Three years on...time for some repairs & changes. HELP!!

Designs for inboard or outboard power

Moderator: BruceDow

JimmY

Re: Three years on...time for some repairs & changes. HELP!!

Post by JimmY » Sun Aug 25, 2019 5:16 am

I'm always amazed at the ingenuity and creativity of builders on this forum. Glad you got the old bow eye out.

I'm sorry to say I have the same hardware on my boat(it looked cool at the time). I'll have to keep an eye on it, but I don't tow it very much and don't use it to tie up. Maybe I can rig a safety strap from the winch to my deck cleats? Any comments on that?

Thanks for bringing this potential issue to the forum.
-Jim
Nothing says poor craftsmanship like wrinkles in your duct tape!

Mark-NJ

Post by Mark-NJ » Sun Aug 25, 2019 7:07 am

My thoughts? Here ya go...

This picture is all over the internet...I'm sure you've all seen it before.

Point is: you can't predict what will happen on the highway, and if you're in an accident, NOTHING is more important than keeping the boat on the trailer. So what went wrong here?

The kinetic energy of a boat of even marginal weight during a wreck is tremendous. "A body in motion..." and all that other cool Newtonian stuff. Keeping the boat on the trailer requires straps and chains:

And a die-cast pot metal bow eye simply isn't going to survive. Just from basic towing, mine is already developing stress cracks...I can't imaging it surviving a wreck. It's quite literally the "weak link in the chain". This is the biggest reason I'm changing mine. Plus all the other reasons I cited...

BillW

Post by BillW » Sun Aug 25, 2019 9:47 am

Do the cracks in the bow eye radiate out from the threaded hole? Could they be seen before removal?

Did the whacking cause more damage to the bow eye, as well as the shackles?

Did it make the cracks worse?

Mark-NJ

Post by Mark-NJ » Sun Aug 25, 2019 10:19 am

BillW wrote:
Sun Aug 25, 2019 9:47 am
Do the cracks in the bow eye radiate out from the threaded hole? Could they be seen before removal?
Yes and yes
BillW wrote:
Sun Aug 25, 2019 9:47 am
Did the whacking cause more damage to the bow eye, as well as the shackles?

Did it make the cracks worse?
I didn't take that close of a look at it, but it didn't break apart. The cracks *might* be superficial...there's no way for me to inspect them at any meaningful metallurgical way. The shackles looked fine, but I couldn't get the threaded barrel to move on one of them, so deformation and/or galling occurred. I pitched both of them along with the eye.

mrintense

Post by mrintense » Sun Aug 25, 2019 3:04 pm

Definitely some useful and interesting information here. I too started off with that same bow eye, mainly because it was the only one with a long enough threaded rod. But after drilling the hole early on, I had second thoughts about the strength for pulling a heavier boat. Admittedly, I was concerned more about the shear strength of the single threaded rod, but the concern was the same. I do wish someone would make the "U" style with longer threads.
Carl
a.k.a. Clipper

Crafting a classically styled Vera Cruise

Clipper's Vera Cruise Build

Bill Edmundson

Post by Bill Edmundson » Sun Aug 25, 2019 3:17 pm

After I had put in the single eye, I found a place that would make them as long as you want them at not a bad price. I'll try to fined them again.

Billl
Mini -Tug, KH Tahoe 19 & Bartender 24 - There can be no miracle recoveries without first screwing up.
Tahoe 19 Build

mrintense

Post by mrintense » Sun Aug 25, 2019 3:20 pm

Bill Edmundson wrote:
Sun Aug 25, 2019 3:17 pm
After I had put in the single eye, I found a place that would make them as long as you want them at not a bad price. I'll try to fined them again.

Billl
Thanks Bill, that would be great.
Carl
a.k.a. Clipper

Crafting a classically styled Vera Cruise

Clipper's Vera Cruise Build

Rich Coey

Post by Rich Coey » Sun Aug 25, 2019 7:41 pm

Just a little on the outside will seal it. no need in the holes, it’s not even under water.

Rich

watkibe

Post by watkibe » Sat Aug 31, 2019 4:55 pm

You missed the 4th thing that can happen by "misusing" a tool: you get the job done. My dad taught me to respect tools, never misusing or modifying them.
I now disagree.
The best mechanics I have ever known were all about getting the job done; if it meant you had to grind a wrench to fit in a tight space, so what ? Think about the old fashioned one piece flat screwdriver. It is far better than the newer drivers that take bits for some jobs, because it is also a small scraper and pry bar. I imagine that prying and scraping may be as frequently done as turning a screw.
Don't get me wrong: I am not advocating unsafe misuse or abuse of your tools. I am saying that the task may be more important than the tool. If there is a purpose built tool available, use it ! All too often, there is not, and adaptation and improvisation may be required to overcome.

By the way, good work reinventing to slide hammer ! And I admire your persistence in finding the right solution. When I built Mr. Jon and Pirogue, I installed the bow eye (sold by GlenL) with epoxy, having no intention of replacing it. I had faith in the bow eye and my work, so the installation was permanent. Also, I never intended the bow eye to be the sole fastening point; I always used a couple of ratchet straps across the hull and at the transom when it was trailered. I figured that the bow eye was for towing, and for winching onto the trailer, not a hold down.
From the Great Pacific Northwest !

Return to “Power Boats”