Kill Switches

Designs for inboard or outboard power

Moderator: BruceDow

Milhouse

Kill Switches

Post by Milhouse » Sun Aug 04, 2019 7:57 pm

Jamie's harrowing story got me thinking about installing a kill switch to stop the engine if the driver goes overboard. I thought the lanyard type was the only option but then I ran across this wireless one. Has anyone used one? Thoughts?

It says you can pair 4 receivers to it so you get an alarm if someone falls over other than the driver and if the driver goes over it stops the motor. There is an override button so if there is another person on-board they can go pickup the driver.

Pros:
  • Might save a life
  • More likely to be used than the lanyard
  • Can alert to other overboard conditions than just the driver
Cons:
  • Expensive
  • More things to break
  • Have to mount another largeish thing
Attachments
wireless.jpg
Fell Marine MOB+ Wireless Kill Switch
lanyard.jpg
Traditional Lanyard Kill Switch
Jim
16' Ski Boat Restoration
17' Overnighter Sloop

I'd rather have a $h!tty meal than an $h!tty resume because a totally awesome resume will feed me steak one day - Steve Poltz

Roberta

Re: Kill Switches

Post by Roberta » Mon Aug 05, 2019 5:01 am

My Seastar helm came equipped with a deadman kill switch that uses a lanyard attached to the driver. It also has an integrated neutral safety switch to prevent starts in gear. So if you are still building and haven't purchased the helm control, consider one with these features.

Mine also has a safety button on the handle that prevents the throttle from being moved accidently and a shift release button that allows you to advance the throttle and not engage the transmission. Seastar CH1700.

Roberta
Attachments
Wiring 008.JPG
Roberta "Queen of the Boat Builders"
Built Zip "Oliver IV", Super Spartan "Jimmy 70", and Torpedo "The Glen L".

CarlM

Post by CarlM » Mon Aug 05, 2019 8:18 am

Thanks for the info Roberta! I will keep it in mind when I get to that point.

hoodman

Post by hoodman » Mon Aug 05, 2019 8:00 pm

I like that wireless kill switch especially since I never use the lanyard. I would be more likely to use the wireless one.
Matt

Building a Geronimo......!
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=25139

psychobilly

Post by psychobilly » Tue Aug 06, 2019 3:22 am

This came up on a fishing forum I hang out in. Looks like congress is passing a law, if not already passed.

I wear my kill switch every time I’m in my bay boat but I have never worn the lanyard in the ski boat. I like the faub idea but 200 bux ain’t cheap.

https://chesapeakebaymagazine.com/congr ... quirement/
7D6AF5DA-1A6E-4DB4-99F9-0EB32FCD2841.jpeg

Milhouse

Post by Milhouse » Wed Aug 07, 2019 8:15 pm

psychobilly wrote:
Tue Aug 06, 2019 3:22 am
Looks like congress is passing a law, if not already passed.
Wow - good to know

I found confirmation here

Another article which discusses some of the tragedies of not using one.

I just ordered the fob! I will post back observations (when the boat is on the water so it may be awhile!)
Jim
16' Ski Boat Restoration
17' Overnighter Sloop

I'd rather have a $h!tty meal than an $h!tty resume because a totally awesome resume will feed me steak one day - Steve Poltz

Milhouse

Post by Milhouse » Wed Aug 07, 2019 8:17 pm

hoodman wrote:
Mon Aug 05, 2019 8:00 pm
I like that wireless kill switch especially since I never use the lanyard. I would be more likely to use the wireless one.
Matt are you going to get one? I think its handy that you can alarm on the other fabs falling over as well.
Jim
16' Ski Boat Restoration
17' Overnighter Sloop

hoodman

Post by hoodman » Wed Aug 07, 2019 8:41 pm

I'm not sure. I think the simplest solution for me would be to switch to the PWC style lanyard that has the wrist strap. Often when I'm in the boat I am not wearing anything that I could clip the lanyard onto.
Matt

Building a Geronimo......!
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=25139

psychobilly

Post by psychobilly » Thu Aug 08, 2019 5:29 pm

Well my particular type of Bay Boat hull is know for “swapping ends” due to its butcher knife bow and almost flat stern bottom with a tunnel. There was a Texas Game Warden that was severely chopped up by one years ago as it slung him from the boat when it swapped ends.

I also worked on a huge tow boat as a young man. One day I witnessed a wild man in a bass boat haul’n boogie. As he passed us his boat hit our wake and chunked him out. He WAS wearing the lanyard and the boat stopped as designed, and he lived to tell the story. Just a little sore.

I’m just scared of the wireless one. Battery dies on that thing you could be stranded. The lanyard is fool proof almost.

Heck, get it and give us all a report on how good it works.

Here’s some more reading on swapping ends if you’re interested. Note that the boat that they tested was not the same hull as mine but similar.

http://www.propellersafety.com/11976/re ... i-gorzell/

Milhouse

Post by Milhouse » Thu Aug 08, 2019 9:12 pm

psychobilly wrote:
Thu Aug 08, 2019 5:29 pm

I’m just scared of the wireless one. Battery dies on that thing you could be stranded. The lanyard is fool proof almost.
Wow crazy stories!

There is an manual override button on the receiver so if the fob goes out you can get it started again. Also useful if the driver goes over so the crew can start it back up and get thr driver. Edit it can be restarted 6 seconds after a MOB (man overboard) event without pressing the override button. Also there is a emergency jumper so if the unit fries one can unplug it and install a bypass plug to get it operational again...(just dont drive fast after this 😀 as there is no more kill switch feature).

The hub indicates low fob batteries 15 hrs before they die as well.

Im probably more likely to wear the fob but I get your points. Also it takes like 30 ft for it to know you left the boat so some tradeoff there as well the lanyard will cut it off immediately. Edit...the fob stops immediatly once submerged in 4 inches of water or after 30 ft dry or after the fob button is pressed.

Seems like they thought of it all. The instructions are pretty good. I got it delivered today from amazon after ordering last night...wow

I like the alarm feature for other passengers going over...
Jim
16' Ski Boat Restoration
17' Overnighter Sloop

psychobilly

Post by psychobilly » Fri Aug 09, 2019 2:23 am

I’m looking forward to your reviews on it. Please post pics of the unit and faubs.

mrintense

Post by mrintense » Sun Aug 11, 2019 9:23 am

Interesting discussion. I too would like to hear more about this. I had planned on a safety lanyard but I am open to other ideas.
Carl
a.k.a. Clipper

Crafting a classically styled Vera Cruise

Clipper's Vera Cruise Build

Return to “Power Boats”