Help with picking my first boat build

Designs for inboard or outboard power

Moderator: BruceDow

Paul F

Help with picking my first boat build

Post by Paul F » Tue Jun 25, 2019 2:04 pm

Hi,
I'm thinking of building my first boat probably more as a project than for a lot of use as I'm a complete novice with diddly squat experience of boating. I'd like to build something along the lines of the Malahini but my wife would prefer something with protection from the elements. We are in Ireland after all. I've purchased the study plans for the the Vera Cruise and can just about fit it in my garage.
However, I would like to build a boat that is economical to run. I'm not a real speed merchant but I don't want a sluggish boat.
I have an immediate 2 part question but no doubt there are many more questions to follow:
What size engine would the Vera Cruise require to perform and what would the fuel consumption be per hour when hauling two adults at a reasonable speed?

As to what is reasonable I'll have to leave that to you guys who have experience in these matters :roll: .

Many thanks in advance.

Paul

Gayle Brantuk

Re: Help with picking my first boat build

Post by Gayle Brantuk » Tue Jun 25, 2019 2:51 pm

Paul,

The Vera Cruise minimum horsepower would be 35 which would yield about 13 knots. You should have received a speed chart in the study plans that will give other speeds at various hp. As for fuel consumption, there's an online tool for this: http://www.boat-fuel-economy.com/.

Another thought--you could get a bimini for the Malahini for protection from the elements. But, happy wife, happy life :)

Paul F

Post by Paul F » Tue Jun 25, 2019 3:12 pm

Hi Gayle,
many thanks for your quick response.
Sorry I overlooked the speed chart in the study plans.
The fuel consumption tool is very handy, I suppose something like a 55Hp would give a reasonable speed at an economical cost?

Regards and thanks again,
Paul

footer

Post by footer » Wed Jun 26, 2019 5:23 am

So I am curious. Where would you be boating? Inland lakes or or out in the ocean. If the latter, something like an old C.G. Petterrsson design might be more appropriate.

Paul F

Post by Paul F » Wed Jun 26, 2019 8:06 am

Hi Footer,
well that's the question! I'm not sure where I'll be using it. I would like to take it around the coast of Ireland but not too far out. I'd also like to take it on inland lakes.
Excuse my ignorance but what's different about the Petterrson designs?

Gayle Brantuk

Post by Gayle Brantuk » Wed Jun 26, 2019 9:40 am

I'm not familiar with Mr. Pettersson's designs, but hopefully, there's something in the Glen-L catalog that will suit your needs since that's what this Forum is about :) !

footer

Post by footer » Wed Jun 26, 2019 11:25 am

You'll have to google him! :) C.G. Pettersson, was a world class Swedish wooden boat designer and builder in the early 1900's. Because he was Swedish, his designs were mostly for traveling through oceanic bays. He built everything from small launch's to luxury wooden Yachts. I don't believe you can get plans for his boats as they are mostly in museums, but many of his boats are still in use and highly sought after today.
I only referenced him because of his vast knowledge and experience with oceanic travel and design, may steer you in the right direction for the right design of a boat from Glen-l.
Sorry, but putting a Malahini out on the ocean could be catastrophic because of the low freeboard and planing hull design. I live near Lake Michigan and my Malahini will never see it.

Return to “Power Boats”