IMG_2045.JPG
side of the boat after sanding
Attachments
IMG_2049.JPG
close up of the bung detail

altondavid

Re: Florida Malahini Build

Post by altondavid » Mon Aug 19, 2019 12:49 pm

Here's some pics of the finished planking product. The bow joint turned out really well - I had always really liked the look of a classic boat with a bright cutwater, but with the way the bow joint and book match worked out it seems a shame to cover it up.

Also, the sapele on the transom came out really pretty.
IMG_2060.JPG
IMG_2061.JPG
IMG_2062.JPG

altondavid

Post by altondavid » Mon Aug 19, 2019 12:52 pm

Last pre flip work on the hull
IMG_2125.JPG
Getting ready for final layers on the hull
IMG_2137.JPG
IMG_2161.JPG
Paint job

altondavid

Post by altondavid » Mon Aug 19, 2019 12:56 pm

Got some help from some family friends for the flip
IMG_2165.JPG
Flip part 1
IMG_2166.JPG
Flip part 2
IMG_2167.JPG
Post flip!

footer

Post by footer » Tue Aug 20, 2019 7:34 am

Nice job matching the grain at the bow. Looks great.

altondavid

Post by altondavid » Tue Aug 20, 2019 5:32 pm

So we didn’t put notches in the frames for drainage before attaching the plywood hull, so we bored those out and re-encapsulated them. If we had to do it over again I think we would have tried to come up with a better way to do this. In this shot you can also see the floor battens.
IMG_2282.JPG
Next big portion of the project is getting the motorwell done, so we start with the transom cutout. You can see the added thickness to the transom in this shot.
IMG_2222.JPG
Next, added the drains to the back of the transom. My dad did the flares here, and I think they turned out pretty sharp looking.
IMG_2318.JPG

altondavid

Post by altondavid » Tue Aug 20, 2019 6:07 pm

IMG_2317.JPG
IMG_2354.JPG
Here you can see some of the detail my dad added in. We wanted to do an inlay for the floor instead of straight plywood, so here was the test drive for it.
IMG_2355.JPG

altondavid

Post by altondavid » Tue Aug 20, 2019 6:14 pm

So at this point of the build, I’d been spending a bunch of time thinking about peripherals: hardware, steering, electric, gas tank, gauges, etc and I want to spend a little bit of time talking about some of those decisions.

Gas Tank
So I did some research and figured out I wanted to get a plastic tank, somewhere in the 17-19 gallon range, and I wanted to mount it in the back of the boat between the seats and the motorwell on the starboard side, near the centerline. Arrived at the gallon number by some back of the envelope math concerning weight/and about how long I thought we would be on the water on average. For location, I had tossed around the idea of a forward tank, but ultimately I thought it would complicate installation and I was a little worried about weight distribution. I weigh about 200 pounds (and the numbers only gonna go up) and will be doing most of the driving so my thought process was the tank would balance me out. So, we went with a 17 gallon mueller tank and went and purchased the mueller install kit as well. So far havent regretted that decision, but time will tell!

Bilge Pump
The plan is for this boat to be trailered and rarely spend much time in the water or at anchor so I went with a 500 gph rule pump that will run of a simple off/on switch. We plan to have the pump empty into the motor well, but havent gotten to the install just yet. Curious to hear if anyone thinks that’s a bad idea.

Bilge Blower
I really went back and forth with this, but in the end, decided to go with a blower system. I picked up a 3 inch attwood blower and the plan is to install a clamshell vent for exhaust and leave some space for intake venting around the rear seat. May end up going with some louvred vents down by the seats, but for now we are planning on just leaving it open. Would love get some input from anyone else that’s done a blower install in a malahini.

Windshield brackets
Oh man did spend a lot of time trying to get my hands on a pair of decently priced windshield brackets. I spent a bunch of time on ebay and cruising the internet, but I ended up ordering some from Classic Boat Supplies, which is an overseas outfit. Havent gotten them yet, so I’m hoping they turn out okay.
https://shop.classic-boat-supplies.com. ... me-plated/
The price is in AUD, so you get a pretty good break on the exchange rate. Only downside is shipping to the states.

Steering
We went with the Seastar NFB 4.2 helm. We got a 15 foot steering cable, but after we laid everything out we’re a bit worried it’s too long, so we may end up getting a 14 footer.

altondavid

Post by altondavid » Tue Aug 20, 2019 6:39 pm

Electric
So I spent an absolute ton of time on electric/wiring so I wanted to create a separate post on that.
Beyond taking Circuits back in college I had very little background in electric work, so I felt very unprepared to wire up a boat and then bet my life on it not catching on fire. I bought a marine wiring basics book on amazon, but it was too basic on some things and bit outdated on others. I ended up stumbling on this youtube series that I found really informative; it’s pretty long and touches on a lot of stuff that’s not applicable for my build, but nonetheless I recommend it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fHZtYFH-0Pc

The blue seas circuit wizard was also a big help when it came time to figure out wire gauges, and I also can't recommend that enough.
http://circuitwizard.bluesea.com/

I drew up my wiring diagram by hand:
IMG_3038.JPG
I'll eventually I'll create a prettier version on the computer, but this works for now while it's still a WIP. I ended up making a few changes to gauge sizes. It ended up being more economical to buy large spools of larger gauge ancor wire on amazon as opposed to buying smaller lengths of smaller gauge wiring, so everything is either getting wired as 4 AWG or 14 AWG.

