Florida Malahini Build

Designs for inboard or outboard power

Moderator: BruceDow

denbrlr

Re: Florida Malahini Build

Post by denbrlr »

Your boat is looking great. You will be making a splash before you know it :)

Lee

PeterG

Post by PeterG »

Great progress, really coming together now! Interesting issue with the windshield, what brackets did you use and where did you get them? I wonder if the variation in the deck shape between the center and the outer brackets was a factor?
Murphy's Law: Anything that can go wrong, will go wrong.
Griffin's Law: Murphy was an optimist.

altondavid

Post by altondavid »

You hit the nail right on the head with the variation of the deck shape. The outside brackets are on a portion of the deck that is gently sloped lower than the portion the center post sits on - this led to a slight depression of the angle at which the windshield enters the outer bracket.

I got my windshield brackets through Classic Boat Supplies: https://shop.classic-boat-supplies.com.au/ The are an australian outfit, so I ordered them very early in the process since it took a while to get them.

Here's a closer pic of just the brackets pre-install. They are beautiful - really happy with the quality and look of them and would recommend them to anyone looking for brackets. Our angle issue is not a huge problem, but I know we would have attacked differently if we had to do it over again so I think it bears discussion for anyone looking into getting them.
IMG_4127.JPG

DrBryanJ

Post by DrBryanJ »

Thanks for the info. I fear I may have the same issue when it is time for my windshield install.
Bryan

Building a malahini "Mona Lisa"

My wife said "If I build a boat, she's getting a divorce."
We're still happily married, but now she just wants "the dam boat out of the garage."

altondavid

Post by altondavid »

We had a few ideas:
1. Place spacers/washers under one side of the bracket to level them up and fill the gaps with epoxy or a make a wooden shim.
2. Remove some wood from the deck and bed one side lower of the bracket than the other. Might have taken this approach if we hadn't go so far along with finishing the topsides
3. Getting a thinner pane of tempered glass and covering it with rubber/bedding compound and hope that it doesn't shatter when we install it.
4. Get Lexan or plexiglass and call it a day

altondavid

Post by altondavid »

Lexan windshield has been installed! One of the things we had to work out was what to put along the bottom of the windshield.
IMG_5250.JPG
We had originally planned on putting some sort of gasket, but it turned out that was a little trickier than we had thought. My dad got the idea to use starboard, which is a handy type of plastic that should stand up to a marine environment and can be worked with your standard woodworking tools, in our case, a table saw. The downside is that pretty much nothing sticks to it, so adhering it can be challenging. My dad has a good friend (Bill) that worked as a cabinet maker for many years and he helped out quite a bit with the starboard work.
IMG_5252.JPG

altondavid

Post by altondavid »

We also went ahead attached our bow eye. We decided to go with a lifting shoulder bolt, in part because it was difficult to find exactly what we needed with a U bolt. We settled on monster bolt from grainger. Was able to dial up exactly what I wanted in terms of eye size, load, shank and thread length and material. Additionally, since it's just a single shank it made installation a good bit easier.

The bolt did show up unpolished, so we spend a little time doing a little bit of a polish with the dremel to get it more presentable.
IMG_5151.JPEG
IMG_5205.JPG
IMG_5206.JPG

hoodman

Post by hoodman »

The boat is looking great! Do you have a link to that eye that you bought? I want to get a much beefier one.
Matt

Building a Geronimo......!
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=25139

altondavid

Post by altondavid »

altondavid

Post by altondavid »

Next up was picking up the trailer, which we picked up from a shop nearby that my dad used when he built his Ampeater a couple of years ago. If you happen to be in the treasure coast are of Florida and are looking for a trailer I would recommend them - Meltra trailers. They took a real interest in our project and really helped guide us along.

Actually getting the boat onto the trailer was pretty exciting. We did end up putting some nicks in the paint job/varnish, but getting it onto the trailer and raising the boat a bit makes it a lot easier to spot and fix those spots.
IMG_5261.JPG
Cleaning up the topsides a bit before we put the motor on.
IMG_5282.JPG
IMG_5283.JPG

altondavid

Post by altondavid »

Went down to the tax collector's office to get the boat registered. I had been dreading that process, but thanks to advice from the forum I had all of my forms in order and brought my receipts so it turned out to be a relatively painless process. So now we've got the boat and trailer registered and tagged.

I also stopped by the local sign shop to get started on printing the name, turns out they don't stock gold leaf regularly so it will take a couple of weeks for that to be ready. I'm doing to registration numbers with cheaper letters, so that won't take as long.

We also took the boat down to the local marine center to get the engine put on. We had gone back and forth with the idea of trying to put the engine on ourselves, but after some consideration and thumbing through Yamaha's rigging guide we decided to have the pro's hang the outboard for us and rig it. We drilled the holes through the frames for everything but let them handle putting the holes in the motor well for the engine harness and the steering cable.
Dropping her off at the marine center. Looks good in the sunlight!
Dropping her off at the marine center. Looks good in the sunlight!
back at the shop with the engine on
back at the shop with the engine on
shot of the engine/transom
shot of the engine/transom

They left the wiring for me, so brought the boat back to the shop and got everything hooked up. I ended up nixing the bilge blower after talking to the guys at the marine center. That means I have an open switch that I might end up using for a horn. Still need to install the bilge pump, but everything else is good to go. Now we need to bring it back to the engine guys to fit the prop and they will do a test to make sure we're getting the proper hole shot/break in the motor. But before we do that, we're hoping to get our cutwater on!

DrBryanJ

Post by DrBryanJ »

She looks really nice! Glad everything went smoothly. Why did you decide against the bilge blower? I am going back and forth on including on.
Bryan

Building a malahini "Mona Lisa"

My wife said "If I build a boat, she's getting a divorce."
We're still happily married, but now she just wants "the dam boat out of the garage."

bstrong

Post by bstrong »

Looks Great!!!!

footer

Post by footer »

Your boat looks beautiful. Good luck with your prop selection. Let us know how it turns out.
Do you know what the gear ratio is for your Yamaha?

denbrlr

Post by denbrlr »

She looks great!

Lee

Return to “Power Boats”