Florida Malahini Build

Designs for inboard or outboard power

Moderator: BruceDow

altondavid

Re: Florida Malahini Build

Post by altondavid » Wed Dec 04, 2019 8:38 am

Here's a shot of the bow after the rail has been installed - we will eventually had a stainless rub rail. Right now the plan is to go with 1/2 inch stainless from Taco, but we're not sure if we are going to go with hollow back or solid. Hollow back is obviously cheaper, but we're a little worried about the ease of creating solid joints with the hollow back. One thing I have learned about rub rail is that if you try to purchase it in sizable lengths the try to charge you freight shipping, which can be more expensive than the rail itself, which means it's more practical to purchase and ship smaller sections.
IMG_4538.JPG
Here's some more detail on the rail install:
IMG_4515.JPG
Bonus shot of my dad with the boat before any sort of finish is applied:
IMG_4523.JPG
This part of the build was super fun - all of the detail around the decking was rewarding. Additionally, it's starting to get much easier to visualize the final product.

Bill Edmundson

Post by Bill Edmundson » Wed Dec 04, 2019 10:02 am

This is where to get you rub rail. http://www.marineind.net/index.htm They make it for most everyone else.

Bill
Mini -Tug, KH Tahoe 19 & Bartender 24 - There can be no miracle recoveries without first screwing up.
Tahoe 19 Build

Oyster

Post by Oyster » Wed Dec 04, 2019 11:01 am

That deck is beautiful. When you get several coats on it, then you will really see the fruits of your labor. Good job!

Sarnian

Post by Sarnian » Wed Dec 04, 2019 12:58 pm

I got my rub rail from the place Bill mentions above (thanks again for this suggestion Bill) - they were great - really good folks to deal with. I bought two twenty foot lengths, and I can confirm shipping was quite a painful number - :shock:

mrintense

Post by mrintense » Sat Dec 07, 2019 6:49 am

Looking very nice David.
Carl

Crafting a classically styled Vera Cruise

Carl's Vera Cruise Build

footer

Post by footer » Fri Dec 13, 2019 11:49 am

The price on Rub rail Is ok, but shipping is astronomical!
So, I went down to Alro steel and bought some 1/4”x1/2” cold rolled stainless strips and I’m drilling, sanding it a bit round and polishing it. It should look ok, and be in my tax bracket

altondavid

Post by altondavid » Tue Feb 04, 2020 10:38 am

Been a while since my last update, but we've been busy! Lots of work done on the topsides. Finish went on and things are looking very nice.
IMG_4555.JPG
Getting shiny...
IMG_4631.JPG

altondavid

Post by altondavid » Tue Feb 04, 2020 10:42 am

Heres a few shots of the progress on the rest of the finish
IMG_4565.JPG
IMG_4665.JPG
IMG_4566.JPG

DrBryanJ

Post by DrBryanJ » Tue Feb 04, 2020 10:43 am

Look Good!
Bryan

Building a malahini "Mona Lisa"

My wife said "If I build a boat, she's getting a divorce."
We're still happily married, but now she just wants "the dam boat out of the garage."

altondavid

Post by altondavid » Tue Feb 04, 2020 10:55 am

Next up was to figure the strakes out. My dad had been somewhat dreading this, as figuring out a reference point is a nightmare. What we ended up doing was creating three little platforms that were the exact height we wanted the strakes. Then (after making sure the boat is level) we fit out a pattern, cut out the strake, and then fit it to the hull and finished it.

Neat side story, my dad found tracked down a nice piece of South American Mahogany that was the right size for our purpose - the rest of the boat is sapele or "african" mahogany. So now I don't have to feel like I'm stretching the truth saying it's a genuine mahogany runabout :)
IMG_4858.JPG
IMG_4926.JPG
IMG_4928.JPG

altondavid

Post by altondavid » Tue Feb 04, 2020 11:12 am

Next up was fittings! First thing we wanted to tackle was the Swim Ladder. After a bunch of looking at pictures and reading through the forum I ended up going with a lower profile dive ladder set up. Specifically, one of the Garelick 3 step telescoping options. Installing it is a little tricky due to the angle of the transom. We had to add an additional shim to the mount they provided. Another thing to note is that the transom angle is aggressive enough on the malihini that getting the ladder in and out of the bracket a bit more difficult – it can’t be lifted straight up and has to be rotated to fully remove.

I’m also worried about dropping the ladder into the drink when I’m putting it in/taking it out. I’m thinking about rigging up some sort of system to loop a line over a cleat but would be curious to hear if anyone has a clever solution.
IMG_4782.JPG
IMG_4783.JPG
IMG_5160.JPEG

altondavid

Post by altondavid » Tue Feb 04, 2020 11:26 am

Next up was hull fittings: Gas fill and vent, aft light, forward light, cleats, chocks, and windshield brackets.

The fuel fill/vent came with the tank we purchased, so we pretty much just installed those in the places that made the most sense. For the fill we went straight up from the tank, and for the vent we straight over to the hull on the port side.
IMG_4945.JPG
IMG_4944.JPG
We wrangled a bit on the aft light placement, eventually elected to center it. I know you can only see the cover for the light but it flips out and the light pole goes in when you need it. You can also see the rear cleat placement
IMG_4986.JPG

altondavid

Post by altondavid » Tue Feb 04, 2020 2:38 pm

We looked at a ton of pictures and ended up placing two cleats near the windshield, a chock between the windshield and the light, and then chocks near the bow with enough clearance so a line will not run afoul the light.
IMG_4987.JPG
We installed the windshield brackets and created some templates with the idea that we would get some tempered glass made from a local outfit
IMG_4935.JPG
IMG_4940.JPG
Unfortunately with our layout the angles for the brackets aren't quite perfect. The center post sits slight higher and the template needs to flex a bit to fit right. So we had two options. Solve the problem by monkeying around with the bracket placement (ie raise the angle of the outer brackets, or lower the angle of the center post) or use a more flexible glass. After some back and forth we elected to give Lexan a shot since our attempts at coming up with an aesthically pleasing AND relatively easy solution to our angle problem were not working. I know Lexan has a reputation for discoloring/clouding, so if ends up being a problem we'll burn that bridge at a later time.

altondavid

Post by altondavid » Tue Feb 04, 2020 3:14 pm

Next up was upholstery work. This was something that was not in my dad’s skillset, but my mother has quilted for ages and was able to help him through the process.

For materials we used high density foam from Sailrite – 3 inch for the seat bottoms and 2 inch for the backs. We used white vinyl we also got from Sailrite to cover everything. We used an exterior thread with a leather needle to stitch the corners and then stapled the backs to a sheet of marine ply.

End results turned out very sharp/clean:
IMG_5129.JPG
IMG_5130.JPG
IMG_5132.JPG
Few bonus details can be seen in these pictures as well. On the port side of the boat we added a little glove box for storage. It will mirror the control box on the starboard side and will provide an easy access place to keep phones/crap

You can also see the changed to the seat tops my dad made. Original the tops were square, so it clashed a bit with the lines of the rest of the cockpit - its much easier on the eyes now, but the photos don't quite do it justice.

Bill Edmundson

Post by Bill Edmundson » Tue Feb 04, 2020 4:46 pm

I think that is the same foam I used. I used 2" and 1". I rounded all the corners, too.

Bill
Mini -Tug, KH Tahoe 19 & Bartender 24 - There can be no miracle recoveries without first screwing up.
Tahoe 19 Build

Return to “Power Boats”