I also think I'm going to add a forward negative bus, since I think that will make grounding the gauges a bit easier.

I decided to add an Auto charging relay, which I haven't seen many other people on the forum do, so I'd be curious if anyone has feedback on that process.

Sarnian

Post by Sarnian » Tue Aug 20, 2019 9:01 pm

Nice work...you are rocking along. I like the detail in the motor well.

JimmY

Post by JimmY » Wed Aug 21, 2019 6:05 am

Looking good.

My comments on your bilge pump question, my pump empties into the motor well on my Squirt. No sense in putting another hole in the side of your boat. I have a 2 position switch and my pump as the auto-float in it. My boat is stored on a lift, and the switch is always in the first position (float activated). It is cheap insurance if it rains or the cover leaks when I'm not around, in your case you won't need to think about the pump when you are the water it will just take care of itself.

For wiring, look at bestboatwire.com , they had the lowest prices when I was wiring my boat. And you can get the 4 gauge cables made up with terminals and shrink wrap cheaper than you can buy the materials and make them.
-Jim
Nothing says poor craftsmanship like wrinkles in your duct tape!

footer

Post by footer » Wed Aug 21, 2019 7:44 am

I used an 18 gal aluminum tank and mounted it, like you said, only mine is centered and I had to mount my battery on the stbd side because my fuel fill is on the port. With all that, I still don't notice the inbalance as I'm driving by myself, but my wife is with me 90% of the time. and the boat planes out great with the two of us.
I used the 4.2 steering with the 14' cable and still had a little slack, but it came out perfect. I like the 4.2 as it really doesn't give any prop torque feedback, it's a little stiff though.
Ultimately, I will put a couple of top vents on my stern, but i get almost no water in my boat and I have room around the sides of my rear seat. I don't really see the need for a blower, but that's just me. I have a little plastic 1000gpm bilge pump that works great and I pump it out the side. It shoots a 1" stream out about 4'. I was amazed. I would think even with a 500gpm might shoot too hard and splatter all over into the motor well. You could empty it out the transom if you didn't like the side.
I made my own windshield and brackets, so, I didn't have to deal with that issue
I have pictures of some of this on my post, "MI Malahini build, post flip".
Your build is looking great and moving along fast.

hoodman

Post by hoodman » Wed Aug 21, 2019 8:47 am

Y'all are doing great and everything looks spot on. I put the bilge pump in the lowest part of the hull, which in the Geronimo is not the transom. It's more like around frame 5. So it pumps out through the side of the hull up in the bow. 17 gallons of fuel will be plenty. I have a 12-gallon tank with 90hp and I've found that to be adequate for my uses.
Matt

Building a Geronimo......!
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=25139

altondavid

Post by altondavid » Thu Aug 22, 2019 6:23 pm

Jimmy, that's a good tip on bestboatwire - too bad I've already purchased all the stuff to make them on my own. Next boat though...

Footer, good to know about the 14 foot cable working for you. We may just go back and pick up one of those and try to resell the 15 foot cable. We'll have a very similar battery and fuel set up in our boat as yours, which makes me feel better about our planning.

While I was pondering the electric system my dad was working on the floor. First thing was the inlays - the motor well was marine ply with black walnut, and the contrast wasn't quite right, so for the floor we used cypress. Cypress has always been a favorite of ours (I've got a couple of tables made out of the stuff) and it was much easier/softer to work with. Ripped the cypress on the table saw and used a router for the grooves, then glued the strips in and drove them in with a mallet. Here's the end result:
IMG_2898.JPG
It will eventually get coated with a varnish with some grit mixed in to make the floor less slick when wet, but we won't tackle that for a bit.

As for the floor design, we want it to be semi permanent, with the ability to get into it if necessary. However, that would require removing the front seats which will be a bit of a pain. Well have access to the bilge through the motor well area, but I was wondering if people thought it necessary to have more ready access to the bilge more forward. We're thinking about building a hatch into the floor for that purpose, but it seems like it may be a waste of effort.

Speaking of seats, here's what we've got for those:
IMG_2495.JPG
IMG_2496.JPG
We are planning on eventually installing the front seats using some aluminum brackets, the back of the back seat bench with be removeable for access to the battery switch and some storage space, and the entire bench itself will be installed with latches so it can be easily removed for access to all the pumps/blowers/gas tank/electric component.

altondavid

Post by altondavid » Thu Aug 22, 2019 6:42 pm

Once we had the seats figured built, we laid out the dash placement and seat placement the good old fashioned way - got in the boat and figured out what felt the best:
IMG_2512.JPEG
We ended up moving the seats a little bit further back since I'm on the taller side, and we figured out where we wanted to controller to go. We're going to have a box that will contain the controller unit and fit into the coaming.
IMG_3041.JPG
We spent some time looking for steering wheel, but couldnt find anything that grabbed our fancy so my dad made one of an aluminum spider and some sapele. I'm a little worried about the aluminum holding up long term, but it turned out real pretty
IMG_2952.JPG

Return to “Power Boats”