Bob's Geronimo, a year later

Designs for inboard or outboard power

Moderator: BruceDow

bobinpowayca

Bob's Geronimo, a year later

Post by bobinpowayca » Mon Aug 05, 2019 12:57 pm

Howdy, been following Matt's Geronimo thread and the topics of what I'd do different and windshields came up so here's my two cents. I went with the aluminum castings from Eerie foundry as I'd seen a lot of other builders use; I spent a lot getting them triple chrome plated and had 1/4" tempered glass made. I would have liked them a little taller, but was worried about the glass breaking so my windshield only goes a couple inches higher than the castings.
The windshield looks really great but here's the problem: it's not tall enough and there's no side shield. Didn't think this was a problem but if you're going any speed at all and any chop at all the passenger will get some spray and that's a problem. The other thing is, it just in my opinion does not look as good as the designer's. And I hate to say it but it does make my boat look fat. A big reason I went with the castings is time - the finish carpentry I'd have to learn, the tools I no longer have access to, etc.
Anyway, I'm thinking of building a correct windshield - I like the postings I saw on Matt's thread of the boat show picture of the boat with basically three wood pieces - like the castings but beefier yet no top and bottom horizontal pieces on the top and bottom of the panes, and the sides would be several inches taller than the castings.. Then add the side panes. That would give the windshield stability, and with no little kids climbing on it the tempered glass is very strong. So that's my nest project.
Other thing is, I would move the bulkhead back at least 6". I put it there because that's where the number one frame is but I didn't need that much space for the battery and fuel tank so could've had more cockpit space. I was worried I would need a bigger tank, but my 14 gallon tank is plenty. I can run around the bay for 2 or 3 hours and only use half of it.
I built the brace from leftover oak and sappele, I have four 1/4" plywood panels with cleats along the lower edges I lay in place to support the boat cover so it doesn't puddle in the rain. Bob
Attachments
S0010078.JPG
Bob

hoodman

Re: Bob's Geronimo, a year later

Post by hoodman » Mon Aug 05, 2019 6:55 pm

Hey, Bob! Your Geronimo still looks great! I am still working on my windshield as well as the upholstery. I too put my bulkhead (for lack of a better term) at frame 1. Of course I also have a 1 foot stretch so I think it's pretty much a wash as far as interior space. The windshield as designed is not an easy project, however I have the most difficult parts finished.
Matt

Building a Geronimo......!
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=25139

bobinpowayca

Post by bobinpowayca » Thu Aug 08, 2019 9:49 am

Hi Matt, what special tools are you using building the windshield? I still have my windshield pane patterns (plywood) so I think I can get the arc right on the bottom of the windshield. Don't have a bandsaw or planer but I may invest in a router table. Bob
Bob

bobinpowayca

Post by bobinpowayca » Thu Aug 08, 2019 9:49 am

Hi Matt, what special tools are you using building the windshield? I still have my windshield pane patterns (plywood) so I think I can get the arc right on the bottom of the windshield. Don't have a bandsaw or planer but I may invest in a router table. Bob
Bob

hoodman

Post by hoodman » Thu Aug 08, 2019 10:07 am

No special tools. Just a no. 4 hand plane and a lot of going back and forth to the boat to get the deck arc right. All the joints in the windshield frame itself are mortise and tenon. I used a router to cut the rabbet for the glass.
Matt

Building a Geronimo......!
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=25139

Return to “Power Boats”