kutter1's TNT

Designs for inboard or outboard power

Moderator: BruceDow

Kutter1

kutter1's TNT

Post by Kutter1 » Mon Jun 24, 2019 6:23 pm

I am trying to get my TNT registered and titled in PA and they are putting me through a lot. They want me to have my TNT to have a Marine Vessel Survey and Stability test in accordance with the USCG Standards. I thought I could avoid crap like that building a Glen-L design boat. I did not need to do that with the wood strip canoe I built 3 years ago. And I have a 6 HP Suzuki 4 stroke engine I have on its 20" wide transom.

Gayle Brantuk

Re: kutter1's TNT

Post by Gayle Brantuk » Tue Jun 25, 2019 3:38 pm

Kutter1,

I'm so sorry to hear that. Unfortunately, each state has their own rules and some seem to be stricter than others. It doesn't have anything to do with the design, by the way. Here in California, we get our HIN numbers from the DMV and it's quite simple and no need to see the boat.

Tom J

Post by Tom J » Wed Jun 26, 2019 3:48 am

Hello, I would be interested in hearing about your Pennsylvania boat registration and inspection process. I'm in Pittsburgh and am building the Malahini with a 60 hp motor. With the boat about half done, I haven't started the title or registration process yet but will need to start that soon. Tom J
Tom J
currently building the Malahini

footer

Post by footer » Wed Jun 26, 2019 4:53 am

I just went through this yesterday, but I live in Michigan. Here, I had to go to the secretary of state with the following;
I had to fill out a form with a description of how , when, and where, it was built. The physical size of the boat and the type of power plant (inboard/outboard).
Most important, I had to submit ALL MY RECEIPTS (they want to know if taxes were paid on all the materials that went into it).
Out of that, I got my registration number and sticker.
For $5 more, I also got it titled. Here they give you a VIN number (on paper) and It's up to you to make a plate and put it on the boat.

DrBryanJ

Post by DrBryanJ » Wed Jun 26, 2019 6:12 am

I would reach out to Neel Thompson. He lives in PA and has a gentry that he built. I believe it is registered in PA. See what he had to do. Maybe you need to go outside of Pittsburgh area. Sometimes it is just which bureaucrat you are dealing with.
Bryan

Building a malahini "Mona Lisa"

My wife said "If I build a boat, she's getting a divorce."

Return to “Power Boats”