the way... :)
Attachments
IMG_20190725_210739.JPG
IMG_20190725_210727.JPG
IMG_20190725_212051.JPG

JimmY

Post by JimmY » Fri Jul 26, 2019 9:34 am

Hi Lee,

Your frames are looking great. If you had problems with your epoxy setting up too quick, did you have it in a deep cup or bucket? Is so, this will trap the heat generated by the epoxy curing and will speed up the cure (thermal runaway). Try pouring the mixed epoxy into a shallow pan (like a paint tray) that is sitting in another tray of ice and water. This should give you more working time. Also you refrigerate the epoxy before mixing and mix it inside to help keep it cool.
-Jim
Nothing says poor craftsmanship like wrinkles in your duct tape!

denbrlr

Post by denbrlr » Fri Jul 26, 2019 2:07 pm

Jim,

Thank you. Yes, I mixed eight ounces in a plastic cup and mixed it in my warm garage. It has been about nine years since I worked with encapsulating epoxy and forgot some of these tips :oops: I definitely had thermal runaway because it melted the plastic cup. :oops: I was planning to try using a small roller from a paint tray so things would move along faster. It sounds like this will also help give me more working time. Thank you for the tips :)

Lee

JimmY

Post by JimmY » Fri Jul 26, 2019 4:39 pm

Hi Lee,

We all have senior moments! :oops:

I used, at the recommendation of others here, the small "hot dog" foam rollers from the big box stores. They are pretty stiff, white foam about 5" or 6" and 1 to 1.5" in diameter. They lay down a nice coating of epoxy, just avoid moving too quick as that will "whip up" the epoxy and put a lot of air bubbles in it. In this case, less is more.
-Jim
Nothing says poor craftsmanship like wrinkles in your duct tape!

mrintense

Post by mrintense » Sat Jul 27, 2019 6:43 am

denbrlr wrote:
Fri Jul 26, 2019 2:07 pm
Thank you. Yes, I mixed eight ounces in a plastic cup and mixed it in my warm garage. It has been about nine years since I worked with encapsulating epoxy and forgot some of these tips I definitely had thermal runaway because it melted the plastic cup.
I know this only too well. Out here in Austin, the summer days force me to get up early to do large epoxy jobs. Smaller ones I can get away with during the day. Just this morning had to laminate 8 strips together for another roof beam. Sun was already beating down at 7:30 and epoxy was starting to stiffen up.
Carl
a.k.a. Clipper

Crafting a classically styled Vera Cruise

Clipper's Vera Cruise Build

denbrlr

Post by denbrlr » Tue Jul 30, 2019 8:37 pm

Well, I am embarrassed to admit this but...I mixed the first coat of encapsulation epoxy in the wrong ratio and had way too much hardener :oops: I'm sure that contributed to the epoxy setting up too soon. I am a goober... Fortunately, the epoxy cured.

The encapsulation is done (two coats) on one side of all of the frames. The second coat went much better. Coming up on the frame completion milestone :)
Attachments
IMG_20190730_203524.JPG
IMG_20190730_203510.JPG

footer

Post by footer » Wed Jul 31, 2019 6:14 am

Always mix your epoxy in a graduated cup to ensure the proper 2-1 ratio. It's not only because of the cure time, but because there is only exactly enough of each part. Any more or less of either, will leave you with left over wasted product. I too always pour mine right into a roller pan, even if I'm not rolling, using my stir stick to get every bit of it out of the cup.
I've done the leave it the cup and have it start smoking because it got so hot thing. The stuff is too expensive to waste. I try not to mix any more than 16 ounces at a time. Slow cure is great for larger areas, but I like the fast cure too, but mix that in smaller doses.
Myself, I prefer the 4" microfiber rollers. but that's just me. I saved pudding cups and measured water in them and drew lines on them for exact measure when i needed to mix small amounts of epoxy. No guess work there either.
I also use those really cheap 2" yellow brushes for putting it on in places where a roller won't get and where having hairs in it won't show or matter (they shed like an old dog), but they are cheap and disposable and get the job done (and you'll go through a lot of brushes).

neel thompson

Post by neel thompson » Wed Jul 31, 2019 6:32 am

I have found that the 2" brushes from HF don't shed much at all if you cut half of the bristles off with scissors and then pull on the bristles to remove most or all of the loose ones. The epoxy spreads better also with the shorter bristles.

Bill Edmundson

Post by Bill Edmundson » Wed Jul 31, 2019 6:38 am

Hardeners are mostly solvents to aid in mixing. The real hardener is only 5-10%. If you just had that small an amount, it would be difficult to be sure it's well mixed. Yes, if you put to much it will hot pot on you and go off. But, it will have little affect on the final epoxy.

Bill
Mini -Tug, KH Tahoe 19 & Bartender 24 - There can be no miracle recoveries without first screwing up.
Tahoe 19 Build

denbrlr

Post by denbrlr » Wed Jul 31, 2019 8:02 pm

Thank you for the tips. I did use four inch rollers and it worked well. I do try not to mix too much at a time.

In regards to the epoxy mixing, I do have a system to get accurate ratios. The problem is I used a 2:1 ratio (epoxy to hardener) but the encapsulating epoxy I am using is the glen-l poxy shield which calls for a 5:1 ratio :oops: For some reason I was thinking it needed 2:1 :oops:

Lee

Milhouse

Post by Milhouse » Sun Aug 11, 2019 8:52 am

Do the west system pumps work in the glen l epoxy cans?

I love the west system pumps, east fast and accurate.
Jim
16' Ski Boat Restoration
17' Overnighter Sloop

I'd rather have a $h!tty meal than an $h!tty resume because a totally awesome resume will feed me steak one day - Steve Poltz

mrintense

Post by mrintense » Sun Aug 11, 2019 9:02 am

I would suggest that the cost of the pumps from Glen L would be a small expense and would insure that the mix ratio is correct. An alternative that I use is weighing the amounts using a digital scale. Be aware however when using this approach that mix ratios may be different when measuring by weight versus measuring by volume.
Carl
a.k.a. Clipper

Crafting a classically styled Vera Cruise

Clipper's Vera Cruise Build

denbrlr

Post by denbrlr » Sun Aug 11, 2019 8:11 pm

I use plastic disposal cups to mix and a sharpie marker. For example if I want eight ounces of epoxy/hardener that uses a 1:1 ratio, I measure four ounces of water, pour in the cup, and draw a fill line with a sharpie. Next I measure four more ounces of water, pour in the cup, and draw a second fill line with a sharpie. After I pour out the water and dry the cup, I pour in epoxy to the first line, pour in hardener to the second line. and stir. Works for me.

Lee

Mark-NJ

Post by Mark-NJ » Mon Aug 12, 2019 2:02 pm

I did the "water & sharpie" thing for a while, then I found these:

Couldn't be easier!

Buy them here: https://www.bettymills.com/drinking-cup ... /sl-02068a

Return to “Power Boats”