Florida Malahini Build

Designs for inboard or outboard power

Moderator: BruceDow

altondavid

Re: Florida Malahini Build

Post by altondavid »

Thank you for the kind words all!

Footer, the gear ratio for this Yamaha (F70) is 2.33:1.

DrByran, I had been struggling with the cosmetics of installing the vent - I really didn't like the look of the clamshell vent I had purchased to hide the vent. I was looking at ways to hide a louvered vent in the motorwell, which was also not something I was excited about. The guys down at the marine center told me it would be really unnecessary for a blower given the arrangement of everything when I asked for their thoughts. To be completely honest, if I had been more excited about the look of the vent I would have proceeded with the install.

Hercdrvr

Post by Hercdrvr »

I had that exact ladder and bracket on my Malahini, mounted in the same spot. Just so you know, here’s what happens when you forget to pull in the ladder and hit the throttle.

Matt B
Attachments
54E32B56-6BBF-4280-BECA-4FF3C2FC3FB0.jpeg
A7529924-2389-46C6-9AE0-7823EB25ABD8.jpeg

Andy Garrett

Post by Andy Garrett »

Great boat!

I too have the same dive ladder in the same spot--toiled over that solution for a long time. And..., we never get into the water anymore.
Andy Garrett

Perhaps the slowest Zip build in Glen-L history...

altondavid

Post by altondavid »

Yikes - will have to be extra careful with our ladder...

We tackled the cutwater after spending a considerable time debating how to approach it over the course of our build. My dad had always been for it, but I went back and forth on it. Metalworking is not something that is in our skillset, so we had some trepidation about trying to fashion our own. I called around and saw about getting one made, but wasn’t pleased with the quotes I’d received. Then I read Sarnian’s posts about making his cutwater and we were inspired to try his method for our boat.

We ordered a couple of sheets of 20 gauge Stainless Steel from McMaster – one cheaper 304 with rough finish and the other a more expensive 316 with a mirror finish on it. We used the 304 plate for a sacrificial test run. We made a pattern and sandwiched the steel with plywood, running it through the bandsaw to cut it out. Then, simply put it into vise and bent it to shape. Cleaned up the edges with a bench grinder and it didn’t look half bad. The bend wasn’t quite right, but with the lessons learned pulled out the 316 plate and did it for real. The 20 gauge was pretty easy to punch holes into for the screws as well. After a dry fit we drilled out the hole for the bow eye as well.
IMG_5396.JPG
IMG_5393.JPG
IMG_5407.JPG

JimmY

Post by JimmY »

Wow, so no welding? Very ingenious.
-Jim
Nothing says poor craftsmanship like wrinkles in your duct tape!

denbrlr

Post by denbrlr »

That turned out great, especially with only one trial before making the final version.

Lee

Sarnian

Post by Sarnian »

fantastic - looks great! - welding...I agree - thin stainless is such a challenge to get perfect. Glad the bending worked for you too - I ended up making a home-made brake out of some 2x4s to do mine. Congratulations - your boat is looking fantastic and close to being ready to splash

footer

Post by footer »

That turned out good. I never thought of that. I welded mine from two 18ga pieces because I followed the contour. It was challenging.

That really sucks about the ladder. Hope it didn’t doo too much damage.

The old school 650 and the new 60 CT Merc’s are right at 2.33:1 too.
The new standard thrust Merc is 1.87:1
Attachments
6FC388E0-C7BE-459F-84DE-8C54EC856602.jpeg

altondavid

Post by altondavid »

In case anyone is interested, here's a few more shots of the process with the trial piece of unfinished 304:
IMG_5359.JPG
IMG_5362.JPG
IMG_5363.JPG

altondavid

Post by altondavid »

Things are sort of on hold for us right now with COVID, but I was able to take some time to pretty up my wiring diagram.
Malahini Electrical Diagram.png

altondavid

Post by altondavid »

Been a little while since my last update, but quite a bit has happened so I'll be cranking out a few posts back to back.

A few weeks ago we got the name and registration numbers ordered and put on the boat and also installed a horn. We got cheap lettering from BoatUs for the numbers but sprung for the real stuff for the name at a local sign shop.
IMG_6153.JPG
IMG_6038.JPG
We hadn't been planning on going with a horn, but since we ended up not going with a bilge blower we had a switch installed with nothing attached to it. We think it turned out really well, and like my dad says, you really can't go wrong with putting something shiny on the deck. I do have it hooked up to an on/off switch for now, so eventually want to go back and swap in a momentary switch. One detail you can see in the photo is the little nut we attached under the back of the horn to hide the wire. Initially you could see the wire dropping down in the hull.
IMG_6039.JPG

altondavid

Post by altondavid »

This week things settled down enough with COVID that we were able to take the boat down to the marine center for the prop, drop her in the water, and break the engine in.

Everything went really well. I had been a little worried about the weight in her back end but she sat in the water beautifully. We took her out and cranked through some RPM ranges. Got her up to 35-37 mph at 6500 RPMs, which is right where we wanted to be. We had a beautiful, relatively calm day out on the intracoastal and the ride was quite smooth and dry.

IMG_6353.JPEG
IMG_6345.JPEG
IMG_6349.JPEG

altondavid

Post by altondavid »

The next day we took her out for a shake down cruise on the intracoastal off Vero Beach with my wife, dog, brother, and SIL along. Fully loaded she started to porpoise a little bit when we got north of 35 mph, but I think I can play with the trim a bit to fix that.

Here's some pics of me, somewhat terrified, taking her back off the ramp.
IMG_6342.JPEG
IMG_6364.JPG
IMG_6362.JPG

altondavid

Post by altondavid »

My dad was able to get a few shots of us cruising around from under the bridge as well:
IMG_6366.JPG
IMG_6369.JPG
IMG_6373.PNG

Biss

Post by Biss »

Looks great! Congratulations on the successful launch!

Return to “Power Boats